COMPLETE [PLAY] The Magistrate by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Ah, I just see that Beatie Tomlinson is "a young lady reduced to teaching music"... I'd be happy to read that part, if not sing it. What do you say?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Availle wrote:Ah, I just see that Beatie Tomlinson is "a young lady reduced to teaching music"... I'd be happy to read that part, if not sing it. What do you say?
No singing, but you are welcome to hum to yourself as you read.

Thanks, Todd
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Here are Beatie Tomlinson's lines:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_beatietomlinson_1.mp3

There was one stage direction indicating that the next sentence would be spoken with her mouth full - I said it once straight, and the second time with my mouth full. Didn't have an apple at hand though, it was a Tokyo banana.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_beatietomlinson_3.mp3
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Availle wrote:Here are Beatie Tomlinson's lines:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_beatietomlinson_1.mp3

There was one stage direction indicating that the next sentence would be spoken with her mouth full - I said it once straight, and the second time with my mouth full. Didn't have an apple at hand though, it was a Tokyo banana.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_beatietomlinson_3.mp3
haha, the speech with your mouth full was excellent !!! we really should use that version.

I liked the way you portrayed Beattie. I had her somehow figured out as only "playing" humble and in reality she is hell-bent on snatching the heir of the house as husband. Your interpretation and the way you talk is not going against my feeling of her, I find. :thumbs:

Nothing missing, I can mark both PL ok !

Sonia
VivianWeaver

Post by VivianWeaver »

Vivian Weaver
Never underestimate the power of your truth.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

(By the way - and unimportant here for plays since I create a new master file from all the submissions - but you can't use capital letters in file names for sections that get cataloged. Archive has trouble with that - I think it is a Linex thing.)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

VivianWeaver wrote:Here is Isadore, Act 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_Isadore_2.mp3 3'38"
Vivian
thank you Vivian. How many different ways can one say "I beg your pardon" LOL Isidore was annoying me a bit (not your fault, but the text's LOL)

I have a few PL notes here:

> the volume comes in at only 84.3 dB, which is a bit low. You could amplify it by 2 or 3 dB at least. But make sure there is no clipping. I think you made him speak quite evenly, so I don't think there will be clippings, but you could be cautious about them nevertheless.

> at 0:22: “I beg your pardon—very good—but Monsieur Blond” – at the beginning of this sentence I hear some other person talking in the background. Would it be possible to re-do this sentence, please ?
Also, since Isidore is a French waiter, maybe you could pronounce “monsieur” the French way, which is “messieu” and not “monsure” ? You can hear a sample here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/monsieur#French
But if you cannot do that, I think it's not that important that he be French, it's only mentioned in the stage directions and not really in the text.

> at 2:18: Monsieur Blond – same here "messieu"

> at about 3:00: missing sentence: “I beg your pardon, it is a quarter of an hour over our time.”

> at 2:34: there’s one “I beg your pardon” too many. You can choose one and cut out the other, or did you do those two versions for Todd to choose ?

The rest is fine :)

Sonia
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Todd,
If you'll have me, I'd be happy to read the stage directions for you. Would you prefer those in flac? Also, how much of the introductory note and or persons of the play do you want read?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

linny wrote:Hi Todd,
If you'll have me, I'd be happy to read the stage directions for you. Would you prefer those in flac? Also, how much of the introductory note and or persons of the play do you want read?
Thank you. mp3 is fine - it only audibly loses something after a fair number of conversion cycles; no need to go to flac for this.

Please start (after the intro) with the Persons of the Play - we don't need the Introductory Note in the recorded version - anyone interested can just go to the etext link when this is cataloged.

Thanks, Todd
linny

Post by linny »

:help: :help: :help:
Todd,
OK, I'm a mess. It has been years since I did stage directions.

Here is Act 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_narrator_1.mp3 20:02
Missing line at 18:12 "Giving Mr. Posket paper". I figured I would wait to record the missing line until I get feedback on where I'm confused.

1) Should it be "narrated by" or "stage directions read by"? I read the first but I think I prefer the second.

2) If a direction starts immediately following a character should I read the character name; e.g. Wyke. [Looking at money]

Thank you for your patience. :oops:

Sonia, please check my pronunciation for names. I'm terrible at names. Please don't waste your time listening to the whole thing or even looking at the text this time. The beginning where I read the author then the cast should be enough. After Todd answers question 2, I'll have to edit anyway as I did a bit of each way.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

linny wrote::help: :help: :help:
Todd,
OK, I'm a mess. It has been years since I did stage directions.

Here is Act 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/magistrate_narrator_1.mp3 20:02
Missing line at 18:12 "Giving Mr. Posket paper". I figured I would wait to record the missing line until I get feedback on where I'm confused.

1) Should it be "narrated by" or "stage directions read by"? I read the first but I think I prefer the second.

2) If a direction starts immediately following a character should I read the character name; e.g. Wyke. [Looking at money]

Thank you for your patience. :oops:

Sonia, please check my pronunciation for names. I'm terrible at names. Please don't waste your time listening to the whole thing or even looking at the text this time. The beginning where I read the author then the cast should be enough. After Todd answers question 2, I'll have to edit anyway as I did a bit of each way.
1. I like "stage directions read by" too but you can leave it at "narrated by" if you want.

2. Yes, "Wyke [looking at money]" is the right way to do it. And if you do too many words I can just cut some extra ones out where an audience won't have trouble following what is going on - which is easier than my adding names in where they are missing - so err on the side of doing too much.

Don't worry too much about pronunciations - I think of pronunciations as accents and they can be different from person to person and that is fine. For example "Wyke" may be "WIK" or perhaps it is "Wik - EE" or "wik-a" or even "WIK-EE". I do prefer consistency for a given reader.

Thanks, Todd
linny

Post by linny »

Excellent feedback. Thank you, Todd. I did listen in to as many characters as have been recorded to see how the readers were pronouncing their character's names. Some of the others were available from a baby name book. I think I'm fairly consistent. End of the day, when you edit if you need anything just give a holler.

Sonia, don't worry about listening to the posted link. You will get a revised one tomorrow after I get some sleep.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks.

Todd