COMPLETE [Dram Read] Under the Lilacs by L. M. Alcott-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Under the Lilacs by Louisa May Alcott (1832 - 1888).

This project is now complete and can be found in our catalog here: https://librivox.org/under-the-lilacs-ver-3-by-louisa-may-alcott/

When a raggedy boy from the circus limps into the lives of the Moss family, he is unlike any child they have ever met. With his devoted and clever dog, Sancho, at his side, Ben’s amazing stunts from the big top and kindly, eager persona win the hearts of the Mosses, as well as the nurturing affection of his new mistress, Miss Celia, and the friendship of her spoiled brother, Thornton. From birthday parties to broken bones, times of triumph to times of tragedy, the group sticks together through it all in this heart-warming children’s story by Louisa May Alcott. (Summary by Twinkle)
All roles will be gender neutral, except where noted in the MW. Please read ONLY from the scripts links in the MW!

MC: MaryAnnSpiegel
BC: Twinkle88
DPL: zwergwolf
Narrator: stoogeswoman
Editors: wib66, stoogeswoman, aaronml

1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (Only for the DPL!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3795
    Please read from the text links in the Magic Window - scroll down past the character listings!
  5. Please claim roles by section number (the numbers in the first column below). Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalog. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

Submit one file per chapter. Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  7. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    underthelilacs_##_character.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  8. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Twinkle88 on October 16th, 2016, 8:17 am, edited 17 times in total.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

And here is the cast list with chapter commitments, for anyone who wants to look ahead (also contains brief character descriptions--NOT reader requirements, except when noted as Gender Correct in MW):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gChtB8Ah0_HF0a5kTxcoj6otVe2wAF_62jXDMsYLzCE/edit?usp=sharing

Ben Brown, Thorny, and the Narrator are claimed, but all other roles are open wide!

Still looking for a DPL, as well!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'd be happy to MC this for you. I contributed to a group read of this in my early days of LV and loved the story. It will be great to have it in the catalog as a DR.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

It looks like you are putting the links for all chapters read by each character in one section in the MW. Would you prefer to have a separate section for each chapter that each character submits? It's a lot more sections, but then you can group the PL OK parts together by chapter. Here's an example: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=60533

MaryAnn
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Yeah, I've thought about the two different ways of doing it... I finally decided to do it the way Elizabby is for Rilla of Ingleside. I've read a quite a few parts for that project, so I feel like I'm more familiar with how that way of organizing things works.

And thank you for MCing this!!! I love this story, too! :D
catrose

Post by catrose »

It's lovely to see this up and running :) Are you not taking anything, Twinkle?

Could I claim Voice 1 please? I'll "flavour" each different voice depending on the chapter/what I am (in chapter 1 for example, when the voices are both violets and dolls! :) )
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

I'll take something eventually. Maybe the part that no one wants. :wink:

Sounds perfect! Thank you, Cat!! :)
lian2902952

Post by lian2902952 »

May I claim section 5 miss Celia and section 37 the kitten ? I would be happy to meow meow meow :D :D
Lian Pang

All art is quite useless. - Oscar Wilde
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Thanks!! For now, I would like people to claim roles that are not in overlapping chapters, and Miss Celia and the kitten are both in Chapter 16. I'll just put you down for Miss Celia if that's alright (unless you'd rather be the kitten, of course!). :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'll read Mrs Moss for you, if you like? I'm a young/middle-aged mother, so that's all matching! :lol:
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Yay, thank you, Elizabby! :clap:
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Glad to see you have this up and running!
Just let me know where to find my stuff (narrator). thanks! 8-)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

The text links for each chapter are at the bottom of the Magic window, scroll down to Section 38 and following. The texts are colour coded, narration is usually the black text.

Just a tip: when I'm narrating I usually start with chapter 3 and come back to chapters 1 and 2 at the end. This is because I usually become more familiar with the authors style through the book, so I do the opening chapters last in order to make them the smoothest and best. After all, for the listener you only get one chance to make a good first impression!
stoogeswoman

Post by stoogeswoman »

Elizabby wrote:The text links for each chapter are at the bottom of the Magic window, scroll down to Section 38 and following. The texts are colour coded, narration is usually the black text.

Just a tip: when I'm narrating I usually start with chapter 3 and come back to chapters 1 and 2 at the end. This is because I usually become more familiar with the authors style through the book, so I do the opening chapters last in order to make them the smoothest and best. After all, for the listener you only get one chance to make a good first impression!
Oh, I see now, thank you very much (also for the tips!)! 8-)

One more question from a practical standpoint, do I need to leave a certain amount of "pause" between my narration & wherever the various parts are to be inserted?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes please do! :thumbs: It makes the editing easier if you leave 2-3 seconds space for other lines to be inserted. More space is better - it can always be cut, but slicing between close together phrases is much more difficult.