Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you both!
Carolin
dwthor01

Post by dwthor01 »

Hello,

Horace section 39: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/odes_39_horace_128kb.mp3 03:45sec.

Have a nice day,

Douglas
douglasthornton.blogspot.com
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dwthor01 wrote:Hello,
Horace section 39: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/odes_39_horace_128kb.mp3 03:45sec.
Have a nice day,
Douglas
Hi again !

you've been quick at another recording session I see :) And getting better at the technical stuff. All specs ok.

Nice reading yet again, and word-perfect too. I especially like the insisting pathos in the line: "nay, what sea Has Daunian carnage yet left green?"

PL ok. Thanks !

Sonia
RossKlatte

Post by RossKlatte »

At first, I didn't understand where you were getting your information about 40db of background noise.

So, for the benefit of new users of Checker.exe who might be as puzzled as I:

click on Validation in the top bar.
from the drop down list, click on Choose Validation Methods.
The default is File Names, Technical Specifications, Waveform. You need to check Background Noise.
Having done this, pick either Gentle or Strict.
If you choose Strict, Checker.exe will Fail your recording if the background noise is >40
If you choose Gentle, Checker.exe will pass your recording with a Warning if the background noise is >40

If, however, you choose Strict and then check off ID3 Metadata (in addition to Background Noise), Checker.exe will fail you if you use the correct filename. For example, odes_19_horace_128kb.mp3 fails because including the bitrate "_128kb" in the filename is prohibited by Checker.exe. So, don't combine Strict checking with ID3 Metadata checking.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you douglas and sonia!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

ross, please dont take everything the checker says as the gospel. the background noise should be measured by ears if possible. and the checker will fail your recording if you dont have underscores in your file names.

the checker is really really handy to make sure your technical settings (bit rate, sample rate etc.) are good, and to meassure your volume. anything concerning the sound is very difficult to measure by technology. even 89 decibel of volume sounds different from voice to voice :)

trust your ears!
Carolin
RossKlatte

Post by RossKlatte »

Kitty/Sonia/Carolin
Here is another version of Vile Potabis. I really can't tell much difference. I believe you still have the first one, so you can pick the lesser of the two evils.
Duration is 1:01
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/odes_21_horace_128kb.mp3
RossKlatte
RossKlatte

Post by RossKlatte »

23 Book I - XXII - Integer Vitae
RossKlatte
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RossKlatte wrote:Kitty/Sonia/Carolin
Here is another version of Vile Potabis. I really can't tell much difference. I believe you still have the first one, so you can pick the lesser of the two evils.
Duration is 1:01
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/odes_21_horace_128kb.mp3
RossKlatte
Hi Ross, checked your recording, I think it is better this time. Thank you. Was already marked PL ok in MW anyway.

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you ross and sonia!
Carolin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Can I also claim another small ode for myself please: Book II - VI - Septimi, Gades

Sonia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

sure, thank you sonia!
Carolin
dwthor01

Post by dwthor01 »

Hello Carolin,

Perhaps this is not the place to pose the question, but I would like to bring up the fact that John Milton has translated Book I Ode V Quis Multa Gracilis.. of Horace. I believe it much superior to Connington's version, and considering the very few translations Milton has done, I thought we might be able to do a double-version of Ode V. Here is the text: https://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/fifth_ode/text.shtml

I would, of course, voluntarily read Milton's version, if you decide to add it, but I understand that it's not my decision.

I would also like to sign up for section 44 and 45.

Thank you,

Douglas
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you douglas.

we cannot add any other poems or translations to this project, but you can always read random poems for the short poetry collection.
Carolin
dwthor01

Post by dwthor01 »

Carolin wrote:thank you douglas.

we cannot add any other poems or translations to this project, but you can always read random poems for the short poetry collection.

No problem.