[COMPLETE] Queen Sheba's Ring by H. Rider Haggard -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Anfinwen

Post by Anfinwen »

Queen Sheba's Ring by H. Rider Haggard (1856 - 1925).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here: https://librivox.org/queen-shebas-ring-by-h-rider-haggard/[/color]
A famed archeologist, an aging doctor, and a young army engineer set out across the African desert on a great adventure. Professor Higgs is in search of new archeological discoveries, Dr. Adams seeks to rescue his kidnapped son, and Captain Orme wants to forget an unhappy love affair. Maqueda, Daughter of Kings, ruler of the Abati, enlists their aid to destroy the sacred idol of a neighboring tribe with promises to help the doctor rescue his son. However, the idol is a second great sphinx, carved out of a mountain. In their quest they can expect little help from the weak and cowardly Abati. The road is fraught with danger, wild beasts, valiant enemies, and traitorous allies, but their greatest danger is a beautiful woman whom it is death to love.
( Anfinwen)

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2602
    5. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: ZWEyeLG6

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (H. Rider Haggard) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Rider_Haggard

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Sheba's_Ring
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 20
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known): 1910
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction; Fictional Biographies & Memoirs; Romance; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: adventure, solomon, africa, sphinx, sheba

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    Note: Readers may ignore footnotes but if they add information of interest, may be included at the end of the sentence in the form of "Footnote... end footnote"
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Queen Sheba's Ring. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Queen Sheba's Ring, by H. Rider Haggard. [Chapter]"
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Queen Sheba's Ring, by H. Rider Haggard. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename queenshebasring_##_haggard_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. queenshebasring_01_haggard_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage. Otherwise you are making their destiny not brighter but darker."
-C.S. Lewis
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

I would love to DPL, if you need someone! :D
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Anfinwen

Post by Anfinwen »

That would be wonderful, thank you very much!
I'm hoping start recording next week, however it could take a while to finish due to my job.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage. Otherwise you are making their destiny not brighter but darker."
-C.S. Lewis
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll MC this for you - I'll be back soon with the MW

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ok you have your window. As soloist you need to look after it. Here's some instructions , just ask if/when you get stuck . Rachel or I are usually around :D

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ/edit

Once you can get into the MW you need to fill in the title field - I posted the first 2 for you so you knew where they go. It will be a steep learning curve for you if you have only done dramatic parts - but we all were newbies once and are willing to try and answer questions.

Anne
Anfinwen

Post by Anfinwen »

annise wrote:It will be a steep learning curve for you if you have only done dramatic parts - but we all were newbies once and are willing to try and answer questions.Anne
Thank you so much! I know it will be quite a project, but I'm excited to try (even if I never do a solo again :D ).
-C.S. Lewis
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

So far so good :D . The window looks great. We don't have time limits on solos, we just like to hear from you every couple of months. Have fun

Anne
Anfinwen

Post by Anfinwen »

Just to be sure, my next step is to start recording and post the links both in the thread and in the magic window? At what point does the topic need to be moved to a different board?
Thank you again!
-C.S. Lewis
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I move it. I usually leave it a couple of days - people like to know what is happening and not everyone drops by daily but there is no fixed timetable. It doesn't make any difference to the project where it is really when its a Solo

Anne
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Anfinwen wrote:Just to be sure, my next step is to start recording and post the links both in the thread and in the magic window?
Right! Make sure to post them in the Magic Window, but it doesn't matter whether you post them in the thread or not since technically I'm supposed to PL from the MW :D
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Many PLers like you to post in the thread - just something like "section 10 posted" . No need for link in Solos - and if Rachel is happy without that is fine by me

Anne
Sometime what I do need is who wrote the summary . So I know it is PD
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

annise wrote:Many PLers like you to post in the thread - just something like "section 10 posted" . No need for link in Solos - and if Rachel is happy without that is fine by me
Yeah, sorry if it sounded like I didn't mean that. If you post a note in the thread (you don't have to include the link unless you want to) then I'll see it sooner and hopefully get to it faster :D

I am looking forward to listening to this book! I have this gigantic catalogue of books and things that I like to go through with a highlighter and highlight the books that look interesting, and this was one of the books I had highlighted so I was excited to see it here :)
Rachel

Anfinwen

Post by Anfinwen »

Here is Chapter 1!

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/queenshebasring01haggard.mp3

time: 35min

This was really almost a test run, so if something is really off I can re-record it. I tried to keep from talking straight into the mic, but there are still a few pops. I have a soft voice and was afraid it wouldn't be loud enough, but next time I'll move back. :D
I'm hoping to do Chapter 2 tomorrow, but it might not be feasible.
-C.S. Lewis
Anfinwen

Post by Anfinwen »

-C.S. Lewis
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Yay! I am not able to PL until next week, but I am really looking forward to it :D. Could you put the durations in the notes field of the MW? We need that to make sure the whole thing uploaded properly.
Rachel