[COMPLETE]Tolstoi for the Young: Selected Tales-pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ncline

Post by ncline » June 12th, 2016, 4:37 pm

thank you, Phil, for your encouragement. I will take your advice and try a different kind of project.
~ ncline

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » July 1st, 2016, 5:48 pm

drwebber - do you still want to record the story you claimed in April?

Zoom meeting.LibriVox Chit-Chat#4 Y'all come! Editing is the main topic
Time: Sep 19, 2020 07:00 PM Central
Meeting Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82120531493
Passcode: 5jRX8K
Dat's me: 10% stud; 90% muffin

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle » July 1st, 2016, 6:33 pm

may I claim section 2? (I feel like I am claiming so many things I might drown in them, but this 10,000 projects goal is just so exciting!)
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » July 1st, 2016, 7:11 pm

plaidsicle wrote:may I claim section 2? (I feel like I am claiming so many things I might drown in them, but this 10,000 projects goal is just so exciting!)
Of course. And don't drown, we need you here. Image

Monaxi

Post by Monaxi » July 2nd, 2016, 11:08 am

Hello Phil! Well, I'm probably a fool for taking this on, but I'd like to record section 1.

Since it's the first section of the project, how do you want the intro to read? Thank you!
Peace be with you,
Sister

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » July 2nd, 2016, 11:33 am

Monaxi wrote:Hello Phil! Well, I'm probably a fool for taking this on, but I'd like to record section 1.

Since it's the first section of the project, how do you want the intro to read? Thank you!
You are no fool. This is a wonderful story and will be interesting to record. Thanks for claiming it.

START of recording (Intro)
"Section [number] of Tolstoi for the Young: [ Ivan The Fool]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Tolstoi for the Young. Translated by Mrs. R.S. Townsend - [Ivan The Fool]"

Please ask if you need anything at all. :thumbs:

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » July 2nd, 2016, 3:20 pm

Section 3 PL notes.

I've listened to parts 1 and 2 of Section 3, A Prisoner, and I hear the word Tartar(s) pronounced "Tartan(s) at every instance, and it occurs a huge number of times in those two parts. I did a word search that showed it occurring somewhat less but still frequently in the remaining parts. It's going to cause many listeners hilarity because a tartan is the traditional Scottish plaid skirt worn by men.

If you want to fix it, I think it would be much easier to just record the story again than to make all those corrections.

I'll leave it to you and Phil to decide what to do.
Pattymarie

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » July 3rd, 2016, 10:14 am

pattymarie wrote:Section 3 PL notes.

I've listened to parts 1 and 2 of Section 3, A Prisoner, and I hear the word Tartar(s) pronounced "Tartan(s) at every instance, and it occurs a huge number of times in those two parts. I did a word search that showed it occurring somewhat less but still frequently in the remaining parts. It's going to cause many listeners hilarity because a tartan is the traditional Scottish plaid skirt worn by men.

If you want to fix it, I think it would be much easier to just record the story again than to make all those corrections.

I'll leave it to you and Phil to decide what to do.
Hi Pattymarie. I've listened to the first 15 minutes or so and hear exactly what you are talking about, you are right it should be Tartar, not tartan. However she tells the story so well that it just carried me along in the adventure and the consistency of pronunciation made it sound OK and it really did not bother me. So it is my decision that she will not need to re record this section (unless she has a burning desire to do so of course. In which case just let us know, eh?). On another note, this recording is a bit loud at almost 95 dB but I will take care of this at validation time. The reader should note that for future recordings and try to keep it closer to 89 dB. Thanks again to both of you for good work.

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » July 3rd, 2016, 10:50 am

Thanks Phil. I half hoped, half anticipated that something like that would be your reaction. :)

I'll just wait for word from her about what she wants to do before proceeding. I've just received seven files of "The Forty-five Guardsmen" after a long drought thanks to the reader's academic responsibilities - those will keep me happily busy tonight and tomorrow night.
Pattymarie

mferrar

Post by mferrar » July 5th, 2016, 11:24 am

I'm sorry, I read it as Tartan. I am pretty good at fixing these types of things, so give me an opportunity to change the necessary words to Tartar. And I have noted the volume db is too high.

Thanks,
Michelle
Thanks,
mferrar

“At my age...nothing is serious except indigestion.”
― Wilkie Collins, Man and Wife

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » July 5th, 2016, 2:04 pm

No need to apologize, Michelle. I just felt I had to say something. You have read it beautifully otherwise and could follow Phil's permission to just leave it as is.
Pattymarie

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » July 5th, 2016, 3:07 pm

mferrar wrote:I'm sorry, I read it as Tartan. I am pretty good at fixing these types of things, so give me an opportunity to change the necessary words to Tartar. And I have noted the volume db is too high.

Thanks,
Michelle
I suggest you leave it as it is and don't re-record. First, that is a long section to re-record and edit and secondly it will require another complete proof listening. If, however, you do decide to re record the whole thing, then by all means do it and I volunteer to PL it for you! Image. Just let us know; we want you to have fun and do what you think is right.

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » July 6th, 2016, 6:33 am

I'll be happy to pl either the rest of the story as is or a new recording. Phil, if you want to volunteer to pl something, I think you would enjoy and am sure Adele will be thankful if you proof this 13 and a half minute file viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61125 It's my section for a wonderful project called Chinese Diamonds For the King of Kings, the "diamonds" being Chinese people who gave their lives to Christ in response to the work of missionaries in China. I signed on as dpl for it on condition that I be allowed to read a couple of sections as well, but Adele hasn't had time to listen to it for the weeks that have passed since I uploaded it. :)
Pattymarie

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » July 6th, 2016, 8:21 am

pattymarie wrote:I'll be happy to pl either the rest of the story as is or a new recording. Phil, if you want to volunteer to pl something, I think you would enjoy and am sure Adele will be thankful if you proof this 13 and a half minute file viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61125 It's my section for a wonderful project called Chinese Diamonds For the King of Kings, the "diamonds" being Chinese people who gave their lives to Christ in response to the work of missionaries in China. I signed on as dpl for it on condition that I be allowed to read a couple of sections as well, but Adele hasn't had time to listen to it for the weeks that have passed since I uploaded it. :)
Glad to do that. Will PL it tomorrow at the latest. :D

pattymarie

Post by pattymarie » July 6th, 2016, 10:56 am

Thank you, Phil. No rush.

I've just proofed the rest of section 3 as it is and only find that it has 18 seconds of silence at the end. I'm sure listeners will appreciate that being snipped down to 10. If you just do that and the volume adjustment, I'll mark it PL OK, Michelle. It is a very moving story and your reading conveys the excitement, suspense and moral seriousness of it.
Pattymarie