“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” ― Albert Einstein
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

JBrenn wrote:Here is my contribution of Section 12, "The Under-Tone"
Length - 1:51
Link - https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/yesterdays_12_wilcox_128kb.mp3
Hi Joe,

Section 12 is very well read, I think you put the right feeling into your intonation, fitting the text. I was wondering what the fate of the bird was actually and why his singing was so sad.

also: no textual errors ! All perfect. PL ok. :)

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you joe, lazuly and sonia!
Carolin
JBrenn

Post by JBrenn »

Kitty wrote:
JBrenn wrote:Here is my contribution of Section 12, "The Under-Tone"
Length - 1:51
Link - https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/yesterdays_12_wilcox_128kb.mp3
Hi Joe,

Section 12 is very well read, I think you put the right feeling into your intonation, fitting the text. I was wondering what the fate of the bird was actually and why his singing was so sad.

also: no textual errors ! All perfect. PL ok. :)

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia - this might be the nicest compliment I've received for work that I've completed for Librivox. :) I was worried, and expected multiple attempts on the phrase, "The twitter and thrill of a brown-backed bird", but it turned out to be smooth sailing.
“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” ― Socrates
“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” ― Albert Einstein
kflan

Post by kflan »

May I claim the following?

24 - Incomplete
37 - Only a Line

I may claim more once finished with these, but am new here so I would like to only take a couple at first. If chosen I would like to be listed in the catalog as Kathleen Flanary.

Thank-you!
~ kflan ~
cristinadelao

Post by cristinadelao »

Hello, can I record the 101 No Song? (I didn't see taken but I'm not sure).
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you cristina, that section was still open and is now assigned to you :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

kflan wrote:May I claim the following?

24 - Incomplete
37 - Only a Line

I may claim more once finished with these, but am new here so I would like to only take a couple at first. If chosen I would like to be listed in the catalog as Kathleen Flanary.

Thank-you!
hi kathleen, welcome to this project!

you are welcome to read these poems. i have signed you up, your personal catalog page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/10681 :)
Carolin
cristinadelao

Post by cristinadelao »

Thank you, I'll wait for weekend because where I live there are lots of cars, but weekends are quiet.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin
cristinadelao

Post by cristinadelao »

Here is my recording, if there is something I can improve, please tell me. I am not an English native speaker but I want to improve my reading because of that I joined to this project. So, if the audio or accent/speed voice it's bad, I can try to fix it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/nosong101__wilcox_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

cristinadelao wrote:Here is my recording, if there is something I can improve, please tell me. I am not an English native speaker but I want to improve my reading because of that I joined to this project. So, if the audio or accent/speed voice it's bad, I can try to fix it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/nosong101__wilcox_128kb.mp3
Hello Cristina

congratulations to your first recording and welcome to the project. I was just prooflistening to your poem and will give you my feedback now. Don’t get a shock if the following seems like a long list, I just write a lot :lol:

First some technical problems:

> the file is named wrongly, you don’t need to put the name of the poem in there, just the section number, so in this case: yesterdays_101_wilcox_128kb

> your volume is not high enough. We aim for anything between 86 and 92 dB, the average 89 would be optimal. Yours is only at 81.8 dB, so could you amplify it a little bit (around 7 dB maybe)? If you use Audacity, it’s very easy to do it there, there is an “amplify” function, where you simply put in the number required.

> something else you could try at the same time: You have some background noise, and since your reading was so soft, it was not easy to hear. But if you amplify your volume, you will amplify the noise as well. So after the amplification, could you run the noise cleaner as well, please ? There is also a noise cleaning function, a bit further down the amplify function. If you need more help, just ask, we can do a step-by-step.

> at the end (after this poem is in the public domain) you cut off a bit abruptly, after only about 3 seconds. Could you extent the end silence to 5 seconds please ?

Now to your reading proper:

As far as I can hear, you made no serious pronunciation mistakes, the text was correctly read and it was word-perfect. Very well done. :clap:

Since you ask on feedback for your reading, I would only recommend reading a bit slower. This is completely my personal opinion of course, but for me as listener it’s easier to follow a text if it is read at a slower pace. A bit of a pause between the sentences, a breathing break so to speak. There’s no hurry, especially not with poetry. :wink:

And I agree, reading aloud and getting feedback is a great way of improving your English. For that shorter poems are probably better than longer chapters, so you came to the right project. :)

Could you try to make the corrections and reupload your recording under the correct file name, please ? Then I’ll check a second time and will hopefully mark it as ok then.

Thanks
Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you cristina and sonia!
Carolin
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you greg!
Carolin