COMPLETE: The Devil's Pool by George Sand AF/cs

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-devils-pool-by-george-sand/
  1. Full title: The Devil’s Pool
  2. Full name of author(s): George Sand
  3. Full name of translator (if applicable, and if available): George B. Ives
  4. Link to PD text source: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/12816
  5. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Sand
  6. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  7. Target completion date (an estimate which can be changed): March 31
  8. Short description (can be a paragraph copied from Wikipedia. If you write this yourself, please be aware that your summary will be in the PD. Please state who wrote the description): George Sand (the pen name of Amantine-Lucile-Aurore Dupin 1804-1876) is famous for flaunting the conventions of behavour expected of women of her standing in France at the time and for her numerous romantic liaisons including her long standing affair with Frédéric Chopin. The Devil’s Pool (published in 1846 as La Mare au Diable) is one of several short pastoral novels drawn from her childhood experiences in the rural French region of Berri. It tells the story of a young widower, Germain, who, at the insistence of his father-in-law, sets out to remarry so that he will have someone to help raise his three young children. (summary by the reader)
  9. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 7
  10. Does the project have an introduction [y/n]: y
  11. Original publication date (if known): 1846 as “La Mare au Diable”, This translation -1901
  12. Do you have server space to store your files?: n
  13. If you're a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
  14. Example of your file names: devilspool_#_sand.mp3
  15. Example of your ID3 tags:
    Title: Section #
    Artist: George Sand
    Album: The Devil’s Pool

Comment: Translated by G. B. Ives
This will be my second solo recording for Librivox. The book has 17 chapters and a 4 part appendix, but as all the chapters are quite short, I am planning to group them into 8 sections. Once this project is accepted and the readers list is available, I will indicate the breakdown in the list of chapters.

Thanks,
Jo

(BC admin link)
Last edited by knotyouraveragejo on March 17th, 2007, 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oooh, I'd love to MC this, if I may, Jo!

I'll just get it into the catalogue and window you up.

Just an initial thought ... the chapters all have names -- will you be able to take account of that in the ID3 title tags if you've two or three chapters per file..?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Cori,

Thanks for MCing this for me. As far as the chapter names are concerned, I was planning to read them as I go along, but didn't necessarily see a need to include them in the ID tags. If that's a problem, we can keep the files separate, but so far (I have recorded up to Chap IV) most are <10 min long and it seems like it would be more hassle than it's worth for a listener to have to keep switching files every few minutes! I was thinking I would shoot for ~ 30 min per section.

I see you have a folder for this project on Anita's server, so I will put the files there and set up the listen links myself as I go along. I will also post here to let you know when I upload new files as well.

Jo
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Cori,

I've uploaded the first section. You can have a listen if you like and see what you think.

devilspool_01_sand.mp3 25.3 MB runtime: 27:41

Assuming I continue this way, the sections in the table should be renumbered from 0-6 to 1-7 since I've included the Author's note in the first section with Chapters I-II. I've also changed the ID3 tag for the title to be Section ## rather than Chapter ## (and corrected a few typos in my first post in the process!)

Jo
Jo
Cori

Post by Cori »

Okay ... 1-7 it is. In which case, you're also welcome to name the files 1, 2, 3, etc. instead of 01, 02, 03 ... since you'll not be going into two digits. Up to you. :)

Reading the titles as you go along makes sense ... you could also mention them in the 'Notes' section of the tags, under the translator. That's purely a random thought, though, I don't know how other projects have handled this, and am not speaking officially!

Off to download ...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 2 - Chapters III-V uploaded and linked. :)

21.2 MB runtime: 23:12 minutes
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 03 Chapters VI-VIII uploaded and linked

26.3 MB
runtime: 28:44 minutes
Jo
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oooh, you're steaming along with this one, Jo -- wonderful! I listened to part 1 last night, and you've a lovely voice for the work and it's a good reading. Volume's perfect, no bleeps or phones ringing ... actually -- how will you want this prooflistened..? Against the text..? If you just want it checked for pauses or repeats, I've probably done that bit already (except for a short section where I'd was interrupted by a wrong number. I'd recheck that bit, if needed.)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks Cori!

I think standard proof-listening will be fine. I do one proof against the text myself as I edit out my repeats and reread anything that didn't come out right the first time through, so it probably isn't necessary to read along with the text while listening. Having said that, it you hear anything that doesn't make sense, feel free to spot check the text at that point (or just let me know where you think it doesn't sound right, and I can go back and double check myself.)

Jo
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Cori,

Section 04 Chapters IX-XI uploaded and linked.

27.2 MB

runtime: 29:42 minutes

I've also marked section 01 as OK to catalog based on your last post. :)

Jo
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 05 Chapters XII-XIV uploaded and linked.

24.8 MB

runtime: 27:11 minutes
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Section 06 Chapters XV-XVII uploaded and linked.

17.0 MB

runtime: 18:39 minutes

This is the end of the main part of the story. The last section is the Appendix which I have mostly recorded so it should be up in a day or two. Meanwhile I've posted a thread in Listeners Wanted. I anticipate this should be ready to catalog before March Madness ends!!
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Cori,

Okay the appendix goes on and on, so I am going to split it into two sections to keep to my 30 minute target for each section. Could you give me another line in the readers box? Thanks!

Jo
Jo
Cori

Post by Cori »

I love the easy changes -- done, Jo!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks Cori.

Recording is now done on this book. I have posted the last two sections

Section 07 Appendix Parts I-II
25.7 MB
runtime: 28:01 min

Section 08 Appendix Parts III-IV
29.2 MB
runtime: 31:59 min

The last four sections need proof-listening and then it will be ready to catalog!

Jo
Jo