COMPLETE Family Happiness by Leo Tolstoy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Evan,

I'm going to move this thread over to the "going solo" board. Once you get a section or two uploaded, we can advertise for a PLer (if no one has stepped up by then).

MaryAnn
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: I'm going to move this thread over to the "going solo" board. Once you get a section or two uploaded, we can advertise for a PLer (if no one has stepped up by then).
Sounds good. I've uploaded Part 1, Ch 1 and placed into the magic window (hopefully correctly). Duration is 13:28
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Looks good Evan.

Now that you have a section up, you can advertise for a DPL over on the listeners' wanted forum. Instructions on how to do this (and a template for the post) are here: viewtopic.php?p=318668#p318668

MaryAnn
carteki

Post by carteki »

EvanJ wrote:I couldn't find an answer on the Wiki or elsewhere - can I ask for a word-perfect proof listen just because? Or is that reserved for special texts? And, am I likely to have anyone volunteer for that or is it hard to find them?
Hi there,

I'm happy to be a word-perfect proof listener. I also point out excessive gaps which result in phrasing issues. Some people find me too strict, but I'd rather point out "improvements" (which I note as such) so that the final product is good. Currently attempting to edit a badly PL'd dramatic read. Missing lines and the reader hasn't been seen on the site since April :(

Let me know if that works.

Kim
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

carteki wrote: Hi there,

I'm happy to be a word-perfect proof listener. I also point out excessive gaps which result in phrasing issues. Some people find me too strict, but I'd rather point out "improvements" (which I note as such) so that the final product is good. Currently attempting to edit a badly PL'd dramatic read. Missing lines and the reader hasn't been seen on the site since April :(

Let me know if that works.

Kim
Hi Kim,
Many thanks for offering - it must be a time intensive task! I had been thinking about it, however, and I've actually gone a bit cold on the idea of a WPL. Realistically I would not have time to do too many edits and I may start to resent the process :shock:
Thank you again though
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Kim - are you interested in doing a standard PL on this project? That was a bit unclear to me from your post.

Thank you Dave - but can I just be sure that Kim is not interested before we sign you up?

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I've had a PM from Kim that she is interested in DPLing at whatever level the reader wants . . . she offered to do a word perfect DPL because there was an interest expressed in that.

So since she was the first to post an interest, I'll put her in as DPL.

Thanks for your kind offer Dave!

MaryAnn
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Have fun everyone!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Fantastic, thanks Kim!
I've just realised that I said "Doyle" instead of "Dole" in my opening description in ch1. Not sure how to update the file yet but I'll wait until PL is complete before editing it.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

HA! :P

I am so glad that I'm not the only one . . . somehow after I have just said "Tolstoy", it's hard to say Dole as "Dole", it just wants to come out Doyle! I think a careful listener would find it is Doyle on about half of my intros . . . :oops:

MaryAnn
carteki

Post by carteki »

Ch1 - PL-OK

You've a nice voice and I'm going to enjoy listening to you Eric. I've marked it as "PL-OK" as there isn't anything below that is critical, it's more feedback and you can change it if you wish as well as remember for other recordings.
Intro - "Doyle" instead of "Dole"
6"56 - missing phrase: cover on the samovar, "she looked at him" and almost burst into tears. About 3/4 way down page 5

13"20 - a slightly longer break is needed between the end of the chapter and the phrase "end of chapter" (correct in Ch2)

From about 1m to 7"30 the volume level is 91.7db and I can hear the "s's". After that the volume drops a little bit to 89db and the "ss's" disappear. If you look at the condensed waveform graph you can see that the amplitude (height) is much higher than later on.

Ch2 - PL OK
6"53 - slightly too long a gap between paragraphs (3/4 way down pg 15)
15"09 - ditto (start 2nd para pg 18)
17"10 - ditto (start 3rd para pg 22)
17"24 - long break between sentences
17"59 - long break between sentences
18"45 - long break between sentences
19"35 - long break between sentences

11"13 - "necessary" should be "UNnecessary" (1/2 down p18)

The flow of this chapter is very staccato with breaks between sentences and phrases. I've pointed out some of the big one's, but I think that this has come from the editing. When I edit out an unwanted phrase I move the cursor back to the last word of the previous phrase and listen to the flow, adding or deleting space as necessary so that it sounds correct. There are quite a few more unfortunately.

Your volume is on the loud side - 91.4db, but more consistent. Possibly look at decreasing the input level of your mic by a little bit to avoid the "ss's" coming through at normal listening volume. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3#Volume
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Thank you Kim.

I have fixed the omissions errors you mentioned for section 1, and icnreased the break. I have also loosely (I think) improved the volume between the first and second halves.

I'll get back to you on chapter 2 but I can hear the pauses you are talking about. I felt that I had removed too many in ch1 so actually added some in ch2, but I overdid it. I also got too close to the mic and this resulted in popped plosives and /s/. I repaired the plosives as best I could using the wiki instructions.
I'll reupload later on to try to address the pauses. Thanks
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Ch2 pauses now hopefully corrected.
Evan
carteki

Post by carteki »

EvanJ wrote:Thank you Kim.

I have fixed the omissions errors you mentioned for section 1, and icnreased the break. I have also loosely (I think) improved the volume between the first and second halves.

I'll get back to you on chapter 2 but I can hear the pauses you are talking about. I felt that I had removed too many in ch1 so actually added some in ch2, but I overdid it. I also got too close to the mic and this resulted in popped plosives and /s/. I repaired the plosives as best I could using the wiki instructions.
I'll reupload later on to try to address the pauses. Thanks
Ch 1: 7"17 for 8sec volume is 93.3db

Otherwise all good and I can hear the difference.

Are you happy with the level of my PL'ing?