COMPLETE: An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, by Hume

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » February 24th, 2007, 11:07 pm

Complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/an-enquiry-concerning-human-understanding-by-david-hume/

An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding by David Hume.

Here's another juicy tidbit for The LibriVox Non-Fiction Club. I thought it would be easier to attack this one before undertaking the massive Treatise. The Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding is a shortened and simplified version of Hume's masterpiece A Treatise of Human Nature. It sought to reach a wider audience, and to dispel some of the virulent criticism addressed toward the former book. In it, Hume explains his theory of epistemology, and argues against other current theories, including those of John Locke, George Berkeley, and Nicolas Malebranche.
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: August 31, 2007 – but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Gutenberg e-text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/9662
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!

(BC admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "[Chapter] of An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, by David Hume. [Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
      If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, by David Hume."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    humanunderstanding_##_hume.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (humanunderstanding_01_hume.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: David Hume
    Album: An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    • If you have your own server space, post the link here. Please leave the file in this location until the project is catalogued.
    • If you don't have your own server space, you'll need to transfer the file to one of the free servers available. For a list of options, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • the file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Caeristhiona on October 2nd, 2007, 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

rootpi

Post by rootpi » February 25th, 2007, 1:54 am

Gotta love the Scottish Enlightenment :)
May I have section 2 please?

Justin Brett

Post by Justin Brett » February 25th, 2007, 2:38 am

This looks fun.

May I have the last 3 sections - 17 to 19 - please?

Thanks!

Justin.

Gesine

Post by Gesine » February 25th, 2007, 5:16 am

Gimme 03. I'm not taking any new sections (as you can see) but when I do, they have to be short. ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester » February 25th, 2007, 9:26 am

I'll take 1, 4 and 5 for now please.

Ta,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.

Gesine

Post by Gesine » February 25th, 2007, 10:04 am

Caet - are we reading the footnotes? And how are we reading the section numbers - just 18: blabla or section 18 blabla or what?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » February 25th, 2007, 10:08 am

Phew, this went fast. :) Consider yourselves signed up.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona » February 25th, 2007, 10:10 am

Gesine wrote:Caet - are we reading the footnotes? And how are we reading the section numbers - just 18: blabla or section 18 blabla or what?
Yes, read the footnotes.

If by section number you mean the little numbers that come above paragraphs, don't bother with reading those. They're more to help you find your place and mark the boundaries of complete points than anything. This was before the topic sentence rule we all learned so well in English class.
-- Jeffrey Rowland

Gesine

Post by Gesine » February 25th, 2007, 10:53 am

Caeristhiona wrote:
Gesine wrote:Caet - are we reading the footnotes? And how are we reading the section numbers - just 18: blabla or section 18 blabla or what?
Yes, read the footnotes.

If by section number you mean the little numbers that come above paragraphs, don't bother with reading those. They're more to help you find your place and mark the boundaries of complete points than anything. This was before the topic sentence rule we all learned so well in English class.
Ah. Not sure what the topic sentence rule is, but... I thought the numbers were also for easy reference. Anyway, I'll leave them out, thanks.

d.e.wittkower

Post by d.e.wittkower » February 26th, 2007, 1:38 pm

I'd like to take 6 and 7.

mishahu

Post by mishahu » February 27th, 2007, 9:31 am

I'd like to do 8 and 13, please.

Gesine

Post by Gesine » March 5th, 2007, 6:12 am

Justin Brett

Post by Justin Brett » March 5th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Here's Section 17: http://www.mediafire.com/?cy2odznxkdz

Hope it makes sense. I think I knew what I was reading about, but often only when I got to the end of the sentence...

J.

mishahu

Post by mishahu » March 11th, 2007, 1:46 pm

I'm a little confused (not unusual :) ). I am reading section 8 Of Probability. It is section 8 as delineated above, but in the Index of the book itself, it is section 6. What do I call it in the intro and outro - Section 6 or Section 8?

Thanks.

Elaine

Justin Brett

Post by Justin Brett » March 11th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Here are my other two: Section 18 (http://www.mediafire.com/?dyyzymnmtyk) and Section 19 (http://www.mediafire.com/?2vznnyjwzyq)

Hope they make sense!

Justin