COMPLETE[PLAY] A Kiss for Cinderella by J. M. Barrie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MikeyHaz

Post by MikeyHaz » October 19th, 2016, 5:44 am

Kitty wrote:BTW Todd, only the part of the "Man" was still available. I remember the "Gentleman" was a reader who could put on an excellent Scottish impersonation :9: Unfortunately I can't remember the Forum name :cry: I hope he comes forward again...

Sonia
Dont worry Sonia, you cant get rid of me that easily ;)

Here's the re-uploaded file: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_gentleman_2.mp3

Cheers, Mike
Always happy to receive feedback, especially the constructive kind :)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 19th, 2016, 5:47 am

MikeyHaz wrote:
Kitty wrote:BTW Todd, only the part of the "Man" was still available. I remember the "Gentleman" was a reader who could put on an excellent Scottish impersonation :9: Unfortunately I can't remember the Forum name :cry: I hope he comes forward again...

Sonia
Dont worry Sonia, you cant get rid of me that easily ;)

Here's the re-uploaded file: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_gentleman_2.mp3

Cheers, Mike

:shock: EERIE !!! I just wrote you a PM because I thought maybe it had been you. And when I checked the forum again, there you had posted !!! Are we soulmates ?

Well, I remember it was PL ok, but I think I will listen to it once again :9:

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 19th, 2016, 8:52 am

Great work Sonia - soulmate or psychic you still got the file in!

Thanks Mike for the file.

Todd

VivianWeaver

Post by VivianWeaver » October 19th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Thanks Sonia. I wondered why it wasn't showing as a line. Sorry to hear about the crash. Here is Cinderella. Acts I, II, III for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_cinderella_1.mp3 8.50 KB 8'54.5"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_cinderella_2.mp3 18.99 KB 20'15.1"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_cinderella_3.mp3 11.98 KB 12'46.8"
Vivian Weaver
Never underestimate the power of your truth.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 19th, 2016, 4:11 pm

File names are now correct. Put in the MW for PL.

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 19th, 2016, 5:05 pm

I have recorded the Policeman, and am starting to assemble the play around it while I preliminarily PL my part (in advance of the final PL with the rest of the act).

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 20th, 2016, 12:12 am

Hi Vivian

nice reading, you have a clear voice and you did not miss any of the text. I see your post count is still very low, is this your first recording ? If so, you’re off to a good start :)

However I would point out some things to you, which might be useful for later recordings. None of them are very dramatic but I’ll mention them in detail, to make it all clear for you. So don’t get a shock if you see this large post. I often have a difficulty to keeping my notes short. :mrgreen:

>your volume is very low, only about 82 dB. Our aim is to have an average volume of 89 dB, while anything from 86 to 92 is acceptable.

Could you please amplify your recording by at least 7 dB ? It’s very simply if you use Audacity. Highlight the entire recording, then click on Effects, Amplify and input 7 in the slot and press OK. The program will do the rest.

So far I don’t hear much background noise, so you managed the noise cleaning function all right. You could only check after you amplified, whether the background noise has not increased too much, since you amplified that as well in the process. If so, another round of noise cleaning would be useful.

> at 1:53 / 1:57 / 2:34 / 6:53 – here you did not leave out very much space in-between your lines for editing in the narrator’s part later on. I think Todd will manage here, as there is still a bit of out-time, but I’m just mentioning it to you for your future recordings. The best thing in DR would be to really leave out 2 or even 3 seconds between each section, and as soon as the narrator is in the middle of your dialogue, this also counts as different sections then, since the editor has to paste the narrator in later on. It makes their job easier if the lengthy pause is there.

> at 2:22 / 2:32 / 2:34 / 6:54 / 8:56 - here there is rustling noise where you probably moved the microphone. When you record, it would be good to make sure not to touch the microphone in any way or move stuff in the vicinity, because the microphone will pick up and record any sound, not only your voice. ;)

> at 8:12 / 8:18 - this abbreviation “d.” stands for the British Penny or Pence. I don’t think anybody would say “denarius” for it, even though that is the origin of it. So in our play this would be “one shilling seven pence” and “one shilling nine pence

For the silent space and the rustling, maybe we should wait for Todd’s confirmation whether he needs anything changed or whether it does not disturb him too much.

As for the “pence” I would think it would sound more authentic for the play if Cinderella used the correct word in this sentence. Maybe you could re-record this part once again and re-upload with the exact same file name.

Thanks

Sonia

PS I will listen to your other Acts later in the day. Stay tuned.
Last edited by Kitty on October 20th, 2016, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 20th, 2016, 2:12 am

All right, on to Act 2:

again, good reading, nothing missed, and I only found one textual error which could be corrected:

> at 11:39: “Well the competitors” – you said “competitions” but she is explaining the “horses” to the policeman, so she would say “competitors” which makes more sense

> As for the volume, it’s again around 82, so it would need to be amplified by 7 dB as well.

> The rustlings of the microphone are a bit less in this recording, but still, there are some which I would like to point out at 7:45 / 7:50 / 8:12 / 9:14 / 14:04, for example. Todd has not answered yet, so you better wait with editing until he confirms that he really wants them edited out though. Some of them he might also be able to edit out while assembling the play.

Oh and you put a lot more space between sections here, so that one was totally fine. :thumbs:

I try to finish Act 3 this afternoon

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 20th, 2016, 4:53 am

Act 3 finished.

The rustling is a lot less in this part, nothing too disturbing

> but again here the volume needs to be raised by 8 dB at least. Especially in the middle part the sound was very muffled, I had trouble hearing the text without cranking it up high.

and I found two small errors which could be amended:

> at 1:04: stumble and repeat: “And they’re took…”

> at 2:00: “you always get an egg to your tea” – you said: “an egg in your tea”, which sounds a bit strange as a practice

I believe that was all. Congrats to your first stage play. Well done, all in all. :clap:

Sonia

VivianWeaver

Post by VivianWeaver » October 21st, 2016, 2:22 pm

Thank you for your input Sonia, I will start making these edits. :)
And I will wait for Todd on those sections.
Vivian Weaver

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 21st, 2016, 4:28 pm

Thank you, Vivian, for the Cinderella files and thank you, Sonia, for the PL.

Vivian, as Sonia says your voice is nice and clear. If you were able to re-record just the few errors and rustlings that Sonia points out and replace those places in your files with the corrections and then reupload, that would be great.

Don't do the amplification however. Normally that would be a great help to me as well - particularly if your files are noisy and the amplification lets you do better noise cleaning - but your files are already very clean and do not need more noise cleaning.

Also I can see that your files have spikes that will prevent you from doing that amplification in an easy fashion without "clipping" which is when the voice goes all fuzzy. Audacity will probably warn you when you try to amplify too much, asking you if you will allow it to have clipping - you NEVER want that! I will run an Audacity feature on the files called "Compressor" which will knock done the peaks and amplify to the levels I need for matching the other readers in the play without clipping. (Feel free to try it if you wish - on a COPY of your file, not the master: there are Librivox videos that show what it does and how to do that. I always use the default settings for that function.)

There is nothing wrong with the spikes by the way - some people have them, some don't. Yours are not due to"'plosives" - puffs of air from certain letters which are bad and have to be screened against - your voice just has a wide dynamic range.

Thanks, and welcome to Librivox!

Todd

VivianWeaver

Post by VivianWeaver » October 21st, 2016, 5:47 pm

Vivian Weaver

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 22nd, 2016, 4:32 am

VivianWeaver wrote:Let's try this again. Thank you Todd and Sonia. Let me know if I missed anything. Thank you. Vivian

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_cinderella_1.mp3 8.55 KB
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_cinderella_2.mp3 18.99 KB
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_cinderella_3.mp3 12.00 KB
Hi again

checked the three files and there are a few more problems still.

Act 3 is PL ok now, so that one's good to go. The errors have been nicely corrected. :thumbs:

Todd, that means Act 3 is ready to be assembled :9:

in Act 2 there is nothing corrected, neither the "competitors" error, nor any of the thumps. I suppose you re-uploaded the old file by error. Could you make sure and send me the corrected file please ?

Act 1 you already amplified and unfortunately, Todd was right, there is a lot of clipping going on. :( I hope you still kept your old file because it would be better if you changed the errors in that one and reuploaded without amplifying.
Also you missed out one of the thumps at 8:18: "I could see my way clearer". There is still a big thump in this sentence.

we are getting there...don't despair ! :)

Thanks
Sonia
Last edited by Kitty on October 22nd, 2016, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 22nd, 2016, 7:38 am

I believe that clipping happens when the mp3 file is exported out of Audacity: the original Audacity master file can be deamplified and the clipping will not happen with a new export. At least that it what I think happens.

Thanks, Todd

(I have acts 1 and 3 assembled except for Cinderella - so I can go finish Act 3 now!)

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 22nd, 2016, 9:30 am

Here is a completed draft of Act 3. You all sound great together!!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/kissforcinderella_3_barrie_128kb.mp3

length 37:40

I have a small bit of smoothing to do before a final PL - getting all the volumes and gaps right between readers, but I wanted to make sure that the file was backed up at our site (not, given recent events, that that is a foolproof backup....).

Thanks, Todd