COMPLETE [PLAY] The Magistrate by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Magistrate by Arthur Wing Pinero (1855 - 1934).

The success of “The Magistrate” was immediate, and the Court Theatre was crowded night after night for more than a year, the play being presented over 300 times. So prosperous was the run that there was no cessation during the Summer holiday season. This success, however, was not confined to London, for three companies were soon carrying the play triumphantly over the English provinces, while in September 1885 Mr. Pinero went to New York to produce his work.

How can you resist a comedy whose acts are labeled Act 1: The Family Skeleton; Act 2: It Leaves Its Cupboard; and Act 3: It Crumbles?
( Introduction, ToddHW)
  • This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-magistrate-by-arthur-wing-pinero/

Gender neutral as usual.

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41750
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: 7oyK1JoE
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Arthur Wing Pinero) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Wing_Pinero
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magistrate_(play)
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 35
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1892
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays; Satire

Keywords that describe the book: deception, "skeletons in the closet"

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Magistrate, by Arthur Wing Pinero. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        magistrate_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ToddHW
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay we're back in business.
reporting back for DPL fun and I will reupload Agatha tomorrow. Luckily I kept all my files.
Good night for now
Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Here is Cis Farringdon, which Sonia marked PL OK:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_cisfarringdon_1.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_cisfarringdon_2.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_cisfarringdon_3.mp3

As for pre-existing claims:

silverquill - Mr. Posket
leanneyauyau - Charlotte
jburlinson - Colonel Lukyn
alanmapstone - Mr. Bullamy (who is also in Act 3)
AmyDeuchler - Popham
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Many thanks for files and a terrific memory!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks - Can't connect to update MW now but will later.

Todd
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hi, I claimed Charlotte before the server broke down. I can't see the MW at the moment so I can't remember her last name or section number. I hope that's okay!
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Thank you Leanne ! Looking forward to listening to that :mrgreen: We have a lot of great dialogue together so I am quite curious how this will turn out. :9:

I don't have time right now to listen, but will do so as soon as possible.

Todd, I managed to enter the MW just now, so I updated everything so far.

Sonia
AmyDeuchler

Post by AmyDeuchler »

Thanks, Amy

Working on these upcoming projects:
Plays:The Parson's Wedding, Short Plays from Dickens
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great - thanks for the files.

And thank you, Sonia, for all the updating and relistening work!! Much appreciated.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:clap: excellent role for you, Leanne. I found the entire part in the middle hilarious where she is constantly talking about food :lol: and the slight munching was a funny touch ;)

Nothing missing, so I can mark them PL ok.

I did have initial problems with downloading Act 3 though. Twice it only downloaded a corrupt file and when I manually input the file name to download, instead of Act 3 it gave me Act 2 again :hmm: Then I tried a 4th time and it finally gave me the correct file.
Could have been an error on my computer, but maybe you can try downloading it as well, Todd, just to make sure there is nothing wrong with it. It should be a short file of only 29 seconds.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

File downloaded okay but only played for me on the third try. Strange. I'll be doing play assembly soon and see how it behaves then.

Thanks, Todd
VivianWeaver

Post by VivianWeaver »

Todd,

I can take Isadore in Act II.

Vivian
Vivian Weaver
Never underestimate the power of your truth.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

VivianWeaver wrote:Todd,

I can take Isadore in Act II.

Vivian
Thanks.

Todd