COMPLETECoffee Break Collection 012-The Performing Arts-mary

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Veggrower

Post by Veggrower »

Thanks, Kathrine :)

Garth
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Whoops! Sorry about that; MW fixed. Thanks again for DPLing for us!
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

All the recordings are PL OK:
Strawberry Leaves, The Dying Gag, Stage Costumes and Machine for noting down music! :D Thank you for nice renderings :thumbs:
Kathrine
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/coffeebreak012_americanstage_hutton_128kb.mp3
Time is 6:51

"The Local New York Drama" from Curiosities of the American Stage by Laurence Hutton
www.gutenberg.org/ebook39617

BettyB
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

BettyB, thanks so much for your reading!! MW is updated! MaryAnn, it looks like author Laurence Hutton isn't in the database yet; would you mind adding? Thanks!
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

LibriFoxy wrote:MaryAnn, it looks like author Laurence Hutton isn't in the database yet; would you mind adding? Thanks!
Added.
MaryAnn
averagea

Post by averagea »

Hello! I just signed up for the forum. The idea of doing something about the early age of film intrigued me so I did some googling and I think I found something I would like to do, but I'm not sure if it's public domain?

https://silentology.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/he-really-can-smile-a-charming-1921-buster-keaton-interview/

The interview itself is public domain, but the person who transcribed it copied it from someplace in the nineties (a zine called Taylorology), but that place says it must be freely distributed? Nothing about copyright.

Any help for this newbie would be appreciated. :roll:
monnibo

Post by monnibo »

I'm interested but not sure about turn-around time. How long do I have to find something suitable and record it? I've been a Librivox member for a while, but never participated (too shy).
~Monica (aka monnibo)
Blog | Twitter
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Hi, averagea! Many warm welcomes to LibriVox (hopefully a fulfilling and addictive new part of your life, as it has been for many of us!)

The general rule for public domain in the US for unpublished works is author's death + 70 years, which would be accurate for Emma-Lindsay Squier, who died in 1941. However, Picture-Play Magazine was a published periodical with this article appearing in a 1921 edition. That looks good to me, though I'd like to hear from the MC for final confirmation. Also, if this is your first submission, please first submit a test recording, which will direct you to instructions on confirming your recording setup specs and includes the "Newbie Guide" link. Please let us know when it's up, and I can help offer feedback!

monnibo, thanks for your interest! Glad to hear the Coffee Break Collection has sparked your interest to record :) For these short works collections (such as this, the short stories, sci fi collection, poetry, etc.) you post when you have already recorded, edited, and uploaded a piece. This is unlike the section-reading for longer pieces, where you sign up for a section and then have 2 months to submit your recording. So if this is a collection you're interested in, I estimate that you'd have another few months before the rest of the 20 spots get filled! Please let me know if you'd like any resources for recording setups, ideas of pieces to read, or links to becoming a reader. Thanks for your interest!
Rosie in Boston

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

re: https://silentology.wordpress.com/2014/11/30/he-really-can-smile-a-charming-1921-buster-keaton-interview/
LibriFoxy wrote:The general rule for public domain in the US for unpublished works is author's death + 70 years, which would be accurate for Emma-Lindsay Squier, who died in 1941. However, Picture-Play Magazine was a published periodical with this article appearing in a 1921 edition. That looks good to me, though I'd like to hear from the MC for final confirmation.
Material published before 1923 is public domain in the US. BUT . . . bloggers can say anything, and it may or not be true. So we need to get back to the source where this interview was published in 1921. Is there a scan of the the article in Picture-Play Magazine that you can read from? That way we can verify that it was actually published in 1921 and that you are recording the text as published in 1921.

MaryAnn
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

Good point! averagea, a librarian might be the best source of a scan. Otherwise, there are lots of great finds on Gutenberg! Meanwhile, go ahead and get your test recording going, and then you'll be ready to go.
Rosie in Boston

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

The Local New York Drama is PL OK! Good job :thumbs:
Kathrine
VfkaBT

Post by VfkaBT »

The Colored Opera Company by James M Trotter 14:59 (intro)
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/coffeebreak012_coloredoperacompany_trotter_128kb.mp3
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28056
Music and Some Highly Musical People by James M. Trotter 1842-1892
This was a chapter in this book that went on and on with repetitive period newspaper reviews. The first part, 8 minutes worth, is about the beauty of opera, followed (finally) by a description of the opera company and its' first performances. I included 2 1/2 clippings; any more would have exceeded the set time limit. :!:
My previous LV work: Bellona Times
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Your section is PL OK, Matt :clap:
Kathrine