COMPLETE Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope - Maryann

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene,

We had a marvellous time - but when I got back, I found my recording was ghosting. It took me some time to resolve it - but I have done so now and re-recorded Chgapter 39 (a better reading too, so all was not wasted!)

Here it is https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_39_trollope_128kb.mp3

24:20.4

We have now booked our holiday in America, and are due to arrive in Seattle by train on Sunday morning 1st October, flying out again on Wednesday 4th. I do hope we can see you during that window..

All the best

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 40 - I hope I have done justice to it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_40_trollope_128kb.mp3 28:23.5

Enjoy

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Yea! Good to have you back!

As you plan your time in Seattle, let me know what/when you'd like to do. I'm pretty sure I can get the time off work. October is not anybody's typical vacation time, and I have a lot of vacation hours left to use up this year. I don't usually manage to use them all.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I've marked Chapter 39 PL OK. I don't know what kind of problems you were having with echoes, but the sound quality now is really, really good. No hollowness, no echoes. It sounds like you're standing right next to me. And the voices were great! I'm glad you got to re-record it. Should be able to do Chapter 40 tomorrow.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene,

Audacity was reproducing each phrase in a whisper in advance of the phrase being sounded out properly, and this was then also interfering with the phrase proper. A friend suggested that there might be some disparate elements of Audacity lying around on the hard disc, interfering with the main copy, and recommended I get a copy of Iobit Uninstaller (free) and uninstall Audacity completely before reinstalling it. Before I did that I exported the recordings into MP3 format, so I wouldn't lose them.
After reinstalling Audacity, it was no longer ghosting when I made a new recording, but the MP3 versions when re-imported did the same as before; so I had to rercord chapters 39 and 40.

With the new installation of Audacity, the problem has gone away, thank goodness.

Here is Chapter 41: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_41_trollope_128kb.mp3 22:24.5.

Are there any particular sights we shouldn't miss in Seattle? (apart fro where Betty MacDonald lived, which we must see).

All the best

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I'll have to think on what you should see. It's likely to be rainy at that time of year. I do hope you get to see the one thing I would absolutely recommend, but neither you nor I have much choice about that. If the weather is good, the mountain will be "out" and you will see it. But that's traditionally a wet time of year. Mount Rainier isn't the tallest mountain in the States, but it is the most impressive, standing like a huge ice cream scoop above the surrounding terrain. The other thing I would recommend is the view from the ferries, but you will take a ferry to go to Vashon, so you've already got that covered.

Chapter 40 was wonderful! Thank you! Marked PL OK.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi

Here is Chapter 42.

I trie to upload it yesterday, but couldn't connect to the Uploader; presumably there was a problem which has now been resolved.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_42_trollope_128kb.mp3 36:13.5

All the best

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene,

Here is Chapter 43.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_43_trollope_128kb.mp3 36:53.6

Enjoy.

Regards

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Thanks, Nick! I'm sorry, it appears I didn't post anything when I proof-listened chapter 41. It was great, as was chapter 42.

Chapter 43 has a deviation from the printed copy, although maybe you determined that the printed copy has an error. At 21:00, the phrase "pray make no apology" is repeated in the text, but not in the audio.

So glad your trip here was not this past week. The smoke from the fires in British Columbia is worse than we've ever seen. None of our beautiful scenery is visible, nor are the city skylines. The weather should turn later this week, and we'll get the ocean air in, as we do for most of the year.
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene,

Thanks for picking up that error. I must have blanked out the second phrase while editing. Fortunately I keep an unedited copy, even if (as on this occasion) I only have one edited version, so I have been able to reinsert the original recorded phrase. I have uploaded it again, so it should now be ok. Hope so anyway.

Smoke from forest fires sounds horrendous; I hope the fires haven't threatened to burn Seattle. Maybe there is benefit from coming at the beginning of the rainy season!

All the best

Nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Chapter 44 for you to enjoy.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_44_trollope_128kb.mp3 23:47.1

Have a lovely weekend.

Regards

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

I did indeed enjoy chapter 44, and have marked it and chapter 43 PL OK. I see we only have 10 chapters left. I will be sorry to finish this one!
Arlene
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene

Here is Chapter 45.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_45_trollope_128kb.mp3 26:10.1

I hope you have had a good weekend. We went to see our granddaughter in Northampton yesterday, which was lovely. She is 3 and a half - and the world has to revolve around her!

Regards

nick
NKWhitley

Post by NKWhitley »

Hi Arlene

Here is Chapter 46. Another delicious one in my opinion.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/barchestertowers_46_trollope_128kb.mp3 24:02.8
Enjoy

I have been unable to copy the link into the Magic Window, so I have typed it in. I hope I have not mistyped it. I do not understand why I could not copy and oaste ???!!!

Best wishes

Nick
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Chapters 45 and 46 are PL OK. I agree -- Chapter 46 was delicious! And the link was fine, as I was able to download the file from it.
Arlene