[COMPLETE]Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, Vol 2 Songling Pu-dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carteki

Post by carteki »

Idanm wrote:Hey, nice to be here, just as Holly, it's my first recording as well, exciting!
Welcome Idan. Hope you enjoy the time that you spend with us.

Please can you read the newbie guide to recordingand complete your 1 minute test. This is to ensure that you have your technical settings set up correctly. I have reserved the pieces for you and right now there is no rush for completion, but we do ask that you finish within a 2 month timeframe.
realisticspeakers wrote:Hi, may I read:

My Chinese is a bit rusty...actually I don't know any Chinese, but Google is my friend.

Are we reading footnotes?
Assigned and nice to see you here. Google is your friend. I've also noted in the first post a reader who has offered linguistic assistance. Footnotes are as per the readers discretion - sometimes they're useful in understanding the story, other times they are more of a disruption and long winded.

Kim
carteki

Post by carteki »

HollyJenson wrote:Here's my link for Section 2 - The Fighting Cricket (file duration: 11:59)

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/strangestories2_002_pu.mp3

Thank you! This is my first recording! I can barely contain myself. :D :shock: :D :9: :D

Holly
Thank you Holly and nicely read on your first try :thumbs:

One note - the volume is too soft. You can use checker or the replaygain plugin in Audacity to check the overall volume and Amplify to adjust it to the required level of 89db (its at 85db).

Can I interest you in another chapter? The footnotes didn't add much to the story in this one. As per above the footnotes are as per the readers discretion as to whether or not to include.
jftocanada

Post by jftocanada »

Greetings Kim,

I do want to thank you for the balance, patience, technical tutorial information for myself
and finally the technical work you gave to me for my contribution to VOL. 1 of this project.
I had tried different tutorials on youtube and was getting different (and sometimes incorrect)
information regarding exactly the distinction between the functioning of noise reduction and
removal within audacity.

Your guidance and encouragement and my further dedication within the Curiosities of Literature
project with MC Carolin and PL Sonia finally helped me get passed the initial learning curve
of all the common ground necessities for work with librivox as well as give me the opportunity
of working on different kinds of texts.

I recently finished my contributions with the Curiosities of Literature project due to
having accomplished and worked on enough high-end or academic level expository text
and currently enjoying and succeeding within the Birds and All Nature perhaps more
straightforward and less dense expository project...

But with respect to timing, the opportunity to contribute one more time to this project ~
and this time VOL. 2 (I'm so happy there is one!)
would actually co-incide well with my own other energy comittments toward high school
credit english work and the reading of literary passages.

Although nothing wasted ~ I appreciate this longer introduction won't always be necessary...

So in simple conclusion,

I wish to claim section 60 (chapter 122) "The Flying Cow" of this project.
And I very much look forward to the narrative~literary text reading required
because it is a fairly shorter section that I know I can handle that way ~
as well, having learned, clarified and strengthened so much re. tech side of things
with the support of so many skilled mc's and prooflisteners...
I look forward to the prooflistening process as a much easier back-and-forth this time,
even more enjoyable.

Yes, librivox work with the different kind of text assignments at different times
is a great help to my own studies ~ and as a user of the accomodation of talking books
myself for many years due to learning disability ~ the process of the work benefits the projects
and librivox and my own quality of life and educative goals.

Many thanks,

sincerely,

jftocanada
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

carteki wrote: I've also noted in the first post...
:oops: Oh. Was I supposed to read that? :hmm:

:roll:
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Question from a first-time reader: I noticed that there is a PL note by my recording that says "volume." Is this something I should try to fix now, or should I wait until I get a specific message from someone?

Holly
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
carteki

Post by carteki »

HollyJenson wrote:Question from a first-time reader: I noticed that there is a PL note by my recording that says "volume." Is this something I should try to fix now, or should I wait until I get a specific message from someone?

Holly
Hi
The PL notes are posted in the forum. In this case the 2nd post from the top.
jftocanada wrote:...
I wish to claim section 60 (chapter 122) "The Flying Cow" of this project...

Nice to have you back. Your piece had been assigned.
Kim
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Hi, Kim,

OH! Now I see the notes about my volume being too low. For some reason I wasn't seeing that there were new replies to this thread.

So, my question now is, do I need to re-record it, or is there some magic way to increase the volume without re-recording? (I'm an Audacity semi-newbie also.)

And yes, I would definitely be interested in another chapter once I work the bugs out. :)

Thanks!
Holly
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Hang on! Never mind! I figured it out.

I watched a quick YouTube video that answered my question, and it was very easy to fix without re-recording. I uploaded the file again (I hope that's what I was supposed to do), and the link is here:

Thanks for your help!

Holly
Holly

carteki

Post by carteki »

HollyJenson wrote:...

Thanks for your help!

Holly
Spot PL OK. Congratulations on finishing the First Recording for this project and Your First Recording :clap:
Idanm

Post by Idanm »

carteki wrote:
Idanm wrote:Hey, nice to be here, just as Holly, it's my first recording as well, exciting!
Welcome Idan. Hope you enjoy the time that you spend with us.

Please can you read the newbie guide to recordingand complete your 1 minute test. This is to ensure that you have your technical settings set up correctly. I have reserved the pieces for you and right now there is no rush for completion, but we do ask that you finish within a 2 month timeframe.
realisticspeakers wrote:Hi, may I read:

My Chinese is a bit rusty...actually I don't know any Chinese, but Google is my friend.

Are we reading footnotes?
Assigned and nice to see you here. Google is your friend. I've also noted in the first post a reader who has offered linguistic assistance. Footnotes are as per the readers discretion - sometimes they're useful in understanding the story, other times they are more of a disruption and long winded.

Kim
Hey Kim, this is the link for my 1 min test: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62157
and this is the 1 min test file: http://uploads.librivox.org/tests/Test_idanm.mp3

Tell me if everything is good and I can get started(:

Thanks
Idan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Some interesting stories here!
Any chance of a pronunciation guide to the Chinese names?

In the meantime, I would like to start with the following sections, if I may": 42,81,82,83,97
~ Larry
carteki

Post by carteki »

Idanm wrote:Hey Kim, this is the link for my 1 min test: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=62157
and this is the 1 min test file: http://uploads.librivox.org/tests/Test_idanm.mp3

Tell me if everything is good and I can get started(:

Thanks
Idan
Congrats on passing your 1 minute test. You can start recording here :)

Kim
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

I'd like to claim Chapter 77 - Singular Case of Ophthalmia.

Thanks!

Holly
Holly

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

silverquill wrote:Some interesting stories here!
Any chance of a pronunciation guide to the Chinese names?

In the meantime, I would like to start with the following sections, if I may": 42,81,82,83,97
Request withdrawn.
~ Larry
jftocanada

Post by jftocanada »

Here is completed section 60 (chapter 122) "The Flying Cow"

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/strangestories2_122_pu.mp3

(duration ~ 1:57)

Is Kim still handling PL duties for this project with a different MC this time?

Either way, looking forward to PL process.

I am confident in the elimination of DC bias, amount of noise reduction
and vocal performance.

Happy to be contributing to this project.

The shorter length pieces of this project are within my capacity and helpful
to me at this time.

sincerely,

jftocanada