[COMPLETE] The Fourth Dimension - Hinton - RuthieG

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Peter,
Great job and thank you for changing l to "light". It was easier to understand. Well, consider "understanding" to be relative. :hmm:

PL notes:
0:21 - p190 - missing text – We have seen that the pink face moved in a yellow direction traces out a cube; moved in the blue direction it also traces out a cube.

2:47 (feel free to ignore). The pause between “designated by” and “4” seemed long.

5:27-5:37 repeat of sentence starting at 5:16 – We have seen that a plane and a point determine a space, and that three point determine a plane; so four points will determine a space.

15:38 - p199 – stumble/repeat – Thus looking at the successive lines in the section plane as it and the cube passed across his plane he would determine the figure cut out bit by bit.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny;

All corrections made, and section 23 uploaded again. I've given the new time for each:

0.20-0.25 - p190 - missing text – We have seen that the pink face moved in a yellow direction traces out a cube; moved in the blue direction it also traces out a cube.

2:51 The pause between “designated by” and “4” seemed long.

5:19 repeat of sentence starting at 5:16 – We have seen that a plane and a point determine a space, and that three point determine a plane; so four points will determine a space.

15:28 – stumble/repeat – Thus looking at the successive lines in the section plane as it and the cube passed across his plane he would determine the figure cut out bit by bit.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
linny

Post by linny »

Nicely edited. Spot check PL OK!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny.

Section 24 uploaded.

There's a typo at around 2.37 "... in which the kinds of motion leads them ... " corrected to "lead them" .... text page 302 near end of second paragraph

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Hello Peter,
Congratulations on getting to the last chapter!

0:38 - The date in the footnote should be 1903. You read 1908.
I did a bit of hunting and there is another version of the text on Archive with a much cleaner image. https://archive.org/details/fourthdimension00hint

14:05 repeat - "so A prime C prime"

22:41 (optional) - Discussing the possibility of the hereditary production of characteristics through the material structure of the ovum, he estimate that in ti there exists 12,000,000,000 biophors, or ultimate particles of living matter, a sufficient number to account for hereditary transmission, and observes:...
Shouldn't this be pronounced as 12 billion? While 12 “thousand million” is correct, I believe “billion” is more customary.

(Section 25 begins on page 216, Rotation round a plane is exactly analogous to rotation round an axis in three dimensions.)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny; appendices still to do!

I'll leave the twelve thousand million as it is, if I may, as it's fairly clear, but twelve billion means a different thing in the U.S.A. and in the U.K.

I'll get the edits done in a couple of hours' time.
Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Edited section 24 uploaded.
Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Spot check PL OK!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you, linny.
Section 25 uploaded.

PDF230/text 216 From start of 3rd paragraph to end of chapter

There's a typo just after 18.34. In the second paragraph on page 225 "... it will turn the whole mass of spheres round in a systematic manner" has been corrected from "mass of sphere" (singular sphere).

I don't know how long the appendices are going to be; I've not yet dared to check.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Ava, I accidentally started to upload a section of londonlabour_22_mayhew_128kb, instead of my fourth dimension section, into Ruthie's folder. I cancelled the upload after a few seconds, but the débris may still be there. Could you delete it for me if it is, please?

Thanks, Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

linny, I hadn't realised that you were reading Ulysses as a solo when I said that I preferred this to Ulysses! ( viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58599&p=1368901&hilit=Ulysses#p1368901 )

My comment was pure coincidence. I was looking in the Listeners Wanted thread a minute ago and saw that you've taken this on. I do hope you enjoy reading it.

I apologise if I seemed to be pointing at you and your reading. I had read a part in a play from the book some time ago, and wasn't impressed with Joyce. I do know that he is felt to be a genius by many readers. I'm very uneducated in literature (as a couple of my friends have pointed out to me) .... and, as proof, was bored silly when I tried to read another genius-book, A Hundred Years of Solitude.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on August 5th, 2017, 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
linny

Post by linny »

Peter, please don't be concerned. I'm not reading it. I PLed a bit for a reader. It was then that I discovered the style is not for me. I suppose writing styles for me need to be pretty straight forward. I just don't want to work hard enough to appreciate Joyce.

Section 25 has one tiny pl note.
Page 222 11:10 – Now, in fig. 14 let the zw rotation take place, the z axis will turn toward the point w of the w axis, and the point p will move in a circle about the point x.
Read as towards

I have to ask…did you know that a fourteen-sided figure was called a tetrakaidecagon?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

linny, thanks for the PL.

Joyce is obviously an acquired taste, then .... and, from an obviously biased viewpoint, the general enthusiasm for him feels like a case of The Emperor's New Clothes.

I think I'll leave that error as it is; I don't think it's worth the effort of me uploading and of you downloading the file. Thanks for catching it, though.

I have to admit that I did know "tetrakaidecagon", though I don't know the names of all these multi-sided figures and solids. I have a background in the sciences and had years, long ago, of reading Martin Gardner's Mathematical Puzzles column in the Scientific American.

EDIT: I just checked, and I don't know as many as I thought. I've bracketed the ones I didn't know (although I recognised enneagon, I didn't know what it was): 3 triangle; 4 quadrilateral; 5 pentagon; 6 hexagon; 7 heptagon; 8 octagon; [9 enneagon]; 10 decagon; [11 hendecagon]; 12 dodecagon; 13 triskaidecagon; 14 tetrakaidecagon; [15 pentadecagon]]; [16 hexadecagon]; [17 heptadecagon]; [18 octadecagon]; [19 enneadecagon]; [20 icosagon]. I should have been able to guess the icosagon, as I used to play FRPGs with icosahedral dice.

That "kai" in 13, 14, 15 seems to be optional, and can be used in the 16-19, too.

Peter
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm sorry about the long break; I've uploaded section 26, the first half of Appendix One.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

First half of appendix 1 is PL OK! Well done. :clap:

(Second half begins p.237, Our Representation of a Block of Tesseracts.)