COMPLETE-The Merchant of Venice by Wm Shakespeare-maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EstherbenSimonides

Post by EstherbenSimonides »

The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare (1554 - 1616).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/the-merchant-of-venice-by-william-shakespeare-2/
"All that glisters is not gold", "If you prick us, do we not bleed?" and "love is blind" are among the many famous quotes of William Shakespeare's tragicomedy the Merchant of Venice. The merchant of the title, Antonio, owes the bank a lot of money because he gave all of his to his best friend/partner-in-crime Bassanio in order to woo the love of a young and beautiful heiress, Portia. With Bailiffs around the corner, the friends have to borrow money from Shylock, a miserly old Jew. Now, the issue is that Antonio doesn't like Shylock and manages to insult him. A lot. So Shylock says he will only give Bassanio the money he needs to woo Portia if, if the debt is not repays, he get's a pound of Antonio's flesh (because that's legal!). And, for fear of revealing too much, Bassanio goes off to woo Portia and it looks like Antonio won't be able to pay back the money in time. What is needed in an event like this? A bit of girl power, that's what!! (Seriously guys, just volunteer to read it!) - Temporary summary by Charlotte Duckett, so grab your role quick!
BCs: Esther ben Simonides and Adele de Pignerolles
PLS: Esther, Adele, Catrose (More PLs wanted!)
Editors: Esther, Adele, SweetPea, Commonsparrow3, Kristingj
MC: MaryAnnSpiegel
Narrator:
  1. Is there a deadline?
    The target completion date is Feb 29. The goal is to have all parts recorded and submitted by Sunday, Feb 21. Any parts not submitted by this date will be opened up for new readers. An extension has been made to Wednesday, February 24. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at the "Magic Window" below. All the sections without a reader name beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which part you would like to read. Read points 5. to 7. below for what to do before, during and after your recording. Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

The parts of Bassanio, Gratiano and Lorenzo are gender specific. Everything else is gender neutral.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Please read from the Google Docs linked in the MW! https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B419SsV_TJoXZFdIcWw4RFZUM0U&usp=sharing Source text for final PL: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2243

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  5. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  6. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of William Shakespeare , by The Merchant of Venice . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  7. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    merchantofvenice_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  8. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by EstherbenSimonides on February 23rd, 2016, 6:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

This looks like fun! I'd love to help edit, if you need it?
I'll also read a part, but I'm not really familiar with this play, so is there one you think would suit me? I'd rather read a girl than a man, if that's possible. :)

Thanks!
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
EstherbenSimonides

SweetPea wrote:This looks like fun! I'd love to help edit, if you need it?
I'll also read a part, but I'm not really familiar with this play, so is there one you think would suit me? I'd rather read a girl than a man, if that's possible. :)

Thanks!
Would you be interested in playing Jessica? She's the daughter of Shylock and marries Lorenzo. Thanks so much for the offer of help editing!
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
EstherbenSimonides

Here is the Cast List!

Duke of Venice read by pschempf 4
Prince of Morocco read by Candybatch 2
Prince of Arragon read by pschempf 2
Antonio read by Kristingj 1,2,3,4,5
Bassanio read by jburlinson 1,2,3,4,5 *
Solanio read by TriciaG 1,2,3
Salarino read by LindaB 1,2,3,4
Gratiano read by Kitty 1,2,3,4,5 *
Lorenzo read by adonis 1,2,3 *
Shylock read by adonis 1,2,3,4
Tubal read by commonsparrow3 3
Launcelot Gobbo read by jburlinson 2,3,5
Old Gobbo read by natsnut 2
Leonardo read by kathrinee 2
Balthasar read by pshempf 3
Portia read by catrose 1,2,3,4,5
Nerissa read by JenniferFour1,2,3,4,5
Jessica read by SweetPea 2,3,5
Portia's servant read by pschempf 1
Messenger read by LydiaCW 2,5
Man from Antonio read by natsnut 3
Narrator read by glennobrien 1,2,3,4,5

*=Gender Specific
Last edited by EstherbenSimonides on February 23rd, 2016, 6:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Sure, I can do Jessica. :)
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

I would love to participate.

I would be pleased to read any part. My first impulse was Portia or nerissa but ... Maybe something else would suit better? Your call. I will read whatever part you would like me to...even a tiny one.
Last edited by JenniferFour on February 13th, 2016, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

I'd be happy to help edit scenes, if you can use me.

Edited to add: I'd also like to read Tubal, a nice small role in one scene!
Last edited by commonsparrow3 on February 13th, 2016, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

May I have the Duke. What's "read by 4" mean, hopefully not 4:00 this morning. :shock:
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Esther,
Happy to MC. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
EstherbenSimonides

SweetPea wrote:Sure, I can do Jessica. :)
Thanks so much!
JenniferFour wrote:I would love to participate.

I would be pleased to read any part. Portia or Nerissa would be great but I will take anything (honestly - I just think it will be fun to a part of this even in a tiny role).
Sure! Which do you want?
commonsparrow3 wrote:I'd be happy to help edit scenes, if you can use me.

Edited to add: I'd also like to read Tubal, a nice small role in one scene!
Thank you! It would be great if you would play Tubal!
pschempf wrote:May I have the Duke. What's "read by 4" mean, hopefully not 4:00 this morning. :shock:
Thanks! I'm going to put the person's name after the read by, and the 4 means the Duke is just in Act 4.
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Esther,
Happy to MC. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Thank you!
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Nerissa would be great
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
EstherbenSimonides

JenniferFour wrote:Nerissa would be great
Okay, thanks!
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,
Esther ben Simonides
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I am not very familiar with this play, may I have the smallest role there is, please? :)
Kathrine
natsnut

Post by natsnut »

May I play Old Gobbo?
catrose

Post by catrose »

Can I take Portia? It's half term, so I have a week of school to be super speedy!

p.S. Would you like me to write a quick reader-catching summary as opposed to the Wikipedia one? Because it doesn't give a good idea as to what the play is about and as to what characters do. Not for the catalog, just to grab people over February!

ETA - are you sure with using the Gutenburg text for Shakespeare? In the past it had proved unreliable (because of mistakes). The Open Source Shakespeare (I think it's that one but can search through old threads?) is better, I think. I'd need to read from the original text as I have trouble reading colours.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!