COMPLETE A Confession by Leo Tolstoy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
StoryTeller

Post by StoryTeller »

PL for chapter 1

Hi, Paul!

I found this a very lovely voice & reading. It was a joy to follow and now I can't wait for the next chapter. :)

The recording quality could be improved by editing out unwanted noises - clicks, plosives/pops and thuds. I've listed the most intrusive ones below but you'll find some throughout if you listen through headphones.

It sounds to me like you might be too close to the mic and your breath is hitting it in little thuds. Before your next recording, you might want to experiment with the mic placement so you won't need to edit.

There are 4 things I had to do when I had this problem:
1. Always use a pop filter.
2. Move the mic further away from my mouth - say a couple more inches.
3. Place the mic a little to one side so that the breath doesn't hit it straight on - something like 30-45 degrees.
4. Don't touch the table if the mic is standing on it!

Editing Notes for Audacity:
--------------------------------------

You can fix the DC bias in Audacity (using 'Effect', 'Normalise'). Checker indicates a small DC offset.
V quick and easy vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gze0qOPea1E&feature=youtu.be

The clicks & plosives are easy to spot and edit if you zoom in and use 'Z' before deleting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0Y6E8pnyQ&feature=youtu.be

PL notes
-------------

I've underlined what I think are the most important edits and the rest I think are optional if you'd like a cleaner recording for headphones. But if you really loathe editing then just do the ones in bold. :) I'll learn what level of editing you prefer as we go along.

0.00 Intro needs correcting to your new schpeel.
0.18 plosive "Christian"
0.33 click
1.05 click
1.19 plosive after "church services"
1.32 plosives "university ... dance"
1.49 plosives "not take"
1.53 plosive "voltair"
1.59 click
2.08 plosive "on the basis"
2.10 click somewhere in "having nothing in"
2.27 click
2.37 click
2.59 click
3.03 plosive "must produce"
3.10 click
3.41 plosive "S., a clever"
3.49 plosive at end "twenty six"
4.37 plosive "signs of"
4.49 click
4.56 clipped ending "worldly aims". I hear "worldly A".
4.57 click
5.00 plosives "faith is for them"
5.43 click
6.23 plosive "exercises"
6.36 click
6.50 click
end needs 5 seconds of silence at end so add a few seconds.
~ Georgina ~
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Georgina, Thank you for the very careful PL Notes.

Paul, I see that you have requested standard PLing. Georgina's notes go beyond standard, so I took a listen myself. I don't hear any issue with plosives . . . I've listened to a lot of different readers and different mics, your recording sounds within the normal range in that regard. It is always good to make sure you are speaking over or past the mic, not right into it. I don't hear any need for you to invest in a pop filter, you can if you want, but it depends on your set up and the type of mic you are using whether that is feasible or not.

I do hear a few sounds when you have edited bits out. Nothing that I would worry about correcting. In the future, you might try "finding the zero crossings" before you clip things out. That may help reduce those bits. Phil has a video on it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZ4l2yJ3lE

For standard PLing, you will need to fix the intro and make sure there are 5 seconds of silence at the end. You should also check the word that sounds cut off at 4:56 and see what you think. It went right by me the first time with no notice. When I went back, I heard that it is short, but as I say, the first time my brain just filled in what was missing. So I think it is an optional fix. Up to you.

If you would like a higher level of PLing, you can request that. I don't think a book like this needs "word perfect", but you can request comments on some of the things that Georgina pointed out by requesting "special" pling or "constructive criticism" and then saying what you want the PLer to comment on. Just a reminder, for Standard PLing, the wiki instructions are focused on repeats and gaps, excessive background noise and volume:
Always check the first post for the level of proof-listening requested, or post in the thread to ask. Please do not offer feedback beyond the level requested.

In general, we ask for standard listening -- repeats and gaps:
Listen for repeated words or passages that the reader likely intended to edit out.
Note any long pauses or bad background noises that disrupt the flow of your listening pleasure.
Note that the intro and outro has the correct wording as noted in the first post of the project thread, and 5 seconds of silence at the end (or 10 seconds if the recording is over 30 minutes).
If the recording seems too loud or too quiet, please note that as well.
It is NOT necessary for you to follow along with the text; just listen as you would normally.
Standard PLing is perfectly acceptable and what most is used for most LV recordings. Those who are professional, or who have done tons of recordings may decide they want to do more. For new readers, I suggest you stick with standard and spend your time getting used to recording and editing. Your recordings will naturally get smoother in time as you get more comfortable reading and editing.

MaryAnn
StoryTeller

Post by StoryTeller »

Paul, I'm fairly new at PL for others so go with MaryAnn.

Also the pop filter was mentioned in the list of things that I had to do for myself to correct pops, just to give you ideas you could try. You may not need them at all.

MaryAnn, just to clarify, are pops and clicks not in standard PL? I have always been interpreting them as the "bad background noises that disrupt the flow of your listening pleasure", but I'm happy to ignore them from now on if this is not required for standard PL. I haven't been checking for word perfect, only for understanding, so that's ok.
~ Georgina ~
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Georgina,

I don't view pops and clicks as standard PL. That's consistent with the comments on the PLing Quiz on the wiki. People often get the sound of mouse clicks in their recording, for me, I occasionally get the clock chiming downstairs and pops as my old house creaks in the heat or cold. There's really no problem with those. If you think a pop, click or noise is loud enough that it's going to startle a listener (particularly one with headphones), then comment on it. But there are often clicks or pops or other noises that creep in and while they are audible, they are not particularly loud. Those we don't generally comment on unless asked for constructive criticism.

MaryAnn
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

Hi Georgina, thanks for the notes. I'm still getting my footing too, so I really appreciate any feedback. I'm trying to minimize clicks and the like (thanks for the video and tips, I'll use them moving forward [minus the pop filter and distancing; I use a headset, so neither of those are really an option]), but I'm not concerned enough to re-record parts just because of clicks or especially loud plosives. Having said that, I've corrected the intro and ending and re-recorded the section where I trail off.
"The only true and lasting meaning of the struggle for life lies in the individual, in his modest peculiarities and his right to these peculiarities.”
― Vasily Grossman
StoryTeller

Post by StoryTeller »

Thanks for the feedback, Paul. We can take a minimalist approach to editing if you prefer - not a problem! I'm happy if you're happy with your recording.

Just a note for your intended future learning adventures, there's mostly no need to re-record for plosives/pops, which I think you're thinking. It's often super easy to delete only the actual pop on the waveform (as shown in vid 2) leaving the underlying word intact, to the ear anyway. Just grab headphones and zoom right in. It's a real thrill. ;)

Ch 1 now spot checked - a couple of things:

Intro should be exactly as in first post, 3 bullet points:
1 - ok if you delete "by Tolstoy ... Maude"
2 - ok
3 - missing

Ending still only has 2 seconds silence. we need about 5. Could you please add a couple of seconds while you're in there.

See you in chapter 2!! :thumbs:
Last edited by StoryTeller on September 6th, 2016, 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ Georgina ~
StoryTeller

Post by StoryTeller »

PL notes: ch 2-4

ch 2 - end - could you shave off about 3 seconds as we only need about 5 seconds total at end.

ch 3 & 4 are OK

:clap: This project moves fast.
~ Georgina ~
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

Chapter 5 is up and I've shaved a few seconds off chapter 2's ending in addition to redoing the chapter 1 intro and adding the missing seconds towards the end.
StoryTeller wrote: :clap: This project moves fast.

Don't jinx it :P
"The only true and lasting meaning of the struggle for life lies in the individual, in his modest peculiarities and his right to these peculiarities.”
― Vasily Grossman
StoryTeller

Post by StoryTeller »

jinxes are illusory to all but the mind that believes in them ... don't you think? ;)

I'll get to your new uploads very soon. Please keep 'em coming! We can't leave poor old Papa Tolstoy lingering in the doldrums of chapter 4.
~ Georgina ~
StoryTeller

Post by StoryTeller »

Hey, Paul. How's it going?

ch 1 - spot check ok
I've OKd this for you although the inserted intro here is now a little louder than the rest of the recording. Have a listen through headphones and see if you're happy with the transition or not. You might want to de-amplify this section by about 3dB. Let me know what you decide so I'm not repeating myself. :)

ch 5 has a couple of deletes for you:
5.19 - repeated "the less their applic-"
6.47 - repeated "and when you have"

I think you're doing a great job BTW. This book has me totally gripped. How are you finding it?
~ Georgina ~
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

Hey Georgina, sorry for the delay, I went away for the weekend so I haven't been able to record. I'm gonna try to get chapter 6 done either tomorrow or Monday.
We can't leave poor old Papa Tolstoy lingering in the doldrums of chapter 4.
It gets worse before it gets better I'm afraid :wink:
I think you're doing a great job BTW. This book has me totally gripped. How are you finding it?
I love it, but I didn't realize when I read it silently that each chapter seems to be longer than the one before it :D
― Vasily Grossman
StoryTeller

Post by StoryTeller »

pokrovsky wrote: It gets worse before it gets better I'm afraid :wink:
:shock: What?!!! Are you trying to tell me that there will be no witty one-liners judiciously sprinkled throughout chapter 6 to break the dramatic tension and provide a little emotional release?!! ... Oh those pesky world class Russian authors.

Seat. Edge of.

Enjoy your break! :)
~ Georgina ~
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

Chapter 6 is up and I made the corrections for part 5 and lowered the intro for part 1

Thanks for being so on top of PLing. :thumbs: I recorded part 5 in 100 degree weather, and obviously because I was recording, couldn't use my fan. So I was just eager to get it done, which is how I missed those little repetitions.
― Vasily Grossman
StoryTeller

Post by StoryTeller »

:shock: 100 degrees?!! ...

ch 1 & 5 spot check - ok

ch 6 PL
7.36 Text reads "I made me gardens and orchards". I hear "gardens and orchids" which distracted me with a “huh?” moment. See if you agree.

A lovely reading, this chapter! I really like your subtle variations for characters. I think you get it just right for audiobooks.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
~ Georgina ~
pokrovsky

Post by pokrovsky »

Chapter 7 is up and chapter 6 is corrected, thanks!

Not having to quote a bunch of Schopenhauer and Ecclesiastics makes recording much easier :)
― Vasily Grossman