COMPLETE [RUSSIAN] Essays of the Past by Levanda - maryanns

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MayaS

Post by MayaS »

MaryAnn, I like your idea of providing a summary in English and in Russian. I will take care of it in advance of completing the recording or is it needed ASAP?
Maya
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Mark is in as BC. Maya, you still have access to the MW as the "alternate BC" behind the scenes.

I've updated the intro/outro language in the first post.

Mark - i want to make sure I have the catalog record set up correctly.

- I think the author's name will be in roman characters - I'll check that with the folks who take the lead on our author database and confirm.

- For the book title in the catalog . . . . should we use Russian characters followed by an Roman character transliteration? Sort of like this project that I worked on with Masa? http://librivox.org/onsyuu-no-kanatani-by-kikuchi-kan/ So "Очерки прошлого: рассказы (Essays of the Past)" as the book title?

- When creating the archive page and the Librivox.org book page, I will need to use roman characters. I can create those pages using "essaysofthepast" or "ocherkiproshlagorazskazy". Do you have a preference?

- Filenames also need to be in roman characters (no accent marks). I think it's nice to somewhat match the file names to the archive page address. So which do you think? "essaysofthepast_##_levanda_128kb" or "ocherkiproshlagorazskazy_##_levanda_128kb"?

- I think it would also be nice to have a bilingual book summary for the catalog page. I think it's odd when the summary for a non-English project is only in English. But as an English only speaker, I do like to be able to tell what the book is about from the summary . . . That's up to you and Maya.

MaryAnn
- Yes, please use "Lev Levanda". There is no Eng. Wikipedia article on him, but there is in Rus.: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%B0,_%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%B2_%D0%9E%D1%81%D0%B8%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87

- I've completed a few projects in Rus., and sometimes my MCs gave them dual titles (e.g. "Ice March - Ледяной поход", http://librivox.org/ice-march-by-roman-gul/), and sometimes in pure Cyrillic (e.g. "Сочинения", http://librivox.org/poetry-and-prose-by-evgeny-baratynsky/). Both work fine in catalogs and search engines.

- No strong preference, but "essaysofthepast" and "essaysofthepast_##_levanda_128kb" would be more understandable.

- I completely agree, will work with Maya on a bilingual summary.

Thank you, MaryAnn, for your attention and guidance!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MayaS wrote:MaryAnn, I like your idea of providing a summary in English and in Russian. I will take care of it in advance of completing the recording or is it needed ASAP?
Anytime before we finish is fine Maya.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Mark,
Thanks for the Wikipedia link. I've added that to the author page.
MaryAnn
MayaS

Post by MayaS »

This is a quick update for MaryAnn and for anyone else, who is following this project. I am making good progress and plan to post a recording of the first story by the end of this month.
Best Regards,
Maya
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

MayaS wrote:... I am making good progress and plan to post a recording of the first story by the end of this month...
Fantastic, thank you for the update! Looking forward to it!
MayaS

Post by MayaS »

Maya
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

MayaS wrote:Recording of section one is posted
Thank you, Maya! :thumbs:
It may take a few days before I have a chance to listen, but I'm looking forward to it.
Please don't wait for me and record the next section!
MayaS

Post by MayaS »

Thanks, I won't wait :-)
I already started on section II. In parallel, I would like to update the description/summary of the book.
Do we need it in both Russian and English?

I am also wondering if we can improve on the intro/outer text for each section, but I will let you be the judge of that. Enjoy your summer.
Maya
Maya
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

MayaS wrote:Thanks, I won't wait :-)
I already started on section II. In parallel, I would like to update the description/summary of the book.
Do we need it in both Russian and English?

I am also wondering if we can improve on the intro/outer text for each section, but I will let you be the judge of that. Enjoy your summer.
Maya
Maya, I did not have a chance to listen yet, but the technical check shows too much background noise. Please note when you are recording, you may find this useful: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning

Yes the summary should be in both languages, please. Let me know if I could help.

What do you think can be improved in the intro/outro?
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec.1 PL OK :thumbs:
I don't hear any problems at all, very good voice. The background noise is not noticeable (still it's a good idea to reduce noise).
Thank you, Maya, looking forward to other sections!
MayaS

Post by MayaS »

Thank you very much, Mark. I will work on improving noise control. I think, the more I record, the better my diction will become. ☺
Maya
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

MayaS wrote: I think, the more I record, the better my diction will become.
No doubt about it, but I wouldn't worry. Your diction is very good, and your voice is pleasant. If I were to offer something for improvement, I'd suggest to check the stress if in doubt. I noticed misplaced stresses in "маркЁр" and "софА", maybe something else, but that's nitpicking.
MayaS

Post by MayaS »

Mark and Maryann,
Due to the circumstances beyond my control, I had to stop working on this project. I expect to resume around October 1.
Maya
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

MayaS wrote:Mark and Maryann,
Due to the circumstances beyond my control, I had to stop working on this project. I expect to resume around October 1.
Maya, I hope everything is well with you and the family.
It's absolutely no problem, thank you for letting us know! Take care of your life, and get back to the project when you can.
You have also claimed a few sections at "Портреты русских поэтов" -- please post something similar to that forum too!
Good luck!