COMPLETE - Favourite Scenes From Shakespeare - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adonis wrote:No pressure. Just posting my first to see if I have the format right (naturally I can alter if other filename conventions etc. are suggested).
Length: 7:34
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_54_bassanio.mp3
Happy reading, everybody!
T.
Hi Tony

just PLed the first contribution. Well done :clap: word perfect reading ! Apart from that, also very well intoned (I especially liked the little chuckle in your voice near the end).

Bassanio PL ok.

Only error is the intro number 54, but I think that will be edited out anyway. Speaking of which, is it really necessary to say the entire librivox disclaimer here ? (I thought [role] read by [name] would be enough.) It will be erased anyway and only in the final acts will it be used once. Maybe only the respective narrator of a scene should say that one ? Only an idea, I don't mind saying it each time, but I think it's of no use.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Here's a small contribution for Julius Caesar. I hope I made my poet suitably over-dramatic/poetic (as poets should be) LOL

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_22_poet.mp3
Recording time: 0:48 min.

Question about this text: it's written in quite some older spelling, but it is ok to speak it modern right ? It didn't matter much for my poet, but I want to know for when I PL the others later on.

Sonia
adonis

Post by adonis »

I'm not completely sure what you meant by intro number 54: that was wrong for the filename, but it was right for the intro wasn't it? That's what I read in the instructions. I've used the Section Number in the intro of his one; I await further instruction. I can see entirely what you mean about the whole disclaimer, but it's in my head like the Hail Mary now so it's hardly more work. Pressing on.

Length: 4:44

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_02_orlando.mp3

Tony.

Length: 4:44
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adonis wrote:I'm not completely sure what you meant by intro number 54: that was wrong for the filename, but it was right for the intro wasn't it? That's what I read in the instructions. I've used the Section Number in the intro of his one
EEK ok, you're completely right. I got it wrong now with all what has been said before of the final scene naming. I apologize. Mea culpa. It's correct then.

That said, MY two contributions are now wrong because I used the scene number LOL So John will probably scold me for it... :help:
ah a new contribution...will see what I can do, but first: food.

Sonia
adonis

Post by adonis »

I'm getting that we use the individual texts in Gutenberg; but sometimes there's two texts, with R and J more? I just say.

T.
adonis

Post by adonis »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:That said, MY two contributions are now wrong because I used the scene number LOL So John will probably scold me for it... :help:
Actually, I just changed the intro to the correct section number. No scolding. :mrgreen:

I also noticed, I had my file name wrong too...changed and re-uploaded. It's a bit confusing, juggling with three different numbers for each recording. Here are the two re-uploads for JC and Macbeth:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_05_poet.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_09_first_witch_third_apparition.mp3

Gonna change them in the MW as well.

And here is Nurse/Narrator from Romeo and Juliet. John, in the Worksheet you had yourself put down as narrator, in the MW I see my name. Maybe an oversight. I recorded the Narrator, but if you want to do it nevertheless, I don't mind if you delete my part again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_18_nurse_narrator.mp3
Recording time: 1:31 min.

Sonia
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I know it may seem a bit picky but please can we try not to reupload just for filename changes and at least wait until they have been PL'd as there may be other changes needed. Each time we upload the old file is renamed and stored on the server.

There is only a limited amount of space on the server and we need to make sure we don't load it up uneccessarily. The individual files will be edited into the final files anyway so as long as we can identify where they belong it shouldn't be a major problem. As I am one of the editors I am happy to work around this. If necessary and crucial we can ask the MC to change the filenames if that is the only issue,

We only really need to ensure accuracy with filenames on the final files and that will be the editors job.

Thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wib66 wrote:I know it may seem a bit picky but please can we try not to reupload just for filename changes and at least wait until they have been PL'd as there may be other changes needed. Each time we upload the old file is renamed and stored on the server.

There is only a limited amount of space on the server and we need to make sure we don't load it up uneccessarily. The individual files will be edited into the final files anyway so as long as we can identify where they belong it shouldn't be a major problem. As I am one of the editors I am happy to work around this. If necessary and crucial we can ask the MC to change the filenames if that is the only issue,

We only really need to ensure accuracy with filenames on the final files and that will be the editors job.

Thanks
I will be extra careful from now on, sorry. :oops:
Sonia
adonis

Post by adonis »

I trust this is an innocent question; which Romeo and Juliet did you use in Gutenberg Sonia? Because I might as well use the same. It looke like there were five, but I didn't explore them all. It seems to be unique in that respect; popular, I suppose. The other Gutenberg Shakespeares seem to offer an archaic spelling text then a more standardised modern one, usually the second choice down the list. I downloaded the top of the list R and J which was called The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet ahd seemed to have modern spelling but I'm ready to go with any other. A uniform approach is what we're after (though your part was noises off and stage directions, as I recall). No need for you to rush to PL of course. It's just pleasant for me to get started.

Tony.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hi folks!

Please, we all need to use the same text! It is very difficult to get it correct if we use different texts! Please only use the hyperlinks in the MW, which are the same as the Google spreadsheet, I think. If we change a text we need to all change together.

The version John has chosen for Romeo and Juliet is a modern English one - Gutenberg ebook 1531. As noted, there is more than one!

Sonia is right about the LV disclaimer - only the narrator needs to say it, and I think the format needs to be changed so please wait for John to adjust the first post before recording any narrations. The roles just need a voice credit "Juliet read by..."

The files should all be saved by Scene Number - as written in the MW.
adonis

Post by adonis »

This is the real reason I asked the question. I assumed that should be so; but when I left click on the etext link nothing happens; no, something does, a message appears in the bottom left hand corner of the screen describing the text as Gutenberg 1553 or whatever. Does that mean I have to take note of that number and track it down in Gutenberg - by typing the number into Search perhaps? Workshop required.

T.
adonis

Post by adonis »

Right, I've got it. Right click on etext link, Open in New Tab and the text appears (on my screen with Windows Ten) as a link in a new window opening on the top line of my machine, farthest right. So that's alright. And that's the text to use. Got it. Will get it, in R and J's case.

T.
adonis

Post by adonis »

I'm not sure what the naming convention is here, so I'm calling this version (2). What happened is that Audacity was odd and had me lower the volume on this file well below the actual required level - when I checked it again (it sounded so low) it agreed with my ear that the volume should go up 1.9 points. A fair amount, done in this re-upload. I hope that's not going to cause any inconvenience. No other changes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/favouritescenes_13_Iysander(2).mp3

Length: 5:21

Tony
jburlinson

Post by jburlinson »

Kitty wrote: Question about this text: it's written in quite some older spelling, but it is ok to speak it modern right ? It didn't matter much for my poet, but I want to know for when I PL the others later on.

Sonia
Absolutely, let's read it "modern" -- no need to try to approximate archaic spelling. The problem was trying to find gutenberg texts that were both definitively PD and had modern spelling. Sometimes, it wasn't possible. But usually, I could find one. There's a series done by the "PG Shakespeare Team" that generally meets the criteria, but there isn't a PG version of all plays. (I assume PG means project gutenberg and not parental guidance. I'd hate for our texts to have been sanitized. :roll: )

At least, I think the texts all use "s" for "s" and not "f". That's a blessing! :lol:
John Burlinson