[COMPLETE] Evening Incense - phil

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

[quote="philchenevert"quote]
Thank you. I will put this into the Magic Window for proof listening. I have assigned you the next two devotionals, 8 and 9. There is no rush at all since usually we allow two months.[/quote]

Phil,

I actually found a way to gain access to the MW after all; I just have to use Chrome rather than Internet Explorer. I noticed that Chapters 8 and 9 still seem to be open, though you said you assigned them to me. Are they, in fact assigned? Just checking so I don't record them unnecessarily. Thanks!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

bethesdalily wrote:
philchenevert wrote: Thank you. I will put this into the Magic Window for proof listening. I have assigned you the next two devotionals, 8 and 9. There is no rush at all since usually we allow two months.
Phil,

I actually found a way to gain access to the MW after all; I just have to use Chrome rather than Internet Explorer. I noticed that Chapters 8 and 9 still seem to be open, though you said you assigned them to me. Are they, in fact assigned? Just checking so I don't record them unnecessarily. Thanks!
[/quote]
Yes those are definitely are yours. I must have not pushed the right buttons or something. will do it now. :roll:
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Fedarion

Post by Fedarion »

Section 6 is PL OK for content-- for future reference, your trailing silence was a little long, at about 8 seconds instead of 5. The filename is missing an underscore, and I'll leave that to Phil as to whether it needs to be re-uploaded because of that. Section 7 is also PL OK, with the same note regarding the filename.

Sections 8 and 9 OK content-wise, but the volume is too low; they need to be amplified by several dB to reach the target of 89±2 dB. The filenames are correct.

A proof-listener doesn't provide further feedback unless solicited. Since you asked, I do have some tips. First, I think you sound great overall; your pace is good (maybe slow down a tiiiiny bit from your pace in sections 8/9) and you read with interest and emotion. That's 80% of a good recording right there!

On technical stuff, you went a little too heavy-handed on the noise reduction in section 6. It's not bad enough to suggest you redo it, but your breath sounds between words turned into a sort of robotic/metallic sound. There is some debate on this point, but I generally do not aim for 100% silence between words or sentences (see the wiki here for reasoning, section "Noisecleaning"). Whatever you did in section 7 was the best, quality-wise, out of these four sections.

One last tip -- I noticed in at least one section that you had to come back later to re-record a bit. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to record with the same specific "quality of sound" from one session to another -- you may be sitting differently in relation to the mic, there may be more or less background noise, etc. This often results in a paragraph which has two different "sounds" and might be jarring to the reader.

To limit the need for re-recording, try this: assuming you catch the error immediately, do not stop the recording! You can "mark" the error with a loud noise, take a moment to relax, and then re-speak the sentence or paragraph you messed up, then continue. When editing, you just delete the part that was a mistake, along with the marker noise, and the replacement words will already be in place. See the first section of this wiki article for more info, or this wiki article goes over this editing style in depth.

Thanks for contributing!
--Ryan
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Fedarion wrote:Section 6 is PL OK for content-- for future reference, your trailing silence was a little long, at about 8 seconds instead of 5. The filename is missing an underscore, and I'll leave that to Phil as to whether it needs to be re-uploaded because of that. Section 7 is also PL OK, with the same note regarding the filename.

Thanks for contributing!
Section 6 and section 7 do NOT need to be recorded again. I will fix those file names at catalog time. I will mark them PL OK

Say Ryan, you are very good at this DPL job. Where did you get your training? Glad you are on board whatever :thumbs:
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

You're absolutely right--Sections 8 and 9 were far too soft. For some time, I had difficulty determining correct volume levels, but I think I have it in hand now. Please do let me know.
Section 8:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/eveningincense_08_macduff_128kb.mp3
4:23
Section 9:
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/eveningincense_09_macduff_128kb.mp3
4:16

Thank you, too, for the technical and stylistic advice. I deliberately speeded up those later sections, feeling that slow reading was more of a distraction, but I see now that I probably should have kept the original style from Sections 6 and 7. As far as technical quality goes, Section 7 was actually the one with which I did the very least, proving the old maxim that if it isn't broken, I shouldn't try to fix it! Re-recording... guilty as charged. I try to edit mistakes within the same recording session, but I had been re-recording phrases if they slipped by me in the initial edit. I'll work on that... So, thank you for the feedback, and I hope the new uploads are now at acceptable volumes.
Bethesda Lily

"My soul waits for the Lord as watchmen for the morning, as watchmen for the morning" (Psalm 130:6).
Fedarion

Post by Fedarion »

Sections 8 and 9 are now PL OK. One final piece of advice; don't forget to noise-clean the silence at the end along with the rest of the file in your post-processing. :D
--Ryan
bethesdalily

Post by bethesdalily »

Fedarion wrote:Sections 8 and 9 are now PL OK. One final piece of advice; don't forget to noise-clean the silence at the end along with the rest of the file in your post-processing. :D
Thank you! I'll remember to do that in the future.
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

Fedarion--re: Posted:: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:34 am
finally getting back to you about correcting these files. The main problem was that I have started using Linux/Ubuntu after all these years of Windows and foolishly thought the default set up would be okay or I would see the differences right away, so I didn't even know about the variable thing, also apparently the Audacity program for Linux has defaults to Apple! I want to send you one of these recordings to see if my settings are correct now. When that is fixed I will rerecord the one that had hum on it and fix up the others. What should I upload the test file as? I think it will be section 12 (because of other problems on my side with 11)
Michelle
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Mich_elle wrote:Fedarion--re: Posted:: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:34 am
finally getting back to you about correcting these files. The main problem was that I have started using Linux/Ubuntu after all these years of Windows and foolishly thought the default set up would be okay or I would see the differences right away, so I didn't even know about the variable thing, also apparently the Audacity program for Linux has defaults to Apple! I want to send you one of these recordings to see if my settings are correct now. When that is fixed I will rerecord the one that had hum on it and fix up the others. What should I upload the test file as? I think it will be section 12 (because of other problems on my side with 11)
Michelle
Please upload the test recording with the file name of 'test' or something to our usual test site and put the link in this project forum with the note "test file" and explain why it is there so I will remember. I will check it out. Once you have your set up working smoothly, you can takeit from there. Sorry for your problems.
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

thanks Phil, will try to upload tomorrow

I know I've taken a while to get back to this, but hope the tapping isn't only with the front part of one foot!!!

Michelle
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

Phil or Ryan, please check this out per Ryan's comments on Feb 9th to make sure it's okay. I exported it from the mp3, because I think I erased the final aup file.
Thanks,
Michelle

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/eveningincense_12_macduff_128kb.mp3
3m52s
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Mich_elle wrote:Phil or Ryan, please check this out per Ryan's comments on Feb 9th to make sure it's okay. I exported it from the mp3, because I think I erased the final aup file.
Thanks,
Michelle

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/eveningincense_12_macduff_128kb.mp3
3m52s
I will mark this as Ready for PL. OK, Ryan? Let us know what you think.
Mich_elle

Post by Mich_elle »

sections 13 and 15 re-amped
and missing phrase added
will rerecord 14

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/eveningincense_13_macduff_128kb.mp3 3.91 KB
4m10s

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/eveningincense_15_macduff_128kb.mp3 3.58 KB
3m49s

couple things:
I had to estimate the dB using effect/amplify, if it is still off let me know. It has a defaut setting and I shot at a lower amplification based on what you told me about section 15. I can adjust again if needed.

Anyone who can guide me through putting java on firefox so I can download the checker I would be grateful--using linux/ubuntu 12.04 and don't understand the coding.

Also, I abused my headphones and now I can't tell if there is more background noise than I hear thru my speakers.

Michelle