[COMPLETE] The Fourth Dimension - Hinton - RuthieG

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Availle; I hope Ruth's problems aren't too severe. I had wondered why I hadn't heard from her. I was starting to think that she'd got bored with this nearly incomprehensible book but was too embarrassed to back out!

There's no urgency for the proof-listening. I'd be happy for it to drift until much later in the book. I'm part way through editing the next chapter, but it's going slowly because I'm having to re-read quite a bit so the emphasis carries the author's meaning a bit better. He loves long and complex sentences.

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on August 1st, 2016, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
linny

Post by linny »

I'd like to try PLing chapter 3 before I commit as DPL. I have anniversary related PL duties to take care of but can get to this in the afternoon.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny, you're welcome to have a go at it.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

PL notes for chapter 3:
3:16 near the bottom of p16. Since the dimensions of the matter in his world are small in the third direction, the phenomena in which he would detect the motion would be those of the small particles of matter.
Read as dimension

4:23 p17 A current round these secondary rings would give two varieties of effect…
Read a current flowing round

7:44 bottom of p17 In this connection I will allude to the simple way…
Read as collection

8:26 p19 …bodies of any appreciable size in four-dimensional space…
Read as fourth
linny

Post by linny »

PL notes for Chapter 4, part 1:
1:20:38 background noise behind your breath so most can be cut out. The same noise repeats a number of times during the first 2 minutes; e.g. 1:43:56. Maybe instead of cutting them you can use it as a noise profile to reduce.

9:49 p27 bottom 1/3. In all great things the being of the film shares in the existence of his higher self as it is at any one time.
Read as: In all the great things the…

16:08 p30 Hence, if we wish to measure the area of any square we can take the number of points it encloses, count these as one each, and take one-fourth of the number of points at its corners.
Read as count those

May I skip these type of notes that have no impact on the material?

Great job on the readers notes. :thumbs:

[Note for myself: Section 5 should begin on p32 “What is that which amid a thousand forms is ever the same, which we can recognise under all its vicissitudes, of which the diverse phenomena are the appearances?”]
Last edited by linny on July 29th, 2016, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny,

I'm happy with that level of proof-reading that's sort of intermediate between "standard" and "word-perfect". I don't want to miss any lines (which might not be spotted in a standard PL), but little errors which don't seem to change the meaning don't need to be changed.

Whatever makes your job easier.

I do think that for some books reader's notes are essential. Flatland, too, would have been incomprehensible without reader's notes, and in my last solo (on chemical assaying methods), the book had quite a lot of illustrations of equipment. I did try to describe most of these as clearly as I could.

Thanks,

Peter.
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Peter,
I agree that following the text is essential to the PL on this text. If it had not been marked as Word Perfect I would not have included the following notes:
Chapter 3 - 4:23
Chapter 4, part 1 - 9:49, and 16:08.
If these would have been acceptable to exclude then I would be pleased to take over as DPL.

The project is a challenging DPL since I either have to retype each issue or follow along in two versions of the text; one to see the figures clearly and another that I can copy from. Gutenberg is so much easier. [sigh] If these non impact notes can be eliminated it becomes slightly less time consuming.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Yes, it's hard work proof listening .... especially when you've got to judge how well I've handled the illustrations!

I've uploaded the corrected section 3. I've made all your changes but the first ("dimensions"), as I think I can hear an "s" at the end.

For some reason, I can't get into the MW to change the status of that section to "ready for spot PL". I'll try again later.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Peter Why wrote:Yes, it's hard work proof listening .... especially when you've got to judge how well I've handled the illustrations!

I've uploaded the corrected section 3. I've made all your changes but the first ("dimensions"), as I think I can hear an "s" at the end.

For some reason, I can't get into the MW to change the status of that section to "ready for spot PL". I'll try again later.

Peter
Please double check the text. You say dimension twice but the sentence call for a dimension and a direction. :wink:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, linny, I see what you mean. I've just installed Windows 10 and am still having problems; I lost the bolding for the word "direction" when I copied your PL notes.

Uploading again shortly.
Peter
linny

Post by linny »

No worries. I'll try underlining next time and hopefully that will stick when you copy over.

I haven't had the courage to upgrade to 10 yet. I am not looking forward to when I finally won't have the choice. :roll:
linny

Post by linny »

:help: :help: :help:
Hi Ava,
I'll DPL for Peter. When you have a moment please grant me access to the MW. Also please remember to remove the sticky from the listeners wanted post, and the ~ from the topic header. (As if you didn't know all this :roll: )
Thank you!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you very much, linny.

I've uploaded the corrected section 3, and I've got into the MW and changed the file's status.

It's going to be slow work on the coming sections; I have to do a lot of re-reading when I'm editing.

Windows 10 is even more opaque to the user than previous incarnations. That wouldn't matter if the system worked perfectly, but it definitely doesn't. I wish that Microsoft gave its users a lot more control over the default behaviour of the various applications.

Peter
linny

Post by linny »

Hi Peter,
Chapter 3 is now PL ok. Chapter 4 can be toggled to "see PL notes".

A slower project sounds perfect. That way I won't feel rushed to PL to the level you need for this work. Yesterday, for some reason, I had multiple recordings I needed to read along with. It can become a bit taxing. Nice to know I can take a day between posts on this project. Thank you.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The speed on here is becoming taxing for the stand-in MC as well... :lol:

You have access now linny, both the tilde and the post in Listeners Wanted have disappeared. Have fun you two! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com