COMPLETE Family Happiness by Leo Tolstoy-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Family Happiness by Leo Tolstoy (1828 - 1910). Translated by Nathan Haskell Dole (1852 - 1935)
( )
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/family-happiness-by-leo-tolstoy/
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101017735448
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

START of recording (Intro):
    • "Part [number] Chapter [number] of Family Happiness. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Family Happiness, by Leo Tolstoy. Translated by Nathan Haskell Dole. Part [number] Chapter [number]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Part [number] Chapter [number] of Family Happiness. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Part [number] Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Family Happiness by Leo Tolstoy. Translated by Nathan Haskell Dole"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename familyhappiness_##_tolstoy_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. familyhappiness_01_tolstoy_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by EvanJ on November 2nd, 2015, 3:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Clearly, I've made a mess of the title. And I'm not sure where to find a Public domain summary of the story.
But I am keen to do this!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Can you find a clearly PD version of the text. Like on Project Guternberg . Or a scanned copy that shows the publication date on the scan ?

Any other site is PD because someone said it was - which often turns out not to be true for the text shown :(

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Would CCEL or Adelaide University be OK? They both have it:

https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/t/tolstoy/leo/t65f/complete.html

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/tolstoy/family.i.html

The second one has the publication date of 1859 on it.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

annise wrote:Can you find a clearly PD version of the text. Like on Project Guternberg . Or a scanned copy that shows the publication date on the scan ?

Any other site is PD because someone said it was - which often turns out not to be true for the text shown :(

Anne
Thanks Elizabby!

Sorry Annise, I misread the wiki. If Adelaide University is not sufficient, I've tracked down an earlier translation with scanned copy here: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101017735448;view=1up;seq=8
Will this be sufficient, and should I create a new project template or can we alter the original?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The second one has the publication date of 1859 on it.
Well the publication date can't be the translation. Aylmer Maude (1858-1938) and Louise Maude (1855-1939) would have had to be very clever babies. The date may be when it was published in Russian . Translations attract their own copyright so we need a scan with the date on it as part of the scan or for Project Guternberg to have vetted it

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

EvanJ wrote: Sorry Annise, I misread the wiki. If Adelaide University is not sufficient, I've tracked down an earlier translation with scanned copy here: http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101017735448;view=1up;seq=8
Will this be sufficient, and should I create a new project template or can we alter the original?
That looks good - You can edit the first post via the edit button top righthand and change the text link and the translator where you can
When you get an MC make sure they know to change the database.

Anne

added - and you will need to change the into and outro too
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I couldn't find an answer on the Wiki or elsewhere - can I ask for a word-perfect proof listen just because? Or is that reserved for special texts? And, am I likely to have anyone volunteer for that or is it hard to find them?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

You can ask for a WP PL for any project - but those are often harder to find. I don't like doing it myself, and I'm not convinced it adds anything to most prose. The difference between "those" and "these" means a lot of editing and usually the sound match isn't quite perfect so it ends up sounding choppy.

But you can always ask! ;)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Evan,
I can MC this for you. I would suggest asking for standard PL on this one - many more available PLers and as Beth points out, correcting things like "Tom said" to "said Tom" don't add much to prose.

I'll get things set up and be back with some instructions.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Evan,

Your Magic Window is ready.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. I've started you off with an idea on how I would handle the section titles for a book like this. There is no one "right" way, so if you would like to approach it differently, that's fine.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is quite a learning curve when you do your first solo. You've picked a nice size book - not too long and something that you are interested in, so it should be a manageable and enjoyable process for you.

MaryAnn
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hello Maryanne,

Thanks for MCing. I see you have read a lot of Tolstoy, some of them also translated by Dole.
I'll stick with standard Proof Listening; I can see Beth's point about the details.

Are you able to change the database for this record if you haven't already? As you might have read, the translation I originally planned to use was not available. Finally, are you able to double-check my intros and outros? I edited them manually.

Thanks!

Evan
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Evan,

I have updated the source in the database.

For your intro/outros, Tolstoy uses Parts and Chapters. I generally introduce the sections as "part 1 chapter 1", "part 1 chapter 2" because just saying the chapter doesn't help the listener find their place when they hit the second "chapter 1".

Otherwise, it looks good.

MaryAnn
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I have recorded part 1, chapter 1 and edited it. With regards to naming the file, the format is:
familyhappiness_##_tolstoy_128kb

As there will be Part 1 Chapter 1 and Part 2 Chapter 1, what naming format should I use?

Perhaps familyhappiness_1.1_tolstoy_128kb ?

Thanks
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Evan,
The ## in the file name matches the section number in the MW. If you have 10 or more sections, the section numbers need to be two digits (so "1" in the MW becomes "01" in the file name). You have only 9 sections, so you could use one digit section numbers in the file names. The thing is to get an alpha sort of the file names puts the files in order.
MaryAnn