COMPLETE The House with the Twisting Passage -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carod

Post by Carod »

Chapter 4 uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/twistingpassage_04_stjohnwebb_128kb.mp3

I've confirmed the link is good. I know exactly what the problem was previously and I have corrected it. I'd prefer to leave the links in place in the magic window rather than redo them all piecemeal. I will continue to check every time I upload a file.

Caro
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi caro and claudia,

you might have already heard about it, but in case you havent, our servers crashed and we lost a month of data. so everything (literally everything) anyone did on librivox since september 15th is lost and needs to be redone.

i am not sure at which level this project was, but could you please have a look at the magic window and reupload anything you had submitted last month?

also, may i ask both of you to please look at all group projects you were involved in and make sure your claims, recordings and pl status is as it should be. notify your bcs as soon as possible whether or not things are in order or not. thank you!
Carolin
smike

Post by smike »

Thanks, Carolin, as the DPL of two more projects, I know about the data loss.

Caro, I hope you still have your files. I have the files 1 to 7 on my PC in case you don't have them any more.
As far as I recall, they were all PL OK.
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
Carod

Post by Carod »

Thankfully, I do still have the files :D (previously I have deleted once they'd been PL'd..).

I will re-upload.

Chapter 8 is now uploaded and ready for PL. Link checked.

Before the book is finalised, I'll review all the files and adjust the sound for consistency. I am having to edit out such a lot of noise pollution right now (a house is being built two doors from me!) that it is likely I will need to balance out the sound quality once I have a complete set of chapters.

Chapter 8 is my favourite of all these wonderful stories.

Caro
smike

Post by smike »

As long as the noise level isn't too high, and the volume is within the range, you don't need to do anything. From what I know all files are brought to a 89dec level anyway before cataloguing (Carolin will know).
Claudia

Carod

Post by Carod »

Thanks Claudia,

I have kept the volume to replay gain's recommended level so that's not a problem but I feel there is some variance in tone due to different required levels of noise reduction. I'll review the files when complete but won't change any content, it will be the same recordings, just with a little tweaking so they all sound the same (bass/treble balance, sharpness etc.)

Caro
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thankfully you didnt delete those!

we can make some minimal adjustments to the volume during cataloging, but usually only lowering rather than raising, as the system wont cause clipping. so we only accept files over 86 decibel for cataloging, so that even if the volume cant be adjusted any further, it wont be too far off the rest.

i personally always have a little variation in what i sound like when i record, i notice quite a strong difference sometimes between files recorded on different days. but i think most people have that, and i dont mind it myself when i listen to other people, so thats nothing to worry about.
Carolin
smike

Post by smike »

Hi Caro, ch 8 is PL OK. :thumbs:
Claudia

Carod

Post by Carod »

Hi

I am aware I've been a bit quiet of late. Life has simply hijacked me into other activities. I'm just touching base to say I haven't disappeared or given up on this project and I hope to complete another chapter soon.

Caro
smike

Post by smike »

That's fine, Caro, life happens. Nice of you to check in, though. :)
Claudia

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you for letting us know that you are still around, caro :)
Carolin
Carod

Post by Carod »

Chapter 9 uploaded - eventually!

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/twistingpassage_09_stjohnwebb.mp3

Boy, what a mission that one was... about 12 drafts before I got it sorted :roll:

The biggest irony.. it's not my favourite story at all. But it is my sister's :lol:

I think it's the longest story in the book, so next one coming with less of a delay, hopefully.

Caro
Carod

Post by Carod »

Hi - just checking that someone saw my message about Chapter 9?

Caro
smike

Post by smike »

Yes. I listened to it today. I loved it. :D It's PL OK if we agree on a five seconds silence generally now, otherwise it would need five additional seconds (but I think five are enough).

Oh, and all the best for 2017!
Claudia

Carod

Post by Carod »

Oh yes, I see the note about 10 seconds at the end of files longer than 30 mins. I can add more if required.. but all the other chapters (to date, at least) have 5.

Let me know?

Caro