[Complete]The Ghost Camp by Boldrewood - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DonaldH

Post by DonaldH »

Alright, I'll work it out when I do the recording and see what works best. Also that does make more sense, I figured it was closer to that word but my brain got stuck on it having four letters since it had 2 dashes. Thanks guys.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Or my 'better half' suggested 'darned' might be an acceptable alternative...
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I've been reading through the text of this novel for interest, and I noticed a few place-names cropping up that are usually mispronounced by folks outside Australia.

"Wagga" (short for Wagga Wagga, which is Aboriginal for "Place of Many Crows"), is ALWAYS pronounced as though the first 'a' were an 'o', thus "Wogga". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagga_Wagga

"Monaro" is pronounced "Mon-AIR-o" *

"Melbourne" is pronounced as "MEL-bin" *

The capitals indicate the stressed syllable.

If I spot any others, or if you are doubtful as to the pronunciation, just ask. Just bear in mind that Australians rarely pronounce massed vowels as they are written. "Woolloomooloo" is pronounced "WUU-lu-mu-LOO", in spite of local wags: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.8725427,151.2177936,3a,15y,329.83h,76.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5ftAGwP7GioBxa--oKVOjg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en And "Goonoo Goonoo" is generally rendered as something along the lines of "GUN-a-ga-NOO".

In fact, if you want to work on your Australian pronunciation, and indeed, accent, just try to speak moving your lips as little as possible. :wink:

Cheers,
Son of the Exiles
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:I've been reading through the text of this novel for interest, and I noticed a few place-names cropping up that are usually mispronounced by folks outside Australia.

"Wagga" (short for Wagga Wagga, which is Aboriginal for "Place of Many Crows"), is ALWAYS pronounced as though the first 'a' were an 'o', thus "Wogga". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagga_Wagga

"Monaro" is pronounced "Mon-AIR-o" *

"Melbourne" is pronounced as "MEL-bin" *

The capitals indicate the stressed syllable.

If I spot any others, or if you are doubtful as to the pronunciation, just ask. Just bear in mind that Australians rarely pronounce massed vowels as they are written. "Woolloomooloo" is pronounced "WUU-lu-mu-LOO", in spite of local wags: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.8725427,151.2177936,3a,15y,329.83h,76.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5ftAGwP7GioBxa--oKVOjg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en And "Goonoo Goonoo" is generally rendered as something along the lines of "GUN-a-ga-NOO".

In fact, if you want to work on your Australian pronunciation, and indeed, accent, just try to speak moving your lips as little as possible. :wink:

Cheers,
Son of the Exiles
Thank you - if you don't mind, I'll include your suggestions in the first post.
That said, we don't comment on pronunciation, so even if it grates on the ears (as mine probably does), we let it go (case in point: the town of Ely in England, where my mother lives, is pronounced "Eelee", but I PL'd a section where a reader said "Ell-eye" - drove me nuts :roll: ... but some may say that's a very short journey)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I've always thought that the best response to "You're driving me crazy!" is "That's not a drive, that's a short putt."

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
DonaldH

Post by DonaldH »

Hey, I thought I claimed section 1 later than I did so I thought I had more time to get it finished. Sorry about that. I see it didn't get claimed by somebody else so I'd still like to finish it if you're okay with that. :)
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

DonaldH wrote:Hey, I thought I claimed section 1 later than I did so I thought I had more time to get it finished. Sorry about that. I see it didn't get claimed by somebody else so I'd still like to finish it if you're okay with that. :)
That's fine - I'll reinstate your claim.
martym

Post by martym »

ok...I'm working on the Irish translation for a lot of this chapter. whew
ATTORNEY: ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
WITNESS: Oral...
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

martym wrote:ok...I'm working on the Irish translation for a lot of this chapter. whew
Which chapter is that? I don't have you in the MW.

Edit: Oops, looking back in the thread, I see you previously had section 2, so I've reinstated that for you.
martym

Post by martym »

Chapter 2....it was back in Dec...( oh wow ) so I must have past the 3 month tolerance and my name is gone. I'd still like to complete it if I may.
ATTORNEY: ALL your responses MUST be oral, OK? What school did you go to?
WITNESS: Oral...
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

martym wrote:Chapter 2....it was back in Dec...( oh wow ) so I must have past the 3 month tolerance and my name is gone. I'd still like to complete it if I may.
Sure - I've put you back in there :thumbs:
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 6 is ready for PL.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 6 - Chapter V part I

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 7 ready for PL.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTION 7 - Chapter V part 2

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus