COMPLETE - The Story of the Armada by Amice Macdonell -mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea » April 26th, 2016, 7:34 pm

The Story of the Armada by Amice MacDonell ( - ).

This project is now complete and can be found in our catalog here: https://librivox.org/the-story-of-the-armada-by-amice-macdonell/

It's the summer of 1588, and all is not well in England. Citizens are plotting to betray their queen for Spanish gold, and the dreaded Armada is coming closer and closer. It's up to Lord Burleigh and brave Sir Francis Drake to stop them, but will they succeed in convincing Queen Elizabeth that such action is necessary? And when the Spanish ships finally arrive, what will happen to the queen and the citizens of London?
Please see the second post after this for more information before you choose a part.
Casting for this project is mostly gender specific - see the MW for which parts are which.
Thanks a lot!

MC: MaryAnn
BC: SweetPea
Editor: SweetPea
PL (parts): SweetPea
DPL (edited acts): Esther ben Simonides
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/stream/historicalplaysf00macd#page/64/mode/2up
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file: At the beginning: Act [#] of The Story of the Armada, by Amice MacDonell. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end of each act: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play: End of The Story of the Armada, by Amice MacDonnell.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    armada_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where # is the act number. (e.g. armada_nan_1.mp3

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by SweetPea on November 15th, 2016, 11:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rachel

"For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies, even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise..." (Les Mis)

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea » April 26th, 2016, 7:49 pm

I suppose I'm slightly crazy after Robin Hood took a year to finish, but this time I'm doing things a bit differently. I'm also planning to back up any partially edited files in the cloud, to avoid having to edit the whole play twice and the songs five times each (which happened last time.)
- We are actually singing this time. I decided it would sound better than reading, and wouldn't be much more work for me to edit. I'm marking the singing parts in the MW and here - please don't claim them unless you are comfortable singing, though it does NOT have to be super good singing. Mine is not :lol: . If you can, try singing along with my files, it should make things easier. :)
- I am not getting the whole cast to sing the "all" song, because I discovered last time that I can only have a few characters at once or it's impossible to understand. Just four characters, who sing elsewhere in the play.
- I'm not particular about accents (I would rather a "wrong" accent than a badly done "correct" accent), but please note that a couple of characters speak in some sort of English dialect. It would also be cool to have Don Pedro have a Spanish accent, but it's fine if he doesn't.
- I decided to use the old MW system - I think it's a lot more newbie-friendly and easier to navigate than the new one, the only problem being having to put all the links in the Notes field, and this project is small so that won't be much of a problem :) Note for the MC - I forgot about the narrator :lol: so I'll actually need 21 sections rather than 18.
- I'm reading Nan, all other parts are open, and here is the list until the MW is up:

William Cecil, Lord Burleigh (Acts 1, 3)
Sir Walter Raleigh (Acts 1, 2, 3) Sings
Sir Francis Drake (Acts 1, 2, 3)
Master Jock Burwood, Herb Merchant of London (Acts 1, 2, 3) Sings
Will of Babbicombe, a West-Country Sailor (Acts 1, 2, 3) Speaks in dialect
Don Pedro de Valdez, a Spaniard (Act 3)
First Conspirator (Act 1)
Second Conspirator (Act 1)
Third Conspirator (Act 1)
Ap Thomas, a Welshman (Act 2) I'm not quite sure if he speaks in dialect or not, since he only has a line or two :lol:
Dickon, a Derbyshireman (Act 2) Speaks in dialect
Queen Elizabeth (Acts 1, 2, 3)
Lady Mary Howard, Lady-in-Waiting (Act 1)
Mistress Nan Hanway, Londoner (Acts 1, 2, 3) Sings
Mistress Alice Bridgewater, Londoner (Acts 1, 2, 3) Sings
Stage Directions (Acts 1, 2, 3)

Thanks a lot! I'm looking forward to this!
Rachel :D
Last edited by SweetPea on May 1st, 2016, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel

"For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies, even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise..." (Les Mis)

catrose

Post by catrose » April 27th, 2016, 11:31 am

I see the word Welsh and I'm immediately attracted ;) Once this is up and running, may I steal both of Ap Thomas' lines. I'm not sure if it's dialect or a misprint, but I'm pretty certain the first line should be "From Wales." not "From Fales". But equally, I don't know. I may very well just pronounce my W's as F's :lol:

ETA: Actually I assume it is dialect changing it to an F, cos they also added an extra s to is and "farry" instead of very. I'll give my Southern cousins a phone call and mimic their accent ;)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea » April 27th, 2016, 1:43 pm

That would be great, thank you :D
Rachel

AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles » April 27th, 2016, 6:39 pm

May I read Mistress Alice Bridgewater? :) Thanks!

EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides » April 27th, 2016, 6:44 pm

Do you mind if I play three characters in different acts? If so, I'd like to play Don Pedro, a conspirator, and Dickon. If not, may I play Jock Burwood?
Thanks!
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » April 27th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Rachel,
I'd be happy to MC this for you.
MaryAnn

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea » April 27th, 2016, 8:25 pm

AdeledePignerolles wrote:May I read Mistress Alice Bridgewater? :) Thanks!
She's all yours! Thanks a lot! :)
EstherbenSimonides wrote:Do you mind if I play three characters in different acts? If so, I'd like to play Don Pedro, a conspirator, and Dickon. If not, may I play Jock Burwood?
Thanks!
I think I'm going to go more gender specific for the main characters this time. Sorry about that :) Would you like Queen Elizabeth, or a conspirator and/or Lady Mary, instead? Thanks!
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Rachel,
I'd be happy to MC this for you.
MaryAnn
Thank you, MaryAnn! I've filled in the MW. I think I actually needed only one extra section rather than three :oops: so would you mind deleting the last two sections? Thanks a lot!
Rachel

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » April 28th, 2016, 2:56 am

Can I read Queen Elizabeth please?

Elizabeth :lol:

LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW » April 28th, 2016, 8:50 am

Could I read Lady Mary Howard, please?
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea » April 28th, 2016, 9:41 am

Elizabby wrote:Can I read Queen Elizabeth please?

Elizabeth :lol:
Of course, Your Majesty :lol:
LydiaCW wrote:Could I read Lady Mary Howard, please?
All yours - thank you! :)
Rachel

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone » April 28th, 2016, 12:11 pm

As Don Pedro has only one speech may I read that for you.
I could do Dickon as well as they are in different acts.
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

SweetPea

Post by SweetPea » April 28th, 2016, 12:56 pm

That would be lovely, thank you! I'll sign you up for both :)
Rachel

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » April 28th, 2016, 4:18 pm

May I read (and sing) Sir Walter Raleigh?

Thanks, Todd

LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW » April 28th, 2016, 5:16 pm

Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!