COMPLETE World's Best Poetry, Vol. 2 (Part I)-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The World's Best Poetry, Volume 2: Love (Part 1) by Various ( - ).

This project is now complete and can be found in our catalog here: https://librivox.org/the-worlds-best-poetry-volume-2-part-1/
The second of ten volumes of poetry edited by Canadian poet laureate Bliss Carman (1861-1929). This collection, the first of two parts, includes a range of famous and influential love poems relating to such topics as admiration; love's nature; love's beginnings; and wooing and winning. It also includes an introductory essay by American poet John Vance Cheney (1848-1922). ( Tomas Peter)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x002588822;view=1up;seq=9
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "[Poem] by [author], from The World's Best Poetry, Volume 2: Love, Part I. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish. Then repeat the poem's title.

If the poem has been translated from another language, say:
    • "[Poem title] by [original author], translated from the [original language] by [translator]; from The World's Best Poetry, Volume 2: Love, Part I. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish. Then repeat the poem's title.

END of recording
    • At the end of a poem, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition): "End of The World's Best Poetry, Volume 2: Love, Part I."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording

Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    worldsbestpoetryvolume2_1_###_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. worldsbestpoetryvolume2_1_001_various_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by WiltedScribe on October 18th, 2016, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

just checking in to get this on my notify list :mrgreen:

I'm all ready for Love :9:

Sonia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tomas,

I'd be happy to MC this for you.

Suggest that we use the full disclaimer for the first section (the essay). Then switch to the short poetry disclaimer for the poems themselves.

MaryAnn
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Tomas,

I'd be happy to MC this for you.

Suggest that we use the full disclaimer for the first section (the essay). Then switch to the short poetry disclaimer for the poems themselves.

MaryAnn
Thank you, MaryAnn! :) I have updated the essay's Google Doc to reflect the full disclaimer.

Alright team, the MW is ready and all Google Docs have been posted for your perusal. Before we begin assigning solo sections, I would like to cast all the DRs. Two are compulsory for everyone: Cheney's introductory essay and "Love's Logic." You have to read these, but I will leave it to everyone to choose which sections/roles. The selection process for DRs is first come, first serve, so the sooner you sign up, the better chance you have of getting the roles you want.

We will be using a separate Google Doc for sign-ups, which is located at this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1txQGtc7kuKXrF5KorEdm7UiUYf26KWtVcvpi_u3xPmI/edit?usp=sharing. There you will see every DR for this project, as well as the available roles for each. All you have to do is type your name next to the roles you want. The Doc will automatically save your work, and once the selections are finalized, they will be entered into the MW. We will only begin assigning the rest of the poems when all roles have been cast. Once I see the relative distribution of roles, I will tell everyone approximately how many poems they will be allowed to claim. I hope this is clear.

In case of conflicts (i.e. someone wants a role that you also want), please post in this thread and we will try to find a compromise. Although I hope that won't happen. :wink: Remember, the DRs are only a small part of this project. The bulk is made up of solo sections, and there are a lot of great ones to choose from.

Finally, all roles are gender neutral, but I would prefer it if John and I had the majority of the male roles (except in "Love and Woman," whose characters are all men). There is also one role in "The Hermit," the Stranger, which I would like a woman to play, because the character is a woman disguised as a man.

That's all for now. DR claiming may now commence!! :mrgreen:
Last edited by WiltedScribe on October 18th, 2016, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomas Peter
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Hi, all. Just signing in to be sure I get all notices of this thread. I've also signed up for 3 of the DR's. I'll be glad to take on other roles in any of the remaining DR's, if no one else wants them.

Tomas -- For "The Laird o' Cockpen", I could read either the narrator or the Laird -- or neither, if others want to do those roles.

As far as "The Future of Poetry" goes, I'll take whichever section is left over after everyone else chooses.

In general, I'd like that to be my standing policy for this project -- to take on whichever poems or roles that nobody else wants. I like playing the human backstop. :D

So, everyone, please feel free to select your favorites, but be sure to leave plenty for me to do.

This looks to be lots of fun.
John Burlinson
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, John! :) I've updated the MW and Docs to reflect your claims. I've also gone ahead and claimed a few roles, myself.

I'm also not going to be picky about the Cheney essay, so I'll let the ladies make their choices first. :thumbs:
Tomas Peter
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Hi, I'm checking in to subscribe to the notices!
I will go through the DRs and post my interest soon.

Yay, thank you for putting this project up - it's wonderful :)
Anusha - My LV page, and Some of My Music!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi all

Tomas you had a lot of work to make everything so spoon-fed for us :shock: :thumbs:

I have registered my DR claims in the google doc sheet.

I counted 71 single parts, so that means each of us could at least take 10 to 11 parts. I claimed 9 so far and I made sure not to take all the juicy female roles, so I leave some for Lian, Anusha and Gaby as well, or Tomas or John, if they feel so inclined :mrgreen:
(... well no Nuns in here this time, so Tomas might not be tempted. For those who don't get the joke, check out The Belles of Canterbury in the One-Act Plays Project)

Now I must say, these claims are what I am happy to read but if some of you now absolutely thinks he/she NEEDS to read the part, I can always switch I guess. Everything is negotiable. And I think in the end there will be some roles left still, so I can always take on more, if needs be.

I'm sure this is going to be FUN !

Sonia
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Hi Tomas and the rest!
I've put in my claims in the Google doc :) (I also highlighted my name in green, wherever it appeared, so that I would find those roles easily when I'm sitting down to record - I hope that's okay, and you all could do it too if you think it's a good idea!)

Noting down what Sonia said about us taking 9 - 10 parts each, I've taken 8 as of now. If anyone wants to swap with me or especially read a particular role which I've previously claimed, please do not hesitate to let me know. I have no problems giving them up. :) I also have no problems taking up any extra remaining parts which no one has claimed.

I also have a question, you guys have probably explored this, but I'll put it out anyway...have we thought about asking our MC to give all of us access to the MW? So that we can put in our claims ourselves, so that Tomas doesn't have to do all the work.

Well, Tomas, that is a LOT of work that you have put into this - what with the organisation and all - it's brilliant! Thank you so much for the hard work. This is going to be very, very fun! I'm looking forward to start recording :D
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you Anusha! :) Your claims have all been registered!

If we want to do it the fair way, the number of roles works out to 12 for 5 people and 11 for 1; the person who does one less would then get an extra poem. I'd assume this would mean some of you ladies having to take on a male role, but I haven't double-checked this. It could very well be that "Love and Woman" is the only one where women will have to play men.

I don't know if there's a limit to how many people are allowed access to one MW. I really don't mind inputting the information. The BC is in charge of these things, after all. :mrgreen: But MaryAnn can enlighten us.

So far so good! I hope Lian and Gaby will make some claims soon, too!
Tomas Peter
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tomas,

In addition to the BC and DPL, I can give MW access to one other person.

MaryAnn
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Alright then, I've gone and added 2 more roles to my arsenal. :twisted:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I took 11 roles as well then, and once Gaby and Lian claimed theirs, I can check back whether I need doing a 12th or not. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

as an update:

If I counted correctly, there are 146 poems, not counting the DRs. Divided by 6 readers makes 24 for 4 people and 25 for 2 people, maybe those who had smaller roles in the DRs.

I have checked out all the poems by now and I made my wishlists.

> I have 4 poems I absolutely would love to read :9:
> Then I have made a list of 20 "first-choice poems", to make up my 24 claims
> I also have a back-up list of 26 poems which I am perfectly happy to read, in case my first choices are also coveted by others and we need to haggle :mrgreen:
> Then there's the list of 54 poems, which I would read if nobody else wants them :?
> And my final "unwanted" list of 42 poems, which I would rather not read for some reason or other

Not gonna post them here yet, so as not to influence the others ;) but I just wanted to let you know how I went about it. It's basically what we did in the last project and I thought it worked quite well.

Have a great weekend, team !

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Kitty wrote:as an update:

If I counted correctly, there are 146 poems, not counting the DRs. Divided by 6 readers makes 24 for 4 people and 25 for 2 people, maybe those who had smaller roles in the DRs.

I have checked out all the poems by now and I made my wishlists.

> I have 4 poems I absolutely would love to read :9:
> Then I have made a list of 20 "first-choice poems", to make up my 24 claims
> I also have a back-up list of 26 poems which I am perfectly happy to read, in case my first choices are also coveted by others and we need to haggle :mrgreen:
> Then there's the list of 54 poems, which I would read if nobody else wants them :?
> And my final "unwanted" list of 42 poems, which I would rather not read for some reason or other

Not gonna post them here yet, so as not to influence the others ;) but I just wanted to let you know how I went about it. It's basically what we did in the last project and I thought it worked quite well.

Have a great weekend, team !

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia, for breaking down the poem totals! :D Yes, I'd say those who get the 25 poems will be a) the person who only has 11 roles and b) the person who has the least amount to do in the DRs, whether they only read one-liners or very short narrations. Those who get to read lengthy monologues (i.e. me LOL) will have to settle for 24---which is perfectly OK!

I suppose everyone can make their "wishlists" now if you are bent on making your own claims. Someone like John, who has told me is perfectly happy to take on sections no one else wants, doesn't have to do this. If you honestly don't care what you read, then you don't have to make a wishlist either. I will be the one to determine what you get, and I will do my very best to see you get a good share relative to everyone else.

Again, though, we can only claim the poems when all the DRs are fully cast. Lian and Gaby have yet to claim anything. I don't want to do this, but I may have to assign their roles myself if they don't claim them soon. I think some of our team is rearing to get started and don't want to wait a long time for these DRs to be dealt with. I launched this project early Tuesday, so we've had a few days to sort this out. How much longer should we wait, do you think? (I ask this to everyone)
Tomas Peter