COMPLETE - Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jburlinson wrote:For that reason, the Complete Works might be the best (most consistent) option. The other gutenberg texts are almost all virtually identical to the Complete Works -- in many cases, they're exactly the same. The only difference sometimes comes in the stage directions -- so if you haven't read any of the narrator's lines, your existing files will probably be totally fine.

Will this be OK?
Hi John

thanks for letting me know. So we take the complete works from Gutenberg. Ok, I'll check my texts on paper (had them all printed out for convenience) with the other text. So far I haven't done much yet, so no big deal probably, even if I have to say a word differently. As you said, the difference is probably not huge.

From now on: Complete Works ! Got it.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Sonia -- Just to be sure -- you'd like to DPL this, right?
John Burlinson
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jburlinson wrote:Sonia -- Just to be sure -- you'd like to DPL this, right?
yes...I'm not chickening out :mrgreen:

Sonia
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Rapunzelina wrote:Hi everyone! I'll be your MC for this project :) I'll go set it up!

About the text, always check the Bibrec tab at Gutenberg.org.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/100 is copyrighted. Perhaps the best option is the texts individually available in Gutenberg.
Good point! I had noticed that, but in the "license" portion of the file it says: "A) YOU MAY (AND ARE ENCOURAGED) TO DISTRIBUTE ELECTRONIC AND MACHINE READABLE COPIES OF THIS ETEXT, SO LONG AS SUCH COPIES (1) ARE FOR YOUR OR OTHERS PERSONAL USE ONLY, AND (2) ARE NOT DISTRIBUTED OR USED COMMERCIALLY. PROHIBITED COMMERCIAL DISTRIBUTION INCLUDES BY ANY SERVICE THAT CHARGES FOR DOWNLOAD TIME OR FOR MEMBERSHIP."

Sorry for the all caps -- I just copy/pasted out of the gutenberg file.

Doesn't this mean that LibriVox and in its listeners are indemnified, since there is no commercial use and LV doesn't charge anything?

I'm only asking for information purposes. I've already identified individual texts in gutenberg that can be used. How would I express this, though, in the template -- there are 21 different etexts? When the project is catalogued, how would this be handled? Would there be links to all of the source texts available to the listener?

Thanks for your advice and guidance.
John Burlinson
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I was just checking, whether I could access the MW. It works ! John, do you need help with filling in the sections ?

As for the copyright thing...it is tricky, they mention "distribution of text", does that include audio as well ?

Sonia
adonis

Post by adonis »

Basically, I am very keen to use texts out of Gutenberg. I don't know what the difficulty of handling multiple texts are; but that must always happen with multiple collections such as short stories or poems, must it not? I have my plan of action for when ready to go; and till the text is settled will read over parts to myself. Certainly hard to think of anyone but Shakespeare at present.

Much love,
Tony.
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Kitty wrote:I was just checking, whether I could access the MW. It works ! John, do you need help with filling in the sections ?

As for the copyright thing...it is tricky, they mention "distribution of text", does that include audio as well ?

Sonia
They say, "electronic or machine-readable" -- which covers audio, I believe. Something like Audible.com couldn't use these texts, but I don't think LibriVox has a commercial component, does it?

The other alternative is the one Beth suggested

http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/views/plays/plays.php

That is definitely PD. It's just that I don't know how compatible that is with Tony's setup. I know Folger doesn't line up well, but I don't know about opensource.

As for the MW, thanks for the offer. The only thing holding me back is the Antony & Cleopatra scene. Did you get the PM? I'd like to switch scenes to Act 5, scene 2 -- the death of Cleopatra. Much jucier for both you and Beth -- and it gives Tony a chance to show off his comic chops.

Are you OK with the swap?
John Burlinson
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

For all readers and editors -- To get clarity on the texts to be used, please consult the project's google spreadsheet for the moment. I've updated all the links to point to gutenberg texts that are explicitly PD, no copyright statement in the bibrec -- so no need for an attorney to be consulted :roll:. (No offence to any attorneys who might be reading this. You all do great work!)

I will include these links in the "notes" column of the MW for each of the 21 scenes.

I guess when it comes time to catalogue the finished product, we can have a link to the etext, as is done for some of the poetry collections. Rapunzelina -- will that work?

I hope this will work out for us all. In some ways, it's a tribute to Shakespeare that even after 400 years, there's money enough to be made that the legalities are still important.

I'm going to put the MW together now, including the Cleopatra death scene, even though I haven't heard back from everyone. If it turns out this won't work for anyone, I can edit as needed.

Wish me luck!
John Burlinson
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi Rapunzelina,

I've read the details of the "small print" and as I see it, it is just a "no commercial use" policy.

As I understand the copyright conditions it is simple "no commercial" use, including subscription services such as Audible, so I think LV should be fine. There is no condition on derivatives, and we are not distributing either the e-text or a machine readable form, so we should be OK to simply use the text and release it AS AUDIO into the PD. What we can't do it print it out or make it into a PDF and sell it to people, or charge for our audio files.

This license doesn't make us responsible for derivatives (which is great) so we don't have to worry about being held responsible if someone takes our files and tries to burn them onto a CD and sell them. WE didn't charge money so we aren't liable - the World Library can take the person selling the CDs to court directly! :thumbs:

Also, I think we are ready to go to Readers Found! :thumbs: The MW is live, DPL and readers are all aboard! :9:

(For now I've linked in the MW the individual PD Gutenberg texts so those who are ready to record can start! I won't be able to start most of mine until March I'm afraid.)

Rapunzelina - there is one extra section at the bottom of the MW, if you could please delete that one. When I counted I forgot that we were doubling up Caliban and Ferdinand! :roll:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We're in Readers Found!
jburlinson wrote:The favouritescenes part of the name is OK by me, as long as we don't forget to spell "favourite" the same way. (I may be the only person amongst us who doesn't spell words correctly.) It might work best for the editors, though, if the filename included both the scene number and the character's name. So -- favouritescenes_##_[role].mp3. E.g., favouritescenes_01_cleopatra.mp3. The scenes will all be numbered in the MW from 01 (Antony & Cleopatra) to 21 (The Tempest).

This way, the editor can easily assemble their scenes & roles together.

Will that work?
My suggestion of favouritescenes_##_shakespeare.mp3 is for the final files (where ## is the section number). The role files can still be uploaded as favouritescenes_##_[role].mp3 (where ## is the act/scene number).
I suggested favouritescenes instead of shakespearescenes so that we wouldn't have shakespearescenes_##_shakespeare.mp3 in the final files, a bit repetitive. I suggested favourite instead of favorite, because that's what you have in the title of the project as well ;)

Regarding the text, let's use the individual texts - it will be as in a poetry collection, as you said, John :thumbs: - since we should use texts that are clearly in the public domain.

Gutenberg includes a few e-texts that are copyrighted. Here is what it says on Gutenberg about it: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenberg:The_Project_Gutenberg_License#Copyrighted_Books
Copyrighted Books

Some authors give Project Gutenberg permission to distribute their book(s). This permission does not automatically expand to include you. If you want to distribute a copyrighted ebook you found on PG, you have to contact the author and stipulate an agreement.

N.B. The catalog will tell you if an ebook is protected by U.S. copyright law, but sometimes the catalog is wrong. Always look at the license inside the ebook to tell whether it is protected by U.S. copyright or not.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! I've made the etexts all hyperlinks from the MW.

Also, John, in terms of the narration, I think the intro should be changed to sound like this:

"[Play, Act, Scene] of Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

Then followed by the voice credits.

The outro can then be simply:

"End of Scene"

So it would be "MacBeth, Act 4, Scene 1 of Favourite Scenes from Shakespeare. This is a Librivox... etc."
adonis

Post by adonis »

No pressure. Just posting my first to see if I have the format right (naturally I can alter if other filename conventions etc. are suggested).

Length: 7:34

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_54_bassanio.mp3

Happy reading, everybody!

T.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

adonis wrote:No pressure. Just posting my first to see if I have the format right (naturally I can alter if other filename conventions etc. are suggested).

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_54_bassanio.mp3
Thanks Tony, I've put this in the MW for John or Sonia to PL. However, I think we were looking for the Scene Numbers rather than the Section numbers in the file name - so this should have been: favouritescenes_11_bassanio

Don't bother to reupload it just for that - I'll make a note to the editor in the MW.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jburlinson wrote:The only thing holding me back is the Antony & Cleopatra scene. Did you get the PM? I'd like to switch scenes to Act 5, scene 2 -- the death of Cleopatra. Much jucier for both you and Beth -- and it gives Tony a chance to show off his comic chops.
Are you OK with the swap?
I got the PM and also replied...I'm ok with the swap. 8-)

Working on my first submission, should be ready soon. Then I'll PL Tony's Bassanio. Stay tuned.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ok here is my first contribution. It's the Witch scene from Macbeth. I had fun doing it, but afterwards my voice was a bit scratchy. :help:

For the "double double toil and trouble..." we need to somehow speak it about the same length, since it will be spoken together. How is this usually handled ? Are the other two checking out the length of how I said it ? So that it won't become too much of a cacophony ? :hmm:

The Apparition I first spoke normal and then again with the reverb effect. You can listen to both and choose the one you think fits best. I think I managed to speak a bit of an echo even in the one without special effects LOL don't know how I did it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_41_first_witch_third_apparition.mp3
Recording time: 3:40 min.

So John will PL my files, correct ? Have fun.

Sonia