[Complete]Great Disasters and Horrors by Allen Godbey - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Great Disasters and Horrors in the World's History by Allen H. Godbey (1864 - 1948).
All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/great-disasters-and-horrors-in-the-worlds-history-by-allen-h-godbey/

Note to readers in death +70 countries.: Allen Godbey died in 1948.
"Mankind is constantly astonished by reports of mishaps and disasters of manifold character, when there is seldom room for astonishment. A large proportion of the calamities reported from day to day are directly due to the haste, greed, and heedlessness of man himself, and need no comment.

But there is a large class of disasters, due solely to meteorological or geological conditions, which surpass all others in magnitude and appalling destruction. In such cases men insist on prating about “mysterious visitations,” as though these occurrences were subject to the dominion of no law. To an examination of such is this book devoted." From the preface. ( )
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51246
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Readers, please note: no extensions will be granted thru July 2016. If you are unable to complete your section(s) it will be reassigned
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Allen H. Godbey) : n/a
    7. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    8. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 28
    9. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    10. Original publication date (if known): 1890
    11. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Nature

Keywords that describe the book: snow, volcanoes, earthquakes, rain, tornadoes, famine, winds, cyclones, electric storms, flood, pestilence

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Great Disasters and Horrors in the World's History. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Great Disasters and Horrors in the World's History, by Allen H. Godbey. [Chapter]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Great Disasters and Horrors in the World's History, by Allen H. Godbey. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    greatdisastersandhorrors_##_godbey_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. greatdisastersandhorrors_01_godbey_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
ILOVECOWSLC

Post by ILOVECOWSLC »

Hello this Luke Castle I would like to volunteer for section 1 I will be using the user name ilovdcowslc on the form and I will use my initials on the this is a librivox rec all librivox ect message anything else I neexd yto know I so email me at ilovecowslc@gmail.com thank you -Luke Castle
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ILOVECOWSLC wrote:Hello this Luke Castle I would like to volunteer for section 1 I will be using the user name ilovdcowslc on the form and I will use my initials on the this is a librivox rec all librivox ect message anything else I neexd yto know I so email me at ilovecowslc@gmail.com thank you -Luke Castle
Hi Luke and welcome to Librivox!
I can certainly reserve section 1 (Myths of the Winds) for you but there are a few formalities before you get started.
First, we ask all new readers to complete a one minute test to ensure their recording setup meets with Librivox requirements. If not, you'll be given tips on how to change things. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test Post your test in the Listeners Wanted forum for the quickest response.
You will also need to be entered in the catalog. I can do that for you if you and will enter you with your initials, as you have said that is what you will use as an identifier. We can also link to a personal website or blog, if you have one.
Lastly, all the information you need for recording is in the first post, but if you have questions, please ask.
Lynne
Edit: Luke, I am not finding you. Have you registered yet? https://librivox.org/pages/volunteer-for-librivox/
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Sorry for the butting in. I was curious as to why you couldn't find Luke and if he can post on the forums he has to have registered. So I was messing about in the workflow and I honestly don't know exactly what I did to achieve it but he's there now. :oops: So you don't need to add new reader, just assign the section.

Sorry again for being a buttinski. :oops:
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Darvinia wrote:Sorry for the butting in. I was curious as to why you couldn't find Luke and if he can post on the forums he has to have registered. So I was messing about in the workflow and I honestly don't know exactly what I did to achieve it but he's there now. :oops: So you don't need to add new reader, just assign the section.

Sorry again for being a buttinski. :oops:
Thank you, Bev. I was probably being a dimwit (not the first time).

Ok, Luke, you've got section 1.
ILOVECOWSLC

Post by ILOVECOWSLC »

ok have done the 1minet test can I rec?
ILOVECOWSLC

Post by ILOVECOWSLC »

yea
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ILOVECOWSLC wrote:ok have done the 1minet test can I rec?
Once your test has been ok'd, yes, you can record. It's best to wait, as if there is a technical issue its less frustrating to find out on a 1 minute test, than a 20 minute 'real' recording - as many impatient people will attest.
Just be sure to read the first post - in particular, we need the disclaimer at the beginning.
ILOVECOWSLC

Post by ILOVECOWSLC »

may I also have section 2? This is ilovecowslc@gmail.com I will use LC as my name
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ILOVECOWSLC wrote:may I also have section 2? This is ilovecowslc@gmail.com I will use LC as my name
Luke, have you completed your test yet? You might want to make sure everything is OK before claiming too many sections - but yes, you can have 2.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

This is right up my alley. I will DPL if you would like.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

afutterer wrote:This is right up my alley. I will DPL if you would like.
Thank you. I've added you to the MW.
Moving to Readers Wanted.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Thanks Lynnet.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Chapter 20 is ready for PL.
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

Section 20 - The Volcano

PL OK
Anthony