[complete] Heimskringla, by Sturleson - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aerikbjornsson

Post by aerikbjornsson »

Heimskringla: The Stories of the Kings of Norway, Called The Round World (Volume 1 to 3) by Snorri Sturleson (1178 - 1241). Translated by William Morris (1834 - 1896) and Eiríkur Magnússon (1833 - 1913)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/heimskringla-the-stories-of-the-kings-of-norway-called-the-round-world-by-snorri-sturleson/

Since I just finished my first solo (Norway and the Union with Sweden), and have finished my group recordings, I would like to set up this other solo and get it organized and ready to go while I finish editing my Norwegian History (I'm on medical leave so I have many hours every day for this ^^) :D

[ABANDONED by soloist December 2017 // Project adopted 31 Jan 2018.]
Heimskringla (Icelandic pronunciation: [ˈheimsˌkʰriŋla]) is the best known of the Old Norse kings' sagas. It was written in Old Norse in Iceland by the poet and historian Snorri Sturluson (1178/79–1241) ca. 1230. The name Heimskringla was first used in the 17th century, derived from the first two words of one of the manuscripts (kringla heimsins - the circle of the world).

Heimskringla is a collection of sagas about the Norwegian kings, beginning with the saga of the legendary Swedish dynasty of the Ynglings, followed by accounts of historical Norwegian rulers from Harald Fairhair of the 9th century up to the death of the pretender Eystein Meyla in 1177. The exact sources of his work are disputed, but included earlier kings' sagas, such as Morkinskinna, Fagrskinna and the twelfth century Norwegian synoptic histories and oral traditions, notably many skaldic poems. Snorri had himself visited Norway and Sweden. For events of the mid-12th century, Snorri explicitly names the now lost work Hryggjarstykki as his source. The composition of the sagas is Snorri's.

This solo is Volume 3-5 of The Saga Library by the same translators and is all three volumes of the Heimskringla (which are volumes 3, 4, 5 and 6 of the Saga Library. Volume 6 is notes, index, appendices etc, and is not planned to be recorded). ( Wikipedia and Ærik Bjørnsson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/sagalibrarydonei03snor
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Heimskringla: The Stories of the Kings of Norway, Called The Round World. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Heimskringla: The Stories of the Kings of Norway, Called The Round World, by Snorri Sturleson. Translated by George Pope Morris and Eiríkur Magnússon [Chapter Title] [Part]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Heimskringla by Snorri Sturleson. Translated by George Pope Morris and Eiríkur Magnússon. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title] [Part]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Heimskringla: The Stories of the Kings of Norway, Called The Round World, by Snorri Sturleson. Translated by George Pope Morris and Eiríkur Magnússon"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename heimskringla_##_sturleson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. heimskringlavol1_01_sturleson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      Please use your BC/DPL login.
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by aerikbjornsson on November 5th, 2016, 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl if one is needed.
DaveC
aerikbjornsson

Post by aerikbjornsson »

craigdav1 wrote:Would enjoy being dpl if one is needed.
DaveC
Nice, I knew you'd be quick off the bat on this one!

Hey, speaking of baseball references, you're from Chicago right? Is the whole city still in the street partying? :D :lol:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Just got back from the Cubs parade where I and 5 million of my closest friends cheered for our "cubbies."
aerikbjornsson

Post by aerikbjornsson »

craigdav1 wrote:Just got back from the Cubs parade where I and 5 million of my closest friends cheered for our "cubbies."
Awesome, congratulations, I was so happy to see them finally win, 'someday' has arrived :D
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Aerik,
I can be your MC for this project. I will set up the MW, be right back.
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hi Aerik,
MW all set up. The project looks very interesting.

A few remarks:
- you suggested a large number of genres. We try to keep the genres somewhat clean and restricted. When we moved from one system to another, and had to go through all our projects, we noticed that the genre system wasn't working at all anymore, because people had put in as many genres as they could for any book; so an innocent children's book would be in 'action & adventure' if the children had an adventure on the beach, or the bible was in non-fiction as well as fiction and history and so on... (let's not start a discussion on that one ;) ). Shall we put this book in sagas or in the Myths/Legends/Fairy Tales genre? I think the latter would fit best?
- the file name looks good. Don't forget to add the _128kb at the end.
- you're welcome to leave out the ID3 tags, I can add them automatically to each file at the cataloguing stage.

Dave, thanks for PL-ing, I've added you to the project, you should have access to the MW.

That's it I think. Let me know if you have any questions, or problems!
Anna
lezer

Post by lezer »

:D I see you've already started on the MW!

About your question in pm:
ey, thanks! :D Do you know if it's allowed to merge multiple books into one project? I know it would take much longer, and I won't make the decision until I'm well into the project, but the print version of the Heimskringla covers 3 books despite being originally one long compendium of multiple sagas. It would be cool to merge of them into one project, although it would end up being around 40 hours, lol
I think that will be fine, if you want to do that. It's very easy to add more sections. We could add the extra sections now, or you could first start on volume 1 and then decide whether you will continue with the rest in this same project when you get to the end?
Anna
aerikbjornsson

Post by aerikbjornsson »

lezer wrote::D I see you've already started on the MW!

About your question in pm:
ey, thanks! :D Do you know if it's allowed to merge multiple books into one project? I know it would take much longer, and I won't make the decision until I'm well into the project, but the print version of the Heimskringla covers 3 books despite being originally one long compendium of multiple sagas. It would be cool to merge of them into one project, although it would end up being around 40 hours, lol
I think that will be fine, if you want to do that. It's very easy to add more sections. We could add the extra sections now, or you could first start on volume 1 and then decide whether you will continue with the rest in this same project when you get to the end?
Actually, yeah, I think I will do that, and combine the 3 volumes into one long one!
lezer

Post by lezer »

That's fine by me. Dave, this does mean a much larger project to PL than you signed up for... if it gets too much after volume 1, we can always look for some help, feel free to let us know.
Anna
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

lezer wrote:That's fine by me. Dave, this does mean a much larger project to PL than you signed up for... if it gets too much after volume 1, we can always look for some help, feel free to let us know.
I will. After proofing a 38-hour "word perfect" book though I'm ready for just about anything.
aerikbjornsson

Post by aerikbjornsson »

craigdav1 wrote:I will. After proofing a 38-hour "word perfect" book though I'm ready for just about anything.
I never doubted for a moment you'd be up for it :D

So it begins, the great saga of our times.
Let's begin our epic tale....at the beginning! Preface ready for PL, to start us off

(this translation is intentionally archaic on the part of Mr. Morris by the way, so if some words seem strange, that's on purpose :thumbs: )
lezer

Post by lezer »

Let's move to Going Solo.

You should leave the "vol1" out of the title of the mp3 now, of course (but this can also be fixed automatically at cataloging.
Anna
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

0 PL OK.

Only 76 left!
aerikbjornsson

Post by aerikbjornsson »

lezer wrote:Let's move to Going Solo.

You should leave the "vol1" out of the title of the mp3 now, of course (but this can also be fixed automatically at cataloging.
good point ill change the following ones