COMPLETE My Friend Annabel Lee by Mary MacLane -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Yes sir & madame! Very gracious. Already fixed (*crossing fingers, knocking on wood*) section one, which is now 6:45 and will work on the next.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/myfriendannabellee_01_maclane.mp3
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Morlock

Post by Morlock »

afutterer

Post by afutterer »

silverquill wrote:
Morlock wrote:Okie dokie, Chapter One is complete at 06:41

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/myfriendannabellee_01_maclane.mp3
What a treat it is going to be listening to this! Fascinating premise so far, and i love your rendition!

There are just a couple of technical things to take care of before you go further with this project.

1). The volume is too low at only 82.9 dB. The LV target is 89 dB with a couple dB either side. You should be able to use the amplify function in Audacity to correct this, or something similar if you use another program.

2). Then you missed the "outro" -- End of Chapter One.

3). Each section should have LESS than one second of silence at the beginning (yours is just slightly over), and it should have a full FIVE seconds of silence at the end (yours is less than one second).

Section two is fine, except that the ending silence is 7 seconds, so needs 2 seconds cut.

Section three is totally fine - PL OKl

I've marked the first sections as See PL Notes. Just change this to Ready for Spot PL when you've uploaded the corrected files, and post a note here.

All in all --- off to a great start!
silverquill...I am new here. I am doing some PL stuff myself and just happened to see your post here. How are you listening to the files? I cannot see where you can tell what the decibal levels are. Thanks.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

larry isnt online anymore these days, but i can tell you. as a proof listener, it would be great if you could download the checker (link in my sig), which is a program a volunteer has written specifically for librivox. you can download it and run librivox recordings through it, and it will tell you if all technical settings are right and where the volume is. does that help?
Carolin
gibhere2

Post by gibhere2 »

Chapter 4 ~ PL Notes

All is good except the volume ~ 84.0 dB ~ Volume fall below range
Kind Regards!
CJ

My Librivox Contributions
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you for jumping in, cj!
Carolin
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Hey thanks, CJ!

Well, I'm confused, I keep trying to increase the volume on these tracks and amplify just doesn't want to raise any higher, I don't know why. (It's that thing in audacity. You try to increase and it fades to where the button is no longer one you can press.)

So does this mean that 1, 2, & 4 are still too low or just 4? I re-did the others.

Carolin, can I have an extension to August for projected finishing goal? (I was going to say May but then I'm worried about more snags coming up.)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

the deadline is just an estimation made at the beginning of the project, there are absolutely no consequences attached. i would only like you to post in the thread about once every month even if you didnt record, just to let us know what is happening. and if you didnt send in a new file in one year, i will open the project as a group project. but that only happens every now and then :)

audacity sets the amplification limit to the maximum level it can achieve without clipping. if it would raise the volume higher, the waveforms would get damaged and your sound would be broken. so if you need to increase the volume more than you can amplify, try the leveller, which increases only the volume of the softer bits, so it doesnt cause clipping :)
we have a bunch of tutorials here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_Tutorials
oh, and make sure there is a check mark at view > show clipping. that way, audacity marks clipped waves in red, so you are warned if you get too loud :)

you can also download the checker (link is in my sig) and check the volume of your recordings yourself.
Carolin
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

Carolin wrote:the deadline is just an estimation made at the beginning of the project, there are absolutely no consequences attached. i would only like you to post in the thread about once every month even if you didnt record, just to let us know what is happening. and if you didnt send in a new file in one year, i will open the project as a group project. but that only happens every now and then :)

audacity sets the amplification limit to the maximum level it can achieve without clipping. if it would raise the volume higher, the waveforms would get damaged and your sound would be broken. so if you need to increase the volume more than you can amplify, try the leveller, which increases only the volume of the softer bits, so it doesnt cause clipping :)
we have a bunch of tutorials here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_Tutorials
oh, and make sure there is a check mark at view > show clipping. that way, audacity marks clipped waves in red, so you are warned if you get too loud :)

you can also download the checker (link is in my sig) and check the volume of your recordings yourself.
Thanks, Carolin. I thought so. I just like to have dates altered if I can't make up the difference, but if it's no big deal as long as I stick to one post per month I can do that.

I used the leveler and amplified so I figured it would upgrade to the desired volume. I have no idea if what I altered in the previous tracks are being checked. (Kind of makes me want to pick a second book just to make sure I have something to do if this one is being neglected.)

As long as I'm interactive with something I'm content.
gibhere2

Post by gibhere2 »

Sections 5 & 6 are 84.6dB & 85.6dB and need to be 86-92dB.

Sections 7 & 8 are PL OK!! :thumbs:

As Carolin said.... assuming your recording software is Audacity: try using the "leveler" effect on the low dB files and see if you can bring them in range that way to avoid clipping.

And Checker 0.96 is a very useful tool for checking that all specs are in order before uploading the file. http://www.cgjennings.ca/checker/

*****************************************************************************************
I was just browsing the unanswered forums and came across the request for someone to PL. I probably should have announced myself and claimed a section but alas, I just jumped in. I have a couple of other projects that I am way behind on so I don't feel like I can totally commit to a dedicated PL spot but I will keep an eye on new submissions and help if I can. It seems to be easier to find time to PL these days than it is to find time to record.
Kind Regards!
CJ

My Librivox Contributions
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you cj, every little bit helps :thumbs:
Carolin
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

I realize you have nothing to PL at this time, but I can DPL for this project if you want. I am doing quite a few others, but I am caught up on all of them.
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

that would be so helpful, thank you :clap:
Carolin
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

Excellent! Thanks.
Anthony