(
9<
/) )
_L___§___\|/__§______\|/_____§_______§§_
"For want of a bird / The sky was lost" -- Tom Waits

pnagami

Post by pnagami » May 30th, 2016, 5:51 am

Hi Lilith. Very nice to meet you!

I am very excited to listen to your project!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson

pnagami

Post by pnagami » May 30th, 2016, 7:21 am

Hi Lilith,

It is really a pleasure to listen to you read Maugham. I think you are going to have a great future as a reader.

Your volumes through Checker are all within range: 88.2, 90.4, and 91.1. The acceptable range in 87-91, but the optimum is 89. So, as far as your readings go, everything is great--speed, cadence, pacing.

The only think I would suggest in future is putting the file through Checker at the end and adjusting it slightly to bring each file to 89. It is very easy to adjust files through the Amplify function. For example, you would adjust these: .8, -1.4, -2.1.

But these are all PL OK as they and there is no need to adjust them (unless you have an irresistible desire to do so).

Looking forward to listening to the next chapter!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson

OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 » May 30th, 2016, 7:28 am

pnagami wrote:Hi Lilith,

It is really a pleasure to listen to you read Maugham. I think you are going to have a great future as a reader.

Your volumes through Checker are all within range: 88.2, 90.4, and 91.1. The acceptable range in 87-91, but the optimum is 89. So, as far as your readings go, everything is great--speed, cadence, pacing.

The only think I would suggest in future is putting the file through Checker at the end and adjusting it slightly to bring each file to 89. It is very easy to adjust files through the Amplify function. For example, you would adjust these: .8, -1.4, -2.1.

But these are all PL OK as they and there is no need to adjust them (unless you have an irresistible desire to do so).

Looking forward to listening to the next chapter!

Pam
Thanks a lot for the encouragement Pam! And the advice! :clap:

I just found out about Checker.... Still getting familiar with Librivox. I will use it from now on. :D
-------oOOo--oo------Oo----------

\
(
9<
/) )

pnagami

Post by pnagami » May 30th, 2016, 7:54 am

Great, Lilith.

Either you have had some training or you are a naturally good reader!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson

OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 » May 30th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Thanks Pam! You are making me blush... :mrgreen: No training....

Terrible day! :( Just spent the whole afternoon trying to turn on my computer, and it shut off just after I finished the recording! :cry: Fortunately the file is intact. Chapter 4 ready! Fortunately my computer seems to be working fine now. What a relief! :D

I've tried the Checker and it works fantastic! I also had a go with MP3 Gain. Let's see if this is better. :D

\
(
9<
/) )

pnagami

Post by pnagami » May 30th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Hi Lilith,

I'm really sorry to hear about your terrifying computer mishap! Assuming you work in Audacity, I save very frequently to the Audacity project file and about every 30 minutes I export the audio MP3 to my documents file in case Audacity or the computer crashes. You will get the overwrite warning when you export to a saved MP3 for the project, but you go right through it and overwrite each version as you go, so there is just one MP3 for the project. Finally, I save the MP3 to a jump drive (thumb USB drive) twice--once when I complete the unedited file and once when the editing is finished. That way I have a computer-independent copy.

Four very useful keyboard shortcuts in Audacity are:

z to find a zero crossing (you use that prior to all cuts and all splices)
control+x for cut
control+s for save
(I actually hold the control key and hit x and s in sequence) and
shift+r to continue recording from the end of the track

Sorry to run on and I hope this helps!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson

OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 » May 30th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Hi Pam,
Thanks for the tips! Especially about zero crossing! :clap: Yes, I am using Audacity and new to it. I can see many possibilities in the programme, full of functions that I have no idea what they mean... :shock: Will get there eventually, I hope! :)

When I see the clip getting longer and longer it's like heading for disaster, will be clicking save and save and save! :wink:

\
(
9<
/) )

pnagami

Post by pnagami » May 30th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Great! Also recommend Phil Chenevert's videos on YouTube. Actually, we Librivoxers only need to understand a little bit of Audacity.
Pam
Will PL Section 4 this evening.

Robert Louis Stevenson

pnagami

Post by pnagami » May 30th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Hi Lilith,

Section 4 is PL OK.

Volume right on target. Great reading!

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson

OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 » May 31st, 2016, 3:38 am

Thanks Pam! And I'll check the video! :D

\
(
9<
/) )

OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 » May 31st, 2016, 12:32 pm

I know it sounds silly, but I am really sad that I have to leave my computer in the shop till next week. :cry: The consolation is that it qualifies (so far) for the Apple recall extension programme, so I don't have to pay anything. I won't be able to record until next week. :( Hopefull everything will be fine!

\
(
9<
/) )

pnagami

Post by pnagami » May 31st, 2016, 12:41 pm

No problem, Lilith! Take your time. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff happens all the time on Librivox.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson

OCTL7

Post by OCTL7 » June 3rd, 2016, 7:56 pm

Finally got my computer back! :lol: Experienced a little hiccup but everything seems to be fine now. :clap:
I actually missed recording these few days! :D

\
(
9<
/) )

pnagami

Post by pnagami » June 3rd, 2016, 8:07 pm

Excellent. I missed listening to you!

I hope all goes well (but of course problems arise all the time).

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson