COMPLETE[PLAY]Sir Harry Wildair by George Farquhar - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Hi

Final acts for Captain Fireball, sorry for the delay.
If he sounds particularly grumpy, it's because he's been ill!

http://uploads.librivox.org/toddhw/sirharrywildair_fireball_02.mp3 - 3:45
http://uploads.librivox.org/toddhw/sirharrywildair_fireball_03.mp3 - 3:00
http://uploads.librivox.org/toddhw/sirharrywildair_fireball_04.mp3 - 2:29
http://uploads.librivox.org/toddhw/sirharrywildair_fireball_05.mp3 - 1:54

Happy to redo anything.

Craig
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks. I hope you didn't go and make yourself ill just to suit the part better!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Craigos wrote:Hi

Final acts for Captain Fireball, sorry for the delay.
If he sounds particularly grumpy, it's because he's been ill!

http://uploads.librivox.org/toddhw/sirharrywildair_fireball_02.mp3 - 3:45
http://uploads.librivox.org/toddhw/sirharrywildair_fireball_03.mp3 - 3:00
http://uploads.librivox.org/toddhw/sirharrywildair_fireball_04.mp3 - 2:29
http://uploads.librivox.org/toddhw/sirharrywildair_fireball_05.mp3 - 1:54

Happy to redo anything.

Craig
Hurray ! Captain Fireball is all in :clap: And I absolute loved his grumpiness, he should be ill more often (ok, that didn't sound nice :? ) Well, I think he was quite mean with poor Clincher....I loved the effect where he called out to Shark, it sounded as if you were really turning away from the others. Well done on that one. :thumbs:

I found no errors whatsoever, nothing missing. Well there was one word I think in Act 5, because the scan was cut off there, but I can't imagine what word it could be and the sentence is complete without it as well, so it does not matter at all.

I'd say: All acts for Captain Fireball PL ok and over to Todd !

Thanks once again for participating, I hope you had as much fun recording as I just had listening. :9: Hope to hear you in some other plays soon...(hint: there are at least 4 new dramas just opened up these last few days :mrgreen: )

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay, I got it. Editing these last things in!

And yes, there is another Farquhar already open amongst others.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Acts 1 and 2 ready for final PL!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Acts 3, 4, and 5 uploaded for final PL!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Acts 1 and 2 ready for final PL!
Thanks, Todd
all right, you have been prolific :shock: Great, so I start PLing the final acts today. Not sure if I can finish them all though.

Just listened to Act 1, and on the whole the text is all there and in the right place. It sounded great, all assembled.

A few notes though:

> the volume is way too loud (104.5 dB !) Checker also tells me the DC bias is +30 which is a bit high. Maybe that accounts for the volume ?

> I also noticed in the Voice credits at the beginning that many were a bit distorted because of the volume I noticed it especially with Beau Banter, Lady Lurewell and Lady 1 and 2. Also during the Act, some voices sounded a bit raspy in my ear, probably due to the volume.

I already checked the other 4 acts, and they are all well in the norm of 89 dB and basically no DC bias. So I guess the raspiness will only be noticeable in Act 1, and hopefully, once you de-amplify, it will be gone altogether.

> at 6:07: Captain Fireball, read by Craig Franklin: here you put “a naval officer” after the “read by” mention, in all the other characters, you put it before. Not sure if you want it strictly the same though

> at 7:16: Narrator’s mention of Ladies, Chambermaids, etc is not necessary as the voice credits of those characters have been mentioned right before that

> at 8:25: in the prologue you left in one Footnote, whereas all the others you cut out. Did you want to leave this one in especially or did you forget to cut it out as well ?

On to Act 2...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Act 2 is completely PL ok :clap: It sounds great and the sound is back to normal for each character.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Aaaand Act 3 is also PL ok. I loved the scene with the French Marquis. The accent made me chuckle all the way through. :lol:

need a bit of a break now, but I hope to continue this afternoon...

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote:
ToddHW wrote:Acts 1 and 2 ready for final PL!
Thanks, Todd
all right, you have been prolific :shock: Great, so I start PLing the final acts today. Not sure if I can finish them all though.

Just listened to Act 1, and on the whole the text is all there and in the right place. It sounded great, all assembled.

A few notes though:

> the volume is way too loud (104.5 dB !) Checker also tells me the DC bias is +30 which is a bit high. Maybe that accounts for the volume ?

> I also noticed in the Voice credits at the beginning that many were a bit distorted because of the volume I noticed it especially with Beau Banter, Lady Lurewell and Lady 1 and 2. Also during the Act, some voices sounded a bit raspy in my ear, probably due to the volume.

I already checked the other 4 acts, and they are all well in the norm of 89 dB and basically no DC bias. So I guess the raspiness will only be noticeable in Act 1, and hopefully, once you de-amplify, it will be gone altogether.

> at 6:07: Captain Fireball, read by Craig Franklin: here you put “a naval officer” after the “read by” mention, in all the other characters, you put it before. Not sure if you want it strictly the same though

> at 7:16: Narrator’s mention of Ladies, Chambermaids, etc is not necessary as the voice credits of those characters have been mentioned right before that

> at 8:25: in the prologue you left in one Footnote, whereas all the others you cut out. Did you want to leave this one in especially or did you forget to cut it out as well ?

On to Act 2...

Sonia
It might be the DC bias. I used ReplayGain within Audacity and it does not measure that - and it thought gain was okay. My ears are very bad most of these days and can't hear the raspiness. I will try just deamplifying and see what happens.

The 6:07 and 7:15 I will fix. I left the one footnote in place at 8:25 since it was helpful (otherwise the words spoken were confusing) and interrupting the Prologue didn't seem bad. I did decide to remove all the other footnotes in the play since the footnotes were often confusing in themselves - calling out references to events and people of the day that don't help us understand things better - and they interrupted the flow of the play action.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:It might be the DC bias. I used ReplayGain within Audacity and it does not measure that - and it thought gain was okay. My ears are very bad most of these days and can't hear the raspiness. I will try just deamplifying and see what happens.
there's also the possibility to remove the DC bias in Audacity. Maybe that is enough already and all goes back to normal ? :hmm:

Meanwhile: Act 4 is also PL ok and very very funny. :mrgreen: The entire cast melts so well together :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And last Act is also PL ok. And a great finale it was :clap: I congratulate everyone in the cast. This is going to be a great addition to the LV catalogue.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sonia,

I normalized the Act 1 file in Audacity to remove the DC bias, and then deamplified it as well. Rather than the 5 dB error you got from Checker, Audacity though it was only 0.4 dB too high; I took it down a whole dB. I made the changes at 6:07 and 7:16 but not at 8:25 as noted in previous posting.

I think it sounds better but I am a poor judge most days.

I'll generate the cast list and start preping the rest of the acts for cataloging!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:I normalized the Act 1 file in Audacity to remove the DC bias, and then deamplified it as well. Rather than the 5 dB error you got from Checker, Audacity though it was only 0.4 dB too high; I took it down a whole dB.
actually, it is still too loud (104.2 dB). I did not get a 5dB error last time but at least 13 dB error ! So taking it down only 1 dB was not enough. Also the DC bias is still +29. I opened your file in Audacity and saw loads of red lines indicating clipping :( That's probably why the sound is distorted in some voices. I am not sure this can be undone again by simply de-amplifying (I remember we tried once in Cinderella and it didn't work).

To my ears at least some voices were very scratchy, sorry :?
I made the changes at 6:07 and 7:16 but not at 8:25 as noted in previous posting.
ok, these parts are corrected. So textually, the file is ok. We only need to get the sound and volume to behave now.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Very strange. I have the clipping display turned on in Audacity and get NO red lines in the master file, with all signal levels below the + 0.5 level in the display. And ReplayGain in Audacity says Act 1 is 0.5 dB too low. ReplayGain is how I set the levels in all the other acts, and many other projects here - which are correct...

I'm glad you note that my text changes were made - so I did actually upload the correct file.

I'll try again with more fixes and exports/uploads tonight. And I'll try reloading the mp3 back down from the MW to see what you are seeing. I recognize that we can't fix the mp3 I exported - I have to get it right somehow in the Audacity master file.

Thanks, Todd