[Complete] Miscellanea Curiosa Vol 1 by E Halley - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20717
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 23rd, 2016, 9:42 am

msfry wrote:I can claim 23 and 25 to help complete this project, if you'll give me a few weeks to get them done. Or, I can just take 25 and leave the longer file for another reader.
Thank you. This project has been knocking around for a year now, so a few extra weeks won't hurt 8-)
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 14 sections remaining
Memoirs of Distinguished Men of Science 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 11 sections remaining

msfry
Posts: 7125
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » October 25th, 2016, 7:20 am

Recording 25 on calculating the parabolic trajectory of a cannon ball, I need some help with how to read these m's:

"we are to take 1⁄m thereof, that is 1⁄mm of the impressed Force. And for a third Moment (at equal distance of time) 1⁄mmm; for a fourth 1⁄m4; and so onward infinitely."
and
the Lines of Motion (answering to those equal Times) are to be as 1⁄m, 1⁄m2, 1⁄m3, 1⁄m4,

Also

V + V⁄R + V⁄RR + V⁄R3 + &c. = VR/ R - 1
do I say "V over R", or "V divided by R"?

Thanks.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20717
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » October 25th, 2016, 8:17 am

msfry wrote:Recording 25 on calculating the parabolic trajectory of a cannon ball, I need some help with how to read these m's:

"we are to take 1⁄m thereof, that is 1⁄mm of the impressed Force. And for a third Moment (at equal distance of time) 1⁄mmm; for a fourth 1⁄m4; and so onward infinitely."
and
the Lines of Motion (answering to those equal Times) are to be as 1⁄m, 1⁄m2, 1⁄m3, 1⁄m4,

Also

V + V⁄R + V⁄RR + V⁄R3 + &c. = VR/ R - 1
do I say "V over R", or "V divided by R"?

Thanks.
I'm sorry, I can't help... it's all gobbledygook to me :shock:
If there is no standard way of expressing them, whatever you're comfortable with. But someone with more scientific knowledge might know... Tricia? Ava?
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 14 sections remaining
Memoirs of Distinguished Men of Science 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 11 sections remaining

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 47450
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » October 25th, 2016, 8:22 am

I'd say either one - "V over R" or "V divided by R".

"are to be as 1⁄m, 1⁄m2, 1⁄m3, 1⁄m4" - these are, of course, m squared, m cubed, and m to the fourth, respectively. I'd read them as "1 over m..." but either way works.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18319
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » October 25th, 2016, 8:22 am

It's another way of writing squares, cubes, etc.

So:
we are to take 1 over m thereof, that is 1 over m squared of the impressed Force. And for a third Moment (at equal distance of time) 1 over m cubed ; for a fourth 1 over m to the power of 4; and so onward infinitely."
and
the Lines of Motion (answering to those equal Times) are to be as 1 over m, 1 over m squared, 1 over m cubed, 1 over m to the power of 4,
same below:
V + V⁄R + V⁄RR + V⁄R3 + &c. = VR/ R - 1
V plus V over R plus V over R squared plus V over R cubed plus etc. is equal to V times R over R minus one.

"over" is better than "divided" when you are dealing with letters rather than numbers, especially when the letters come in squares or other functions.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

msfry
Posts: 7125
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » October 25th, 2016, 8:29 am

Okay, I've got this one. Not sure what else I may run into but I know you've got my back! Thanks. I'll give it my best shot.
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18319
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » November 5th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Here is chapter 19/section 21, with a runtime of 22:49
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_21_halley_128kb.mp3

To be honest, I have seldom read anything where I did not have a clue what was going on... :shock: (And that includes cold readings of dramatic roles)
At least, I have now learned what a syzygy is - should I ever need that again.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

msfry
Posts: 7125
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » November 5th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Please return sections 23 and 25 to the pool. For the first time ever, I am going to relinquish my sections because I cannot do them justice. I cannot even begin to do them justice. Someone with considerable mathematical/scientific understanding may be required to read these sections with any fluidity but I cannot pull it off. I am sorry. Bravo to Availle for plowing through. Good going, girl. :clap:
Michele Fry, CC
"There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away, Nor any coursers like a page of prancing poetry." ~ Emily Dickinson

Love Stories #3

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20717
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » November 5th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Availle wrote:Here is chapter 19/section 21, with a runtime of 22:49
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_21_halley_128kb.mp3

To be honest, I have seldom read anything where I did not have a clue what was going on... :shock: (And that includes cold readings of dramatic roles)
At least, I have now learned what a syzygy is - should I ever need that again.
Thank you. So, what is it, enquiring minds want to know ? :hmm:
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 14 sections remaining
Memoirs of Distinguished Men of Science 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 11 sections remaining

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20717
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » November 5th, 2016, 10:40 pm

msfry wrote:Please return sections 23 and 25 to the pool. For the first time ever, I am going to relinquish my sections because I cannot do them justice. I cannot even begin to do them justice. Someone with considerable mathematical/scientific understanding may be required to read these sections with any fluidity but I cannot pull it off. I am sorry. Bravo to Availle for plowing through. Good going, girl. :clap:
No shame there, Michele - I couldn't even attempt them :roll:
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 14 sections remaining
Memoirs of Distinguished Men of Science 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 11 sections remaining

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18319
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » November 5th, 2016, 10:50 pm

Lynnet wrote:
Availle wrote: At least, I have now learned what a syzygy is - should I ever need that again.
Thank you. So, what is it, enquiring minds want to know ? :hmm:
Three celestial bodies arranged in a line.
Examples: full moon and new moon.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20717
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » November 5th, 2016, 10:51 pm

Availle wrote:
Lynnet wrote:
Availle wrote: At least, I have now learned what a syzygy is - should I ever need that again.
Thank you. So, what is it, enquiring minds want to know ? :hmm:
Three celestial bodies arranged in a line.
Examples: full moon and new moon.
I'll try and work it into dinner table conversation :roll:
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 14 sections remaining
Memoirs of Distinguished Men of Science 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 11 sections remaining

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 47450
Joined: June 15th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Location: Toronto, ON (but Minnesotan to age 32)

Post by TriciaG » November 6th, 2016, 6:11 am

I'll take 25 for now. Perhaps I'll grab the other, but I don't want to overcommit.
Mystery/PulpFic: Dope, by Sax Rohmer
The one that started them all: Self-Help, by Samuel Smiles
Elizabethan Poetry: The Psalmes of David

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 20717
Joined: September 16th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Location: In the desert

Post by Lynnet » November 6th, 2016, 6:39 am

TriciaG wrote:I'll take 25 for now. Perhaps I'll grab the other, but I don't want to overcommit.
Thank you, Tricia.
Help us finish:

Charles the Bold by Ruth Putnam 14 sections remaining
Memoirs of Distinguished Men of Science 10 sections remaining
King Mombo 11 sections remaining

mzmolly65
Posts: 284
Joined: June 11th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest USA

Post by mzmolly65 » November 6th, 2016, 8:38 am

I'm interested in tackling Chapter 23 *gulps*

I have a math expert on speed dial who has answered some of my questions and I will trust her word regarding what she thinks the symbols mean.
Last edited by mzmolly65 on November 6th, 2016, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply