[COMPLETE] Discovery & Exploration of the Mississippi Valley-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It shouldn't be that much longer. Did you read that exceptionally long footnote that talked about the character of the Illiniois? That was to be omitted, since I made it a separate section in the project (it was long enough for its own section).

EDIT: Well, you were right! I must have really miscalculated the words in that section. Either that, or I meant to divide that into two but forgot to do so. :oops: Sorry for such a long section!

The only edit to make: there's no LibriVox intro at the start of the recording.

"Section [9] of Discovery and Exploration of the Mississippi Valley. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Discovery and Exploration of the Mississippi Valley, by John Gilmary Shea. [Pt 2 Voyages and Discoveries of Father James Marquette]"
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

> The only edit to make: there's no LibriVox intro at the start of the recording.

Rookie mistake :oops:

Fixed that and also replaced the echo-filled "end of section 9" at the end:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/mississippivalley_09_shea_128kb.mp3 53:23

--Kurt
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you! PL OK. :)
Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

Hi,

I'd like to read section 15. Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome! I'll pencil you in for 15. Please do post a 1-minute test and get your technical settings checked before starting in on this recording. :) A link is in your Welcome email. Ask if you have questions.

How would you like to be credited in the catalog? There are places for a catalog name (some use a nickname or forum name, some their real name) and a link to a personal web site or blog, if you have one. I recommend using whatever name you say (if any) when you say, "recorded by [your name]" as that's how listeners will look for you. (Keep in mind that prospective employers, classmates, enemies, etc. can also find you using the catalog name, so be cautious if privacy might be an issue.)
Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

Hi! I'd like to appear as Davida George for all of my librivox stuff. Is it ok to start recording?
Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

1 minute test submitted correctly I think. Thanks! Hope I can get started today!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're inked in now. :)

Please wait to start recording until you get an OK on the test. It wouldn't make sense to record when the test is unchecked; there may be problems with your recording that would mean having to re-record whatever you recorded here. :)
Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

Ok, thanks! How do I find out if I've been cleared?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've just posted in your test thread. Basically, you know you've been cleared when someone tells you so in your test thread. :)
Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

Divamomarv

Post by Divamomarv »

Hi Tricia,

I was enjoying reading and continue accidentally into the next section which is unclaimed. I have the file saved. May I claim it so that I can not lose the work?

Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you, and yes - 16 is yours. I had someone do the same thing in another project not that long ago. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 15: Good reading. Lots to fix, but it's mostly adding footnote vocal tags.

It works best to start at the end and work your way forward. That way the time stamps for the edits don't change as you add audio. :)

0:18 - need to say "Discovery and Exploration of the Mississippi Valley, by John Gilmary Shea." before the section title.

5:22 - after "early history of America" - need an "end footnote"

6:51 - after "of the new establishment." - please add "footnote"

7:33 - after "father Joseph Denis" - need "end footnote"

8:40 - "In the time of M. de Courcelles and Talon" repeated immediately afterward with a correction. Please delete the first one.

11:43 - after "gospel preached to them" - please add "footnote"

12:54 - after "there before Hennepin?" - please add "end footnote"

13:37 - after "Gulf of California" - please add "footnote"

15:45 - after "was granted. P. 14" - please add "end footnote"

Please add 5 seconds of silence to the end after "end of section 15."

- Volume needs to come up 18 dB. (You will need to do this in a couple steps because spikes prevent your amplifying that much all at once.
Amplify by 13 dB; then use the compressor with settings of -18, -40, 3:1 0.10, 1.0; then amplify again by 6 dB.)

- Bit rate is wrong; it's 192kbps and needs to be 128kbps. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, change the Bit Rate mode to Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.
pmchaffie

Post by pmchaffie »

Trish - feel kind of sheepish coming back into this project. my recuperation from shoulder surgery was more involved than i had planned so dropped out of sight for a time. i see that 17 is open - may i do this section? :wink:
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)