COMPLETE Poems of American History, The Civil War - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Section 0 is PL OK! Great reading, I look forward to section 4.
NikisEssentials

Post by NikisEssentials »

edhumpal wrote:Section 0 is PL OK! Great reading, I look forward to section 4.
Thanks. If there are still open buts after I'm don't with this and the editing, I'll see about picking them up.
May you be well, happy and peaceful.

~Niki Myers
Owner and Creator of Niki's Essentials
http://www.nikisessentials.com
nikisessentials@gmail.com
NikisEssentials

Section 4 is complete. Wow it was a long one, WHEW. Because of the limits of the uploader, I've had to do it in approx. 1 hr segments but they all fit together seamlessly once reunited. Each with either the number 1, 2, or 3 after "various" and its underscore.

Part 1 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poemsofamericanhistory4_04_various_1_128kb.mp3
Part 2 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poemsofamericanhistory4_04_various_2_128kb.mp3
Part 3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poemsofamericanhistory4_04_various_3_128kb.mp3

Time: 2h 26m 23.533s

~Niki Myers
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Nikki, I've listened here and there, mostly to figure out the comments that follow. As before, a wonderful reading, and I'm very glad you're along for this volume. Great cadence and expression.

Almost all chapters in this book are 15-20 pages long, and most recordings end at 45-60 minutes. This is an 18 page chapter, so first I started looking for what could have made it 2 1/2 hours long. At 14:55 of the second tape, following a poem that is near the end of the section, but is not the last poem, your recording begins again: "Chapter 4 of .... etc."

I didn't go further looking for other examples, because one was enough to suggest that there are some combined recording sessions, out of order, that once found and corrected will probably bring the section size down to an hour or so.

The hour restriction is for listeners who still burn CD's. But a CD is actually 72 minutes. It may be that I created too long of a section here, but if you're still over 1:12 after you straighten out the recording, that will be my fault, not your's, and we'll find out then what advice icequeen has for us.
NikisEssentials

This is absolutely possible. I know that when I was 45 minutes in of edited content something he kept and I lost the second half which was at least another 45 minutes maybe half hour edited which had been anywhere close to edited yet. So I'm actually really glad you listen to it when you did. Just in case I'm missing something auditory away. I will give it another pass see what pops up. But I swear to you I read it in order and I took each section meaning each narrative block read that did editing on it. Then I took the poem that followed and recorded it and edited it. I took each of those sections individually. It's easier for my brain to comprehend if I take it section by section because it was a very long chapter. And I swear that is chapter 4. Is crazy long. And it's fine. I don't mind it being extra long that's fine that's perfectly fine. It was a great chapter I enjoyed it. Being a civil war nut like myself I found it extremely interesting and quite amusing at times. But as always I will totally give it another pass to check things out. And finalize a few things and I will upload it. Peace, my peace. And I saw that one it was like two and a half hours long or some change, I thought that was rather odd myself seeing as the other ones were only about an hour and 15 minutes give or take. Whatever, we'll figure it out. I worked on it for the better part of the week so I needed some proofreading ears because, you know you're too close to the project and whatever and you miss the little things that you really should not miss period so thanks for checking. I will get on to it tomorrow. Because let me tell you all I want to do is sit on the sofa with my dog and watch some TV for a change. Because Monday starts too soon and then the professor's give me more homework

~Niki Myers
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Well, if this section really is that long, we can add more sections to accommodate for the extra sections. Don't worry about uploading them again if the length is correct, I can change the file names as they need to be changed. I will wait to do anything until I hear from you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
NikisEssentials

Awesome. Yeah I'm going to go through it again the second time the third time force time 5th time because I get obsessed with things and I just can't seem to learn how to stop unless I forcibly do it like now so I'm going to not until tomorrow. I need sleep sometimes, or so they tell me. Cuz, sleep anyway. I will do the checking and then I will talk to you sometime tomorrow. Until then I'm going to go snuggle with my dog because he was little and fluffy.

~Niki Myers
NikisEssentials

icequeen wrote:Well, if this section really is that long, we can add more sections to accommodate for the extra sections. Don't worry about uploading them again if the length is correct, I can change the file names as they need to be changed. I will wait to do anything until I hear from you!
Ok. So far the first section of chapter 4 is clear, but needed some extra editing. I caught a few mistakes. So here that is. I'll finish 2 & 3 sometime today.

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poemsofamericanhistory4_04_various_1_128kb.mp3

Time: 54m 8.248 sec.

~Niki Myers
NikisEssentials

NikisEssentials wrote:
icequeen wrote:Well, if this section really is that long, we can add more sections to accommodate for the extra sections. Don't worry about uploading them again if the length is correct, I can change the file names as they need to be changed. I will wait to do anything until I hear from you!
Ok. So far the first section of chapter 4 is clear, but needed some extra editing. I caught a few mistakes. So here that is. I'll finish 2 & 3 sometime today.

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poemsofamericanhistory4_04_various_1_128kb.mp3

Time: 54m 8.248 sec.
Ok There is no part 3. I copied in a whole hour long section.
Part 2 of this total recording is only 23 minutes and 36.978 seconds long.

We all have those days I suppose :D Nonetheless. It is done, edited, listened SO many times fixed. If it was a thing it would be shiny.

URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poemsofamericanhistory4_04_various_2_128kb.mp3

So sorry for the confusion. Glad we have it all cleared now :D

~Niki Myers
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Awesome, Niki. No doubt it's ready to go, and I'll listen soon - in the meantime, a quick LV Rules meeting with icequeen:

Ann, I have seen the 60 minute maximum everywhere, and it took a couple years before I had one, a Christmas story, that came in at 1:05, and then I was told it was OK, the real maximum was 72 minutes, the length of a CD. We have a 75 minute section here - again, my fault for pushing all chapters into whole sections - and I have questions about the solution.

If we create a new section midstream, will intros and outros need to be redone for all the downstream sections? Is 4a and 4b a thing? It looks so undigital. I'll be in chagrin overload if I have to ask all the readers to change their proofed submissions.

CD's? F'real? I guess I still use a paper check 2 -3 times a year, so maybe CD's are still a thing. Are they? Have we ever just let a 75 minute section be?

Finally, if indeed the rule is inviolable, I have a cheat I used in my section that I propose, only if Niki is OK with it. My section was many minutes over this limit. I selected the whole track > effects > change speed, and only sped the whole track up 1%, which brought me under the limit by seconds. Now, I am an Extreme Naturalist about effects, never compress or level, am not bothered by clicks, and don't mind noisy inbreaths at all. Proves a human is recording! But the 1% speed change didn't bother me, when I listened. Niki, I offer to string these two mp3's together and tweak the length as described, if Ann says that is the best solution, and if you're OK with that. Or you can, if you'd rather. I'm just sympathetic with how many times you've gone over it, and feel responsible for the problem.

thoughts?
NikisEssentials

You are not fault, I'm not at fault. It's just about now editing and too much busy in my brain which is normal. I get a little obsessed with things. My brain works a little funny, but I think since we all dig the narrating of audiobooks and literature and stuff which is why we're here obviously, we're all obsessed with strange fish things. But I'm okay with it if you want to go over that with things to bring it under the thing in them together. I'm trying to do and deal with classes and homework being this is my final semester for my degree so far, and he don't running a business, and being an adult witch is not fun at all really, but I'm fine with it if you want to go over that with them together and speed it up a little bit if it still sounds good let me know. But I did have to edit a few parts because I either missed a phrase or section of a stanza or mispronounced a word. Many times my brain goes faster than my mouth. Every day. But I'm okay with that. If ice cream is okay with it I'm okay with it. It's for the betterment of the literature. I am all for that period literature is important. That is why I am pursuing the degree that I am pursuing which starts off with my associates in philosophy. Almost done for more weeks to go. I think I can handle it.

~Niki Myers
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

edhumpal wrote:Awesome, Niki. No doubt it's ready to go, and I'll listen soon - in the meantime, a quick LV Rules meeting with icequeen:

Ann, I have seen the 60 minute maximum everywhere, and it took a couple years before I had one, a Christmas story, that came in at 1:05, and then I was told it was OK, the real maximum was 72 minutes, the length of a CD. We have a 75 minute section here - again, my fault for pushing all chapters into whole sections - and I have questions about the solution.

If we create a new section midstream, will intros and outros need to be redone for all the downstream sections? Is 4a and 4b a thing? It looks so undigital. I'll be in chagrin overload if I have to ask all the readers to change their proofed submissions.

CD's? F'real? I guess I still use a paper check 2 -3 times a year, so maybe CD's are still a thing. Are they? Have we ever just let a 75 minute section be?

Finally, if indeed the rule is inviolable, I have a cheat I used in my section that I propose, only if Niki is OK with it. My section was many minutes over this limit. I selected the whole track > effects > change speed, and only sped the whole track up 1%, which brought me under the limit by seconds. Now, I am an Extreme Naturalist about effects, never compress or level, am not bothered by clicks, and don't mind noisy inbreaths at all. Proves a human is recording! But the 1% speed change didn't bother me, when I listened. Niki, I offer to string these two mp3's together and tweak the length as described, if Ann says that is the best solution, and if you're OK with that. Or you can, if you'd rather. I'm just sympathetic with how many times you've gone over it, and feel responsible for the problem.

thoughts?

It is my understanding that the absolute maximum for burning to a CD is 79 minutes. Our limit of 75 minutes gives us a little bit of a buffer. And, yes, I have allowed a 75 minute section to stand as it is. But, if you want to change the speed to make it closer to 70 minutes, please use Change Tempo. Change tempo will speed up or slow down without changing the quality of the reader's voice. I use change tempo all the time because I am a fast talker and someone complained. I slow myself down by 2% and it is not noticeable.

Oh, and to answer that question, there are some people who still actually burn CD's. I haven't burned a CD is years, but some people don't have all the electronic devices that others have, and some people don't have great internet. And, a person can also buy burned CD's on ebay, here is an example right here!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

I tweaked the length as discussed and section 4 is PL OK! Let us know if you'd like another one. But don't cause yourself stress, make sure everything's fine with school and puppy. :lol:
NikisEssentials

Awesome sauce! No, things are fine. I actually find it a relaxing thing. I just needed to do a couple of auditions for an author a ACX that wanted me for a series, so i needed to clear up a bit for that. Oher than that, it's just a cool solo project from the late 1800's that I just put in for that I really want to do. All is well.

~Niki Myers
Kalynda

Post by Kalynda »

May I please have section 6?
Il faut cultiver nos jardins.