COMPLETE Woodstock by Sir Walter Scott -rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
nmerrill5419

Post by nmerrill5419 »

I finished section 7, or chapter four, if there are any comments or concerns let me know! Thanks again for letting me read

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/woodstock_07_scott_128kb.mp3
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you, nmerrill5419. Can you post here the duration of your chapter? Would you like to move on with chapter 5?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I have fixed the file-name for section 7. Each project's first post contains the guidelines for naming the files, and it helps with cataloguing, with playing the files in order, etc. :wink:
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I'm in the middle of PL'ing Section 7 :) I can't work on it any more right now, but it should be finished this weekend.
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Aschwen1

Post by Aschwen1 »

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you. What is the duration?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

PL notes for Chapter 4/Section 7:

- The file is in stereo and needs to be in mono, please. To fix that in Audacity just go to Tracks | Stereo track to mono.
- The volume is a bit uneven - the first two minutes or so are all right, but after that it gets quite loud. If you select that part and go to Effects | Amplify and amplify by about -6 it should be good.
- There are some pops and clicks on certain sounds. I don't think they're disturbing enough to be worth re-recording, but in the future maybe move the microphone a bit farther from your mouth or put a sock over it and see if that changes anything.
- There are a lot of places where it sounds like the recording overlaps a bit over the part before. If you open up your original recording, can you see it overlapping? If not, you'll probably need to re-record those bits. (Since there are so many, you might need to redo the whole recording, but first we would need to find out what's causing it so it doesn't happen again. Did you make edits to these parts? Stop recording and then start again?) If you can see the tracks overlapping and can fix it (ask me for help if you can't figure out how to do it, I'm not quite sure but I might be able to find out :)) please try that. I've listed the time stamps below, along with the other notes:
- overlap @ 1:49
- overlap @ 2:29
- overlap @ 3:22
- overlap @ 4:04
- overlap @ 5:42
- long pause @ 6:30 (maybe shorten that a bit?)
- repeat @ 6:34 as if der...desirous (cut out the first part)
- mixed up-sentence or something @ 7:07 amongst all which you have so often done of good and kind (I'm not sure exactly what's wrong, try re-recording the sentence and pasting it in.)
- repeat and word switch @ 7:23 I meant not to im...to intimate, (cut out the first bit. The word should also be "but" instead of "not", so you might need to redo the whole sentence.)
- overlap @ 7:42
- repeat @ 8:01 for as...as for
- overlap @ 9:03
- overlap @ 10:42
- overlap @ 11:52
- overlap @ 12:50
- overlap @ 13:24
- repeat @ 14:09 unlike...unlikely to ensue
- overlap @ 14:23
- overlap @ 15:08
- overlap @ 17:23
- overlap @ 18:31
- overlap @ 18:49
- overlap @ 19:40
- overlap @ 20:30
- At the end, you need to say "End of Chapter 4" then leave the mic running for five seconds. :)

That's it! I know it seems like a lot, but I promise that the more you do it the less fixes you have to make :D And most of these are those strange overlaps, so if we figure out what's causing that the list will decrease dramatically! ;)
And please, just ask us if you have any questions. We're happy to help!
Rachel :D
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Aschwen1 wrote: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/woodstock_appendixno2_scott_.mp3

here is the recording of my chapter

I have renamed this to https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/woodstock_02_scott_128kb.mp3 to follow the correct format.
Please use this link to download for PL. :)
scottatbc

Post by scottatbc »

Hi Rapunzalina,

I've just uploaded a test recording:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/test_scottatbc.mp3

I'd like to try Section 10 (Chapter 7) to start as it is short and this is my first recording. There's a bio from my job here:

http://www.bc.edu/offices/cte/about/people/scott-kinder.html

Do most people create a web page that's more specific to voice work?

Thanks!
Scott
Last edited by scottatbc on July 2nd, 2016, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello
Scott,
welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here. Chapter 7 is all yours. Please let me know under which name you would like to be credeted in the catalogue. In addition, please submit your test recording in the listeners and eddetors wanted section of the forum so that more people would have a chance to listen and give feedback. As for your question, not at all. If you have a url which you would like to link to your name, please do so. If not, leave it at that. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Have fun,
Stav.
scottatbc

Post by scottatbc »

miss stav wrote:Hello
Scott,
welcome to Librivox. I hope you will enjoy here. Chapter 7 is all yours. Please let me know under which name you would like to be credeted in the catalogue. In addition, please submit your test recording in the listeners and eddetors wanted section of the forum so that more people would have a chance to listen and give feedback. As for your question, not at all. If you have a url which you would like to link to your name, please do so. If not, leave it at that. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Have fun,
Stav.
Thanks Miss Stav!

I've posted the Test Recording to Listeners and Editors.

Please use Scott Kinder for the credit in the catalog and this:
http://www.bc.edu/offices/cte/about/people/scott-kinder.html

for the page to link to.

Very exciting!
Scott
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hello Scott! Welcome to Librivox and to this book project!

You are now in the Readers Database: https://librivox.org/reader/10979 Your page shows all projects you're involved with, so it might look a bit empty now, but if you enjoy recording it will soon fill up!

I had a listen to your test; the volume is a bit on the low side. For your future recordings try to increase the input volume of your microphone if possible (either from the microphone slider in Audacity or from your system's control panel for sounds and microphones). Just a little. But if the sliders are already maxed up, then the next solution for soft volume is amplification after recording. A visual hint in Audacity for volume within desired range is when the waveform peaks above the 0.5 mark, but not all the way up:

You have a very pleasant voice, and I'll be looking forward to listening to your recordings! :clap:
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

PL notes for Section 2/Appendix No. II:

First of all, let me say you have a lovely voice and a nice reading style :D Good job! I've got a few things for you to fix - it looks like a lot, but most of these are simply mistakes that can be easily cut out, without you're having to re-record them.

- The file is in stereo and needs to be in mono. In Audacity, go to Tracks | Stereo track to mono, which will fix that for you.
- The file is much too quiet. That's also an easy fix - select the file, go to Effects | Amplify, and amplify by about 6 db.
- At the beginning, you need the Librivox disclaimer. That should be "Appendix Number 2 of Woodstock, or, The Cavalier . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
optional -- "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Then say "Woodstock, or, The Cavalier , by Sir Walter Scott . Appendix Number 2."
- You have some stumbles and repeats which should be easy to cut out. I would suggest starting at the bottom of the list and working your way up - that way the time stamps will all stay the same.
- Repeat @ 3:59 "with all his posterity"
- Stumble @ 5:28, the word should be "continuances" (con-tin-you-ince-es)
- Stumble/repeat @ 6:56 over "penman"
- @ 9:58 you have a long pause with some clicks in it, that should be shortened
- Stumble @ 15:24 on "coverlets"
- Stumble @ 16:11 on "dashed"
- Stumble @ 24:49 on "conjured...conjectured" (the second one is right)
- Repeat @ 28:51 "where they...where some of them" (the second one is correct)
- Some stumbles @ 30:31 at "he forthwith rode..."
- Repeat @ 35:34 "where is the mouth church...mother church" (second one is correct)
- at the end, the word is "shewed" which I think is pronounced "showed", right now it sounds like "shrewed"
- at the very end you need to say "End of Appendix No. II" and leave ten seconds of silence

Please make these edits, re-upload the file with its' new name (woodstock_02_scott_128kb.mp3) and post in this thread. If there's anything you don't understand or need help with, don't be afraid to ask!

Thanks a lot!
Rachel :D
Rachel

plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

for fun, I've been looking around in these older project threads for things to read-- can I claim the Preface here?
I'll probably claim some more in this book, too, but we'll see how the one section goes first.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure, plaidsicle. The preface is all yours. Have fun.