[COMPLETE]Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, Vol 2 Songling Pu-dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
carteki

Post by carteki »

Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, Volume 2 by Songling Pu (1640 - 1715). Translated by Herbert Allen Giles (1845 - 1935)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/strange-stories-from-a-chinese-studio-volume-2-by-songling-pu/
"Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio" or "Strange Tales of Liaozhai" is a collection of nearly five hundred mostly supernatural tales written by Pu Songling during the early Qing Dynasty. It was written in Classical Chinese rather than Vernacular Chinese. Pu is believed to have completed the majority of the tales sometime in 1679, though he could have added entries as late as 1707. He borrows from a folk tradition of oral storytelling to put to paper a series of captivating, colorful stories, where the boundary between reality and the odd or fantastic is blurred. The cast of characters includes vixen spirits, ghosts, scholars, court officials, Taoist exorcists and beasts. Moral purposes are often inverted between humans and the supposedly degenerate ghosts or spirits, resulting in a satirical edge to some of the stories. Ghosts and spirits are often bold and trustworthy, while humans are on the other hand weak, indecisive and easily manipulated, reflecting the author's own disillusionment with his society. ( Wikipedia)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text : https://archive.org/details/strangestoriesfr02pusu (footnotes close to relevant text)
      or http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43628 (footnotes at end of text)
    5. Footnotes: There are numerous footnotes in the text. I am leaving it up to the readers discretion as whether to include the footnotes or not based on if they enhance the understanding of the text, without interrupting the flow of the story. If you need any clarification please ask below.
    6. How to Pronounce "Giles": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEq5Li-lILs
    7. Chinese Pronounciation: Our very own Lian Pang (lian2902952) has offered to give assistance where needed else google is your friend (if you have a good link please let me know in the comments below).
    8. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

carteki will DPL.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Culture & Heritage

Keywords that describe the book: librivox, short stories, chinese, fables, ghosts, china, myths and legends, eastern

============================================
    9. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    10. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, Volume 2. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain."
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, Volume 2, by Songling Pu. Translated by Herbert Allen Giles [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, Volume 2, by Songling Pu. Translated by Herbert Allen Giles (1845 - 1935)"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    11. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      strangestories2_###_pu_128kbps.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. strangestories2_001_pu_128kbps.mp3)
    12. Example ID3 V2 tags
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Track Number: ##

Please ignore the other tags - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below
Last edited by carteki on February 19th, 2017, 9:41 am, edited 8 times in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm not MCing this,

but are you planning to chop this book up into several parts or combine the stories somehow? Because if I counted correctly, there are 102 stories in this volume plus 2 appendices.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
carteki

Post by carteki »

I haven't counted up, so thank you for doing so! It is very easy to add new sections (I find easier than tying the info into the generated table) so I was going to finalise the sections when I was putting together the MW. 102 sections means the filenaming convention will also change.
I wasn't going to do the Appendicies, or do you think they are important?

Kim
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Kim,

I can MC this for you.

MW is set up.

I would recommend a word-count of the stories before determining whether to combine or not. If many are short, less than 15 minutes or less than 2,500 words, then I think it would be better to combine stories.

After a quick glance at the appendices, I would consider adding Appendix A (probably in multiple parts) as it contains a information relating to, but not found in, the stories themselves. I would skip Appendix B as it is short and the definitions are not that unusual.

David O

P.S. I will move this over to either "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" or "Readers Wanted: Books" once you get a better idea of the section lengths.
carteki

Post by carteki »

Thank you David.
I've updated the MW with chapter headings, page numbers and word counts.
I've left the small stories as individual chapters and this is how they were treated in volume 1 and this is just a continuation - as you can see by the chapter #'s.

Kim
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Since most of the stories are short, I am moving this to "Readers Wanted Short Works".
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

I'd like to claim Section 2, The Fighting Cricket. This will be my very first recording, so I'm choosing something short and easy.

Thanks!
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
carteki

Post by carteki »

HollyJenson wrote:I'd like to claim Section 2, The Fighting Cricket. This will be my very first recording, so I'm choosing something short and easy.

Thanks!
You must've read my mind ... there I was musing about the intro to these short stories (there is a shortened form which is in the instructions now) and on refresh I see your post! Enjoy the tale (and many more...)

Welcome to Librivox. Please let me know how you want to be reflected in the catalog (in addition to your username) and if you have a webpage you'd like to link.

Kim
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Hi, Kim,

My username is HollyJenson and my real name is Holly Jenson. The only correction is that it's Jenson, not Jensen. No website or anything else.

Thanks! I hope I can do this!

Holly
Holly

"I'll tell you right out, I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~Kasper Gutman
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

OK, I finished my recording, and I think it's ready to upload. However, I have a couple of questions:

1. Regarding the ID3 tags,

Title: ## - [Section title]
Track Number: ##

02 - The Fighting Cricket (Is this what I put in the title section?)
For the track number, I have no idea what I should put there. Please advise.

2. My username is HollyJenson, and I'd like to be identified the same way, only with a space between my first and last name. PLEASE NOTE THAT JENSON IS SPELLED "SON," NOT "SEN."

Thanks!
Holly Jenson
Holly

carteki

Post by carteki »

Hi,
ID3 tags are not that important. The title is "The fighting crickets"; the track number is 2.
Thank you
Kim
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Here's my link for Section 2 - The Fighting Cricket (file duration: 11:59)

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/strangestories2_002_pu.mp3

Thank you! This is my first recording! I can barely contain myself. :D :shock: :D :9: :D

Holly
Holly

Idanm

Post by Idanm »

Hey, nice to be here, just as Holly, it's my first recording as well, exciting!

I would like to claim:

79 - The Spirits of the Po-yang Lake
&
80 - The Stream of Cash

With the username Idan M.

BTW, how long it is expected until recorded and uploaded?
Thanks
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hi, may I read:

5 67 - The Magic Path
10 72 - The Wolf Dream
11 73 - The Unjust Sentence
19 81 - The Injustice of Heaven,
22 84 - Courage Tested

My Chinese is a bit rusty...actually I don't know any Chinese, but Google is my friend.

Are we reading footnotes?
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
HollyJenson

Post by HollyJenson »

Oops! :shock: I hope reading footnotes wasn't required because I used the Kindle version which didn't show the footnotes, so I didn't read them.

Holly
Holly