COMPLETE - FLASHMOB The Comedy of Errors by Shakespeare-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
catrose

Post by catrose »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:There are 4 PD versions on PG - ok, ignore the first folio version because we have learned that that version is difficult to read, that leaves 3 clearly PD versions. Two have been done before, one has not. Will one of those work?

MaryAnn
Gutenburg is notoriously bad at Shakespeare texts. Choosing one of the Gutenburg texts would involve someone going through all 4 texts line by line looking for inconsistencies and mistakes to choose one that is most accurate, or we'll end up with the same enter/exit problems as we had on the last project. In the last one, I did go through line by line, word by word against both those texts and the OS Shakespeare text in order to find such mistakes and I'd just like to avoid spending hours doing the same for this project.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

MW filled out! Thanks Charlotte--does that make it alright for us to use that text?
Adele

Post by catrose »

I'm pretty certain it does, so keep it for now as we wait for MaryAnn's approval :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Could I read Luce in Act 3 and the Servant in Act 5?
I can edit an act too - I'll be faster this time because I'm not planning to get another cold like I did last week ;)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

SweetPea wrote:Could I read Luce in Act 3 and the Servant in Act 5?
I can edit an act too - I'll be faster this time because I'm not planning to get another cold like I did last week ;)
Certainly! Ugh, colds are horrible! :D
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
adonis

Post by adonis »

Gutenburg is notoriously bad at Shakespeare texts. Choosing one of the Gutenburg texts would involve someone going through all 4 texts line by line looking for inconsistencies and mistakes to choose one that is most accurate, or we'll end up with the same enter/exit problems as we had on the last project. In the last one, I did go through line by line, word by word against both those texts and the OS Shakespeare text in order to find such mistakes and I'd just like to avoid spending hours doing the same for this project.

Is this comment correct? I genuinely need to know because, while I can see the Elizabethany spelling text is fraught with difficulties, I have supposed the others to be consistent and accurate. As a simple point, why is this site you're using deemed to be absolutely correct? I simply ask because I don't know what your original text that is deemed perfect is. My issue with Gutenberg is a very simple one; I can download texts in Kindle format which I can expand to LARGE size on my Kindle with a black screen, white lettering set up. This is an ideal reading format for the partially sighted. I'm only on Librivox at all because I had a cataract op that worked and I still have issues our dear old NHS is hard at work working out, much like an algebra problem. So I would always wish to choose Gutenberg; would be chary of this project because I can't so far as I know download the text in Kindle format; and I need to know the word on Gutenberg because (of course) of my wish to use it as an aid to my eyesight in future projects. I chose a Gutenberg text for my recently completed All's Well That Ends Well Solo; I need to know. Am I right or am I wrong to read from Gutenberg?

Sincerely,
Tony Addison

P. s. I am snowed under with other projects at the moment, so please don't rush to offer me help and support to join in this project because this week I certainly can't do that. I am asking only for general information, for when I am choosing a Shakespeare text to read from, for example for another Solo or similar project. Thank you.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Theoretically, people may read from whichever text they wish as long as it's Public domain and you can check it against the MIT. The MIT is the official text for this project and so it's the one that everything will be PLed against and any deviation from that changes meanings will be noted.

This is my 9th or 10th Shakespeare production here at Librivox, around half of which I've been DPL for or helped with PLing. Each project that has been started with a Gutenberg text as the main text has had to be eventually swapped out of an alternative because of inaccuracies like the Enter/Exit one in the last one. Keeping MIT as the official text of the project merely cuts out the middleman of having to swap it out later.

Mainly inaccuracies are in stage directions or wrongly attributed speeches or mispellings/inaccuracies in names which can be avoided entirely by using the MIT. So, Tony, using the Gutenburg to read a character from wouldn't be different or that different at all, though you may have difficulties in searching for characters in the texts, an example being whether Laurence Gobbo is that or clown or clowne as he was listed as all 3 in the previous text. But with stage directions, it's best to approach them with an ounce of skepticism and lots of logic (thinking is this correct here? Is this character in this scene? Are they leaving or entering? Etc)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Cat,

There is nothing on the MIT site to indicate the source of their text. Each separate edition of a work can create it's own copyright. As I understand it, Mobi has taken an edition and converted it to HTML. Mobi has released the HTML into the public domain, but that doesn't mean that the source document therefore also becomes public domain. We need to confirm that the edition used by Mobi is public domain, or we need to use an edition that we can confirm is PD (either by publication date or by Gutenberg clearance).

I note that the Wikipedia site on the Mobi project states:
Moby Shakespeare contains the complete unabridged works of Shakespeare. This specific resource is not available from Project Gutenberg.
Has any other LV Shakespeare project used Mobi as a source? If so, please point me to it and I'll check the thread to see how they addressed the PD question. The two earlier versions of COE both used PG texts.

MaryAnn
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

If you are willing to take on a newbie proof listener, I can help on the play.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
EstherbenSimonides

Catrose has actually offered to DPL, but you're welcome to have a part, if you like. :D
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, thanks to Tricia for some leg work behind the scenes to check sources for our other Shakespeare projects. She's confirmed that the MIT site has been used for a number of other Shakespeare projects here at LV looking at that history, we are comfortable with the PD status of MIT's source (an 1886 edition).

MaryAnn
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

May I read the Courtezan? (Because the role is so me, don't you know.)

Just a suggestion, which you probably don't need since your last play went so well: If you have trouble filling roles as the week goes on, you could change the thread title to reflect the special circumstances, something like "Comedy of Errors IN 2 WEEKS" or "SHAKESPEARE FLASH MOB: Comedy of Errors."
Laurie Anne
EstherbenSimonides

chocoholic wrote:May I read the Courtezan? (Because the role is so me, don't you know.)

Just a suggestion, which you probably don't need since your last play went so well: If you have trouble filling roles as the week goes on, you could change the thread title to reflect the special circumstances, something like "Comedy of Errors IN 2 WEEKS" or "SHAKESPEARE FLASH MOB: Comedy of Errors."
Certainly! Thanks for your suggestion!
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
EstherbenSimonides

I have made a pronunciation guide to standardize the pronunciations of names. It's in the same Google Drive folder linked to in my second post.

And Dromio (I just realized I need to make some adjustments to the naming scheme) is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/comedyoferrors_dromio_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/comedyoferrors_dromio_3.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/comedyoferrors_dromio_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/comedyoferrors_dromio_5.mp3
I will come up with something so that Antipholi and Dromios don't get confused... :?
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Hi. Could I claim sections 5-7, Antipholus of Ephesus ?

Thanks.
John Burlinson