[COMPLETE] Phoenix and Carpet, E. Nesbit - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » October 17th, 2016, 3:19 pm

LOL! We will be using "Sammy-ad" same as in the first book.

AmyDeuchler

Post by AmyDeuchler » October 18th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Just wanted to say I looked this over and my claim on the Cook is correct.
I have read it through a few times and am having trouble with the Cockney accent to flow / sound right. Any advice? Just read it with my American accent? :roll:
Thanks, Amy

Working on these upcoming projects:
Plays:The Parson's Wedding, Short Plays from Dickens

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » October 18th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Accents are just a bonus. Trust your instincts - however it sounds best to you is fine!

Kangaroo692

Post by Kangaroo692 » October 19th, 2016, 11:48 am

May I have Indian (26)?

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » October 19th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Sure! Welcome to the project!

vickihib

Post by vickihib » October 21st, 2016, 11:30 am

Can I do the Indian Queen (27)? If it's ok to have an Indian Queen with an English accent.

Also I haven't recorded a dramatisation before. Do I just record the lines that are highlighted in the text with a certain amount of space between each line?

Thanks

Vicki

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » October 21st, 2016, 1:20 pm

Accents are completely optional, so I'm happy to accept your claim!

If you scroll down inside the MW you will see the purple text link to the script for Chapter 4. The script is colour coded, so at the top you will see the key to the colours used for each character. Read the lines in your colour with a 2-3 second gap for editing between speeches (regardless of how much speech there is.) If the character says several sentences together just read them as you normally would with no gaps.

That's it! Have fun with it! This is a children's book so you can amp up the drama as much as you like, as long as the words are clear!

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 21st, 2016, 7:10 pm

Here is Miss Amelia, ready for spot PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/phoenixandcarpet_10_missamelia.mp3 (1:53)

Thanks! :)
Help catalog a project five years in the making! The Count of Monte Cristo

aaronml

Post by aaronml » October 24th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Here is the corrected chapter 4 and a couple of lines read with a British accent:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pheonixandcarpet_04_cyril.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/pheonixandcarpet_04_cyril_british.mp3

The British lines are from the end of chapter four, and since this book is British, I thought maybe you might want me to rerecord my chapters with an accent. If you don't mind, I would like an honest opinion on if I do it well. Don't worry about being rude! I just want this project to be as good as it can be! :D
Aaron

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 24th, 2016, 2:02 pm

This book is British? :shock: Sorry, but my "British" accent stinks! :lol: :wink:

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » October 24th, 2016, 2:32 pm

The book is set in England, but the author lived in a place called "SoCal" which I gather is in America. Sounds like a dieters sugar substitute to me!

I'm quite unwell at the moment, I will return to this project and update the MW later in the week. Keep recording, and I'll catch up with y'all this weekend! (That's all the American English I know on display there! ;) )

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » October 24th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Aaron, I think your British accent sounds really cute! The question is if you think you can sustain it for the entire part? If you can, and are prepared to reread, then you can use it. The Cyril part isn't huge, so I think it would be manageable, but I once (and only once!) attempted an Anerican accent for a part, but it was a 30 chapter book and by the end I was sorry I had ever tried! It's very tiring recording in an accent that isn't natural.

If you decide to go ahead with it, I'd suggest recording all the Cyril chapters in British-style, give them a different file name as you have done already, and upload them all at once for me to PL, since I'll need to redo the lot. (I'd suggest starting with the last chapter and working forward, so that Chapter 1 ends up being the last one, to make a good "first impression" for the listener. I always record this way actually.)

It isn't really necessary though - not all of the children will have British accents anyway, so if you want to leave it as is and keep recording that part in your natural voice, that's fine too. Natural voices usually have more expression actually.

On reflection, if I were doing it, both options could work so I'd probably just keep going in my natural voice rather than redoing the early chapters, but as the reader the final choice rests with you. I'm not likely to do much PLing until the weekend anyway as I'm in hospital at the moment, so there's no rush!

aaronml

Post by aaronml » October 24th, 2016, 3:11 pm

OK, I'll think about it. Thanks for the information! :D I hope you get better soon! :(
Aaron

Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 » October 24th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Haha, I was so shocked when I read the word "y'all" in your post, Beth! :wink: I was like, "wait -- huh??"

Yes, get well soon :!:

AmyDeuchler

Post by AmyDeuchler » October 24th, 2016, 4:27 pm

Elizabby wrote:The book is set in England, but the author lived in a place called "SoCal" which I gather is in America. Sounds like a dieters sugar substitute to me!
Ah yes. SoCal is an abbreviation for Southern California, which includes the famous cities of Los Angeles and Hollywood - full of warm deserts, actors, and surfer-dudes. I can see now how that may have influenced the story.
Thanks, Amy

Working on these upcoming projects:
Plays:The Parson's Wedding, Short Plays from Dickens