[Complete] One Act Play Collection 009 - LT

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Availle wrote:I've just read "Attuned" - it's brilliant! And not PD for me... :(
Just a note: There is a single line at the end for a "voice", actually Grace's father, so unless you'd want the narrator to read this one as well...

Speaking of narrator, I'd like to narrate for "Mosada" please. Not enough female roles in this one, and I definitely don't sound like a young girl anymore.
Thank you for that I have added a section for the Voice. I have signed you up to Narrator in Mosada
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
judyd1

Post by judyd1 »

I would like to do the narrator part for Phipps, but I've never done the narrator part for a play before. Do I just read the parts between the dialogue? Do I leave spaces--and if so, how much?
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Hello Judy,

Thank you for claiming, and thanks for asking before recording!

Please do leave gaps between your lines. 1-2 seconds is fine, and longer would also be absolutely fine. It makes it easier for me to edit all of the parts together that way.

Narrators get to read the LV disclaimers as well as the stage directions. So, at the beginning, you'd say: 'Narrator, read by Judy.'

You'd also say: 'Phipps, by Stanley Houghton, One Act Play Collection 009 . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.'

And at the end: 'End of Phipps.'

As narrator, you'd read all of the parts between the dialogue, as well as the scene-setting parts at the beginning and any stage directions. To take a couple of concrete examples: on page 75, it's all the narrator's lines except Lady Fanny's two lines ('Very well then, hit me! Hit me! Hit me, do you hear?' and 'Well, why don't you hit me? I'm waiting to be hit.'). On page 76, the narrator only has one line, about two-thirds of the way down the page: 'Sir Gerald, shocked'.

Does this help? If not, don't be afraid to ask questions. :D
-Erin
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Availle wrote:Here's the narrator for Mosada:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/mosada_narrator_yeats.mp3
thanks I have put it in the MW ready for PL
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

judyd1 wrote:I would like to do the narrator part for Phipps, but I've never done the narrator part for a play before. Do I just read the parts between the dialogue? Do I leave spaces--and if so, how much?
Hi Judy I have added you as narrator and I see Erin has given you some guidance as to how to proceed. Please ask if you need anything else.

Thanks
Michele
catrose

Post by catrose »

Title and author: The Belles of Canterbury by Anna Bird Stewart (??-??)
* PD text link: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/15007
* Number of roles (including narrator) this project will have: 12
* Original publication date: 1912

Freshman
Sophomore
Junior
Senior
Wife of Bath
Prioress
First Nun
Second Nun - (sings. Please see the end of this post for details)
Emily
Hippolyta
Griselda

Yes, it is very much like the Midsummer's Dance Dream we did back in, ooo, 2013ish? For collection 006. It is an all female, so sorry blokes!
The 4 pupils at an all girls school are learning about Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, when certain famous ladies from it decide to pay them a visit. I hope you'll recognise Wife of Bath, Prioress and the Nuns from their prologues and tales. Emily and Hippolyta are characters from the Knights Tale and Griselda the heroine of the Clerk's tale.

The Second Nun has a song, specified to the tune of Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes, which is quite a famous folk song/traditional English tune. The tune (which is PD) can be found here on Archive: https://archive.org/stream/homesongscollect00unse#page/32/mode/2up
I'd rather it be sang, if I could :)

I'd like to take the Prioress please! It's always the pretty ones who have the goriest tales to tell, and so she is a favourite of mine :twisted: (I am currently studying Wife of Bath's Prologue and Tale for my A Level exam and yes, this counts as wider reading for me ;) )
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

The Belles of Canterbury is set up.
Michele
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

May I apply for the Wife of Bath please ? :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Just a question, is it possible to play a part in two of the plays ? Because I am thinking of joining the cast of one of the Houghton plays as well, if it were possible. Not decided on which one though...

Sonia
catrose

Post by catrose »

Kitty wrote:May I apply for the Wife of Bath please ? :)

Sonia
Thank you Sonia, that would be amazing!!

ETA: Yes, it is possible to claim roles in as many plays in the collection as you wish. :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Newgatenovelist

Jump right in, Sonia - I was hoping you'd be interested. :)
Erin
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Hello! I'm interested in BCing a play, if I may.

* Title and author: "Where But in America" by Oscar M. Wolff
* PD text link: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37970/37970-h/37970-h.htm#page_393
* Link to author on Wikipedia, and death date, if known: N/A, N/A
* Link to title on Wikipedia: N/A
* Number of roles (including narrator) this project will have: 4
* Original publication date: 1917
* List of characters:

Narrator (I'd like to read this part)
Mrs. Espenhayne
Mr. Espenhayne
Hilda
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Newgatenovelist wrote:Jump right in, Sonia - I was hoping you'd be interested. :)
Erin
Erin it's so unfair ! Both your plays are extremely tempting. Now I can't make up my mind. If it wasn't too greedy I would want to appear in both plays. I'll claim Lady Fanny first, if I may. I would like Fancy (the names are similar LOL) as well, but if it's too much, I understand and leave it open for somebody else to claim.

Thanks

Sonia
Newgatenovelist

Erin it's so unfair ! Both your plays are extremely tempting. Now I can't make up my mind. If it wasn't too greedy I would want to appear in both plays. I'll claim Lady Fanny first, if I may. I would like Fancy (the names are similar LOL) as well, but if it's too much, I understand and leave it open for somebody else to claim.
If you'd like to claim Fancy as well as Lady Fanny, that's okay. The plays have been posted for a little while, so other people had their chance. :wink: