COMPLETE: Doctor Syn by Russell Thorndike -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
linny

Post by linny »

Hi John,
It’s great to have you back. Thank you for the extra help. :D
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

So glad to see this resurrected! May I have 7, 22 & 23, please?
linny

Post by linny »

PaleWriter wrote: August 29th, 2018, 12:59 am So glad to see this resurrected! May I have 7, 22 & 23, please?
Hello, PaleWriter,
While you have been a member of LV for a long time, I don’t see that you have actually recorded for us. I do suggest the 1 minute test prior to recording to ensure your technical settings are correct. I will also need a name for the catalog.
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

Pale Writer works fine. My audio editing tools and expertise could salvage much of the noise that other folks (without them) get away with posting here. I used to run a radio station and have done audio forensic work on nationally known criminal cases. My biggest challenge will be to get my birds to keep quiet while I'm recording. I'll send you chapter 7 when I finish, and you can determine where to file it.

Sorry - got an appointment for my busted up hand (one reason I'll have a little time to do this)

jm
linny

Post by linny »

Here is your catalog page. https://librivox.org/reader/12730

The test is just to ensure all of your settings are correct.
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

Voici - ch 7 of Dr Syn - 15:55 long:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/doctorsyn_07_thorndike_128kb.mp3

(tried a new mic to see if I could record on my phone - quality wasn't up to snuff, so I rerecorded it - hope it's acceptable, beginner though I may be)

other 2 are recorded but not yet edited

jm
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

7 PL OK.

Nice read.
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

Thanks, Craig.

Standing joke around my household is that whenever I read it tends to put everyone else to SLEEP!

Stands to reason that I should read children's stories, I suppose.

jm
linny

Post by linny »

jm,
I'm sorry but your section isn't PL OK. The sample rate needs to be 44.1 kHz or 14.100Hz. Do you know how to change this setting?
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Hi Linny and Dave

Chapter 25@ 22:23

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/doctorsyn_25_thorndyke_128kb.mp3

john

Expecting 5-6" of rain this weekend. Hope we are not washed away!
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, John. Stay safe and when nobody is looking go jump in a shallow puddle. It’s fun no matter the age. :mrgreen:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

25 PL OK.
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you, Dave :thumbs:
PaleWriter

Post by PaleWriter »

Hello Linny

You mean I have a CHOICE? Between 44.1 kHz and 14.1 Hz? Color me dubious, if not confused! Perhaps I didn't spend enough time trying to find THE DEFINITIVE SPEC when it came time to present my upload. In my experience it hasn't even been clear whether recordings are stereo or mono, but I'm very certain that NONE have a sampling rate of 14.1 Hz!

I recorded and edited in uncompressed 44.1 kHz, 16 bit Windows PCM WAV, which is "standard CD quality," far better than is necessary for simple voice recordings. When it came time to compress to MP3, though, I couldn't help but notice the common (although not STRICTLY unanimous) file NAMING convention of *_128k.mp3." Not only did that seem illogical to me for a sampling rate, my Audition software won't go there! So I resorted to Audacity, which seemed to comply - or so I thought.

Bottom line is: I certainly still have the uncompressed, unadulterated WAV, so if I could be directed to a DEFINITIVE, clear spec I'd be HAPPY to remix and re-U/L - if there are no other (ie reading blunders, stutters, mispronunciations, etc) concerns needing attention.

I apologize for my cranial density.

jm
linny

Post by linny »

jm,
44.1kHz = 44,100Hz. That is the sample rate we require.

The sample rate for your file is 48,000Hz. In Audacity I believe it’s a drop down option during export.

All other settings and the reading itself were correct.

FYI:
Summary of tech specs
Channel: Mono
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Sample format: 16 bit
Export bitrate: 128 kbps

There is a lot of information given in the Newbe Guide and in the information for doing the preliminary test. I pulled the above summary of tech specs from that part of our wiki so you have it as a reference.