[COMPLETE] Myths and Legends of Alaska by Judson - avail

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill » September 21st, 2015, 12:51 am

Myths and Legends of Alaska by Katharine Berry Judson (1866 - 1929).

This project is now complete. All files can be found on the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/myths-and-legends-of-alaska-by-katharine-berry-judson/

Editor Katharine Berry Judson collates and presents a narrative history of Alaskan Myths. Originally gathered and recorded by government ethnologists, she paints an overall picture of Alaskan history as told by its many tribes. From the Eskimo to the Tlingit, from the Tsetsaut to the Haida, the origin of the still-wild state begins with the great Bird (often called "Raven") and branches out, through its legends, in wonderful and amazing directions ( John N. Daily)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47146
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      Genres for the project: Sagas

Keywords that describe the book: Alaska, folklore, Eskimo, Yukon, raven, tsetsaut, tlingit, tsimshian, athapascan, koryak

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Chapter [number] of Myths and Legends of Alaska. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        " Myths and Legends of Alaska, by Katharine Berry Judson. [Chapter]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of Myths and Legends of Alaska, by Katharine Berry Judson. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      mythsofalaska_##_judson_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. mythsofalaska_01_judson_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle - availle
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

SPECIAL NOTE: Where the tribal names appear in the titles of the stories it is important to include them. Here are links to most of those names, except one which has the phonetic spelling to help. Please take the time to check out the correct pronunciations. This is one of the things we will check.

Here is a short video about the Tlingit. Note the pronunciation with an initial “k” sound.
I am Tlingit
Tsimshian
Athapascan
Haida
Koryak
Tsetsaut /ts'ɘts'aut/

Any questions?
Please post below
Last edited by silverquill on October 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » September 21st, 2015, 12:59 am

Okay, Ava, I hope I've set this up correctly. I found a date of death for the author under her maiden name on Ancestry.com. I changed the file name to the shortened version that was used on the original project.

I will PM you on the word counts and we can decide what to use for an intro. They range from 67 words to 3782 (for section 1) as they are set up, with most of them in the 100-250 word range, a few higher and a few lower.
~ Larry

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » September 21st, 2015, 4:55 am

See my pm on the issue with the intro.

Here are the old PL notes for section 2, in case you wish to keep it:
Section 2: PL-Notes: A bit of noise in the background in general, paper rustling (?) Is that a train (?) I hear at 3:18-3:26? Please consider re-recording, thanks.
And then, in the same post, it was mentioned that
Tlingit has indeed 2 accepted pronunciations: /ˈtlɪŋɡɪt/ or-and /ˈklɪŋˌgɪt/.
Irrespective of your choice, I'd suggest you keep only one, (for consistency reasons).
It might be good to check if you can find pronunciations of the other tribes' names, and put them in the first post somewhere - for consistency reasons. But that's your call really.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

silverquill

Post by silverquill » September 21st, 2015, 7:45 am

Thanks for setting this up, Ava!

I will fill in the word counts later today.

DPL would be welcomed!

I'll see what I can find out about the pronunciations for the tribes.
~ Larry

SkellyVal

Post by SkellyVal » September 23rd, 2015, 8:13 pm

Hi! I would like to take sections 0 (Preface), 1 (The Raven Myth), 4 (How the Rivers were Formed), 7, (Raven's Feast), 9 (How Raven Taught the Chilkats), and 10 (Raven's Marriage)

SkellyVal

silverquill

Post by silverquill » September 24th, 2015, 9:30 am

SkellyVal wrote:Hi! I would like to take sections 0 (Preface), 1 (The Raven Myth), 4 (How the Rivers were Formed), 7, (Raven's Feast), 9 (How Raven Taught the Chilkats), and 10 (Raven's Marriage)

SkellyVal
Thanks for joining this project. It started out as a solo, and we are converting it to a collaborative reading.

I will sign you up for all of the sections above except for the preface which I'm taking. You will have a key role in laying the foundation by reading the long Raven Myth, so I appreciate that very much.

I am putting together, as best I can, a pronunciation guide for some of the names found in the volume. Some of them just aren't pronounced as one might expect. Tlingit, for example has an initial sound closer to a "k." I found a great U-Tube vide of a Tlingit person talking about his heritage.

So, if you would hold off until I can get that up, I think that would be best, unless you are absolutely sure about the pronunciations.

Thanks again for coming on board!
~ Larry

maggietravers

Post by maggietravers » September 25th, 2015, 7:29 am

Would love to DPL this :)
~Maggie

...striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman

silverquill

Post by silverquill » September 25th, 2015, 7:41 am

maggietravers wrote:Would love to DPL this :)
Yippee!

Ava will be along to put you in the MW.

BTW, I'm going to put together a pronunciation guide, as best I can, so that will help you and the readers with some of the tribal names.

Thanks so much, Maggie :9:
~ Larry

Verngzr

Post by Verngzr » September 29th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Howdy!

I'd like 12 thru 22 please

Vern

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 » September 29th, 2015, 1:18 pm

Hi Silverquill,
Please may I have the Killer Whale sections 25, 36, and 60?
-Amy :)

silverquill

Post by silverquill » September 29th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Verngzr wrote:Howdy!

I'd like 12 thru 22 please

Vern
They are yours to record and enjoy.

I will try my best to get the pronunciation guide up this evening, so be sure to check it before recording. And, don't forget to give the file length when you post your sections.

Thanks so much!
~ Larry

silverquill

Post by silverquill » September 29th, 2015, 1:37 pm

alg1001 wrote:Hi Silverquill,
Please may I have the Killer Whale sections 25, 36, and 60?
-Amy :)
Hey, great to have you!
The killer whales are all yours.

I should have the pronunciation guide up this evening.
~ Larry

Verngzr

Post by Verngzr » September 29th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Who's the MC for this project?

I see "yy-yyyy" where the MC's name should be.

I'm going to assume it's Ava.

here's my first chapter:https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/mythsofalaska_12_judson_128.mp3 it's 1m:22s

Vern

Verngzr

Post by Verngzr » September 30th, 2015, 5:22 am

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » September 30th, 2015, 6:01 am

Yes it's me, sorry, I forgot to enter my name in the spot... it's there now. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com