[Complete] Miscellanea Curiosa Vol 1 by E Halley - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Creydon wrote:Any chance I could claim Section 1: "An Estimate of the Quantity of the Vapours Raised out of the Sea Derived from Experiment"?
Hi Creydon and welcome to Librivox!
I can certainly reserve that chapter for you.
I see you have submitted a one minute test. I strongly recommend you wait to have that cleared before proceeding - sometimes a minor tweak makes all the difference.
You would also need to be entered into our catalog of readers. I can do that for you but I need to know how you wish to appear. Most of us use our real names but you can use your forum name or a pseudonym if you prefer. We can also link to a personal (non-commercial)blog or website if you have one.
Readers can choose to read any sections they wish, but I would caution that this work may not be the easiest for a first project (old language, long and technical) - if you read through and find it a bit of a challenge, you could select something more straightforward and come back to this. You get 2 months from the date of your claim to submit you file (longer if you discuss it with your book coordinator - me in this case). Or you may find it a breeze 8-)
The main thing is to have fun.
Lynne
Creydon

Post by Creydon »

The test has been cleared, so that's one hurdle down. I'm willing to use my real name for the project. I've had a read through of this section and it seems to be somewhat straight forward, not to mention fascinating (it was what convinced me to sign up as a reader.) Might have a bit of a challenge with all the commas, but somehow, I think I can, in a fashion, work it through.

I do have a question regarding reading. In cases of words like "Shew'd", would we pronounce it as "Shew'd", "Showed", or "Shown"? Or for '"Viz.", are we to pronounce it "Viz", "Vee", "Videliket", "Namely", "To wit", or "That is to say"?
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Creydon wrote:The test has been cleared, so that's one hurdle down. I'm willing to use my real name for the project. I've had a read through of this section and it seems to be somewhat straight forward, not to mention fascinating (it was what convinced me to sign up as a reader.) Might have a bit of a challenge with all the commas, but somehow, I think I can, in a fashion, work it through.

I do have a question regarding reading. In cases of words like "Shew'd", would we pronounce it as "Shew'd", "Showed", or "Shown"? Or for '"Viz.", are we to pronounce it "Viz", "Vee", "Videliket", "Namely", "To wit", or "That is to say"?
Ok... So your real name... Creydon?
In general, there's quite a bit of reader discretion on pronunciation. I would read those as "showed" and "that is" but it's your choice. The only caveat would be in some selections (probably not here...) we see 'non p.c.' words or terms crop up, which we have to read as written even if we consider them offensive (or leave those selections to someone else)
Creydon

Post by Creydon »

Alrighty. Forgot to post my name. It's Joshua Dunn.

Thank you for the reading guide. Definitely useful. I shall proceed with recording.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Creydon wrote:Alrighty. Forgot to post my name. It's Joshua Dunn.

Thank you for the reading guide. Definitely useful. I shall proceed with recording.
Ok, Joshua, you are in the catalog. You'll see the change in the magic window. If you click on your name, it will take you to your own personal catalog page, which is handy for keeping track of claims and also when Great Aunt Agatha asks to listen to you...
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Section 16 is ready for PL.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Lynnet wrote:Section 16 is ready for PL.
Section 16 is PL OK! :clap:
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

And here, Kristin, is Chapter 3

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_03_halley_128kb.mp3

M:S
27:24

Best,

Barbara
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

barbara2 wrote:And here, Kristin, is Chapter 3

Best,

Barbara
Thank you, Barbara.
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Lynnet wrote:
SonOfTheExiles wrote:Is that a portrait of Halley nestled within the first image? Or is it Newton? The long-haired dude with the crazy threads.

I never realised these eminent 18th Century scientists were so NOW!

SOTE
Looking at the portraits on Wikipedia, I'd say neither... Halley's hair was straighter and Newton's nose was more prominent, his features more angular. I'm wondering if it was James II though.
I couldn't find a portrait of James II without the Stuart haughteur, drooping features and melancholy. But that was a good guess as the clobber looked too flashy for a scientist. Monarchs were the patrons of the Royal Society he was wearing a chain of office. At the time of publication (1704) the monarch was Queen Anne, of course, and the mild-mannered, aimiable-looking chap in the frontispiece matches the portraits of her consort - Prince George of Denmark, of whom Charles II said:
"I have tried him drunk, and I have tried him sober and there is nothing in him".

So definitely no scientist.

Isn't the internet great?

Best,

Barbara
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

barbara2 wrote:And here, Kristin, is Chapter 3

Best,

Barbara
I've listened to this and from a reading standpoint there are no issues. It was a little quiet, so I'll check it on my laptop tonight on the checker (I don't have checker on the device I'm using currently) to confirm the volume before marking it PL Ok.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Volume is fine, Chapter 3 is PL Ok!

ETA: the file had been linked in Section 5's spot in the MW, so I moved it and the time to Section 3 where it belongs. :)
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Kristin,

Here is Chapter 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/misccuriosa_v1_04_halley_128kb.mp3
37:19

Best,

Barbara

This page already timed out twice while I was sending this so I hope I'm not repeating myself. I could express my outrage at the emasculation of our proposed National Broadband Network but that would be political comment. So I didn't.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

barbara2 wrote:Kristin,

Here is Chapter 4:

Best,

Barbara

This page already timed out twice while I was sending this so I hope I'm not repeating myself. I could express my outrage at the emasculation of our proposed National Broadband Network but that would be political comment. So I didn't.
Thank you, Barbara. I'll try to put this one in its right slot :roll:
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

barbara2 wrote:Kristin,

Here is Chapter 4:

Best,

Barbara

Chapter 4 is PL OK!