[COMPLETE] Calculus Made Easy by S. P. Thompson - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jessieyun0404

Post by jessieyun0404 »

Thanks Jo! :)

Jessie
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thank you so much everybody. I'm really tired and I'm going to bed now, so I'll finish reading and replying to all these posts tomorrow. Please nobody claim anything more until we've have gotten everything sorted out. I'm so glad there are other people interested :D
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Adamski wrote:Regarding reading the symbols, the text itself gives some direction to that effect. For example, on page 1:
These dreadful symbols are:
(1) d which merely means “a little bit of.”
Thus dx means a little bit of x; or du means a little bit of u. Ordinary
mathematicians think it more polite to say “an element of,”
instead of “a little bit of.” Just as you please. But you will find that
these little bits (or elements) may be considered to be indefinitely small.
(2) Z [the text has the long S thingy here]
which is merely a long S, and may be called (if you like) “the
sum of.”
Thus Z
dx means the sum of all the little bits of x; or Z
dt means
the sum of all the little bits of t. Ordinary mathematicians call this
symbol “the integral of.”
That's what it means, but not how it should be recorded, I think. In my opinion, "dx" should be read "dee ex" and the long S is "the integral of..."
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

TriciaG wrote: That's what it means, but not how it should be recorded, I think. In my opinion, "dx" should be read "dee ex" and the long S is "the integral of..."
Agreed. In fact, he tells us to pronounce "dee ex" just that way.
I think my quote from the text was a little over extensive, and I didn't make my point well. :?

I took a look at those links on how to read equations, and I think they will be very helpful. :)
The surest way to eliminate a right is to declare it an obligation

My current projects

Doctor Dolittle
TinaRenee

Post by TinaRenee »

Hi Everyone,

I also have a B.S. in Math but like Tricia, it's been a few years. ;)

I am not so much concerned about how to read the formulas as I am how to deal with the figures. Math is so symbolic -- I don't know how one would make sense of the math without seeing the figures.

Tina
“Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.” -Henry Van Dyke
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Wow, great resources! I disclaim any credit for Larry's Speakeasy though. :roll:

I like to read and PL a wide variety of things, but since I really don't know what calculus is, I will pass on this one. This is unlike my daughter who, although a psychology major, called her freshman year upset because she couldn't fit calculus into her schedule. Why was she upset, I asked. "Oh, Dad, I need something for fun!"

I'll see what I can do somewhere along the line. Kudos for tackling this :thumbs:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

When we did Relativity (which I PL'd parts of), we did the best we could with the formulas, but we didn't get too hung up on reading them so that they could be written perfectly from listening to the recording (that would have been very complicated, with some of the ones that had integrals and multiple orders of operations and things like "n-1" as an exponent). With some of them, it was not easy to tell if 1 was meant to be the numeral 1 or the letter I. Or the letter l. We added a note in the summary to refer to the text if exact representations of figures and formulas were needed. That was not a word-perfect project.

I thought dx was derivative of x, but it's been quite a while. :)
Laurie Anne
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

jessieyun0404 wrote:WOW! Rachel, you have a interesting project in your hands! Math is one of my favorites (yes, I know. It's rare to find a Math Lover :lol:)

I would love to read this but I don't know how to read all the things written in the book :shock:
I only know subtract and multiple. :lol:

So I would like to listen it! If you would sign be as DPL it would be wonderful and I would glad to be in.

Thanks
Availle wrote:Jessie, this is word perfect PLing.

If you don't know how to read the formulas yourself, I don't think you should DPL and check whether other people's reading is correct... I think we really need somebody to DPL who knows what they are doing and what they are supposed to hear.
I don't do word perfect PLing for various reasons, otherwise I would help out here.
jessieyun0404 wrote:
Ava, I understand. I think it will be better to reject it. I don't wanted to make it a mess. Sorry.
jessieyun0404 wrote:Nice tip! Thank you. I'll note that one when I get to record some chapters.

Jessie

Hi Jessie,
Thank you for your interest! :D I agree with Ava that we need someone who knows how to read the formulas to DPL, otherwise they won't know if someone is saying something wrong ;) So I would rather not have you DPL this project. Thanks for understanding. :) If you want to read some sections, have a look at the very cool stuff Jo and Ava posted.

Thanks! :)

Availle wrote:Rachel, in our wiki are two links to spoken mathematics, the first one links to a book that has 10 pages of calculus :wink:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/English_Pronunciation_Guides#Mathematical_Equations_and_Notations
The book itself is here (pdf only): http://web.efzg.hr/dok/MAT/vkojic/Larrys_speakeasy.pdf
I have used it before and found it useful.

I have just found out that in the textlink on page 16 (Notes to Chapter 3), we have a "How to read Differentials" :wink:

Oooooh, wonderful! I'll stick these into the first post somewhere. :D
Thanks!

Adamski wrote:
TriciaG wrote: That's what it means, but not how it should be recorded, I think. In my opinion, "dx" should be read "dee ex" and the long S is "the integral of..."

Agreed. In fact, he tells us to pronounce "dee ex" just that way.
I think my quote from the text was a little over extensive, and I didn't make my point well. :?

I took a look at those links on how to read equations, and I think they will be very helpful. :)
Dad and Tricia,
I agree! :thumbs: And yes, he does tell us how to pronounce some things :)

TinaRenee wrote:Hi Everyone,

I also have a B.S. in Math but like Tricia, it's been a few years. ;)

I am not so much concerned about how to read the formulas as I am how to deal with the figures. Math is so symbolic -- I don't know how one would make sense of the math without seeing the figures.

Tina
Hi Tina,
Yes, some of those figures will be tricky. I think we'll just have to do our best with them ;)
Thank you!

silverquill wrote: Wow, great resources! I disclaim any credit for Larry's Speakeasy though. :roll:

I like to read and PL a wide variety of things, but since I really don't know what calculus is, I will pass on this one. This is unlike my daughter who, although a psychology major, called her freshman year upset because she couldn't fit calculus into her schedule. Why was she upset, I asked. "Oh, Dad, I need something for fun!"

I'll see what I can do somewhere along the line. Kudos for tackling this :thumbs:
Thanks Larry! :lol:

chocoholic wrote:When we did Relativity (which I PL'd parts of), we did the best we could with the formulas, but we didn't get too hung up on reading them so that they could be written perfectly from listening to the recording (that would have been very complicated, with some of the ones that had integrals and multiple orders of operations and things like "n-1" as an exponent). With some of them, it was not easy to tell if 1 was meant to be the numeral 1 or the letter I. Or the letter l. We added a note in the summary to refer to the text if exact representations of figures and formulas were needed. That was not a word-perfect project.
That is helpful - thank you Laurie Anne :D
I thought dx was derivative of x, but it's been quite a while. :)
According to the text, dx is "a little bit of x" or more officially, "an element of x" :)

Thanks everybody! I think I've got the MW almost done, and I'm working on editing the first post. I have to do something right now, but I'll get back to it after dinner :D
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, you've twisted my arm. :lol: May I DPL?

I might decide to record a bit myself at some point, at which time someone will need to check over my work.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

That would be great, thank you! :D
Rachel

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Tricia added as DPL. :thumbs:

Thanks for assigning me those sections Rachel!

Let's stay here to show off this wonderful project until... let's say "tonight" :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

My current projects

Doctor Dolittle
Adamski

Post by Adamski »

Could I do section 5, please? :D

My current projects

Doctor Dolittle
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thank you, and yes! :D
Rachel

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 0:

0:22 - after author name, say, "Preface to the Second Edition, Prologue". (SweetPea - your intro instructions have "Section [number], [section title]" for the intro. I assume just the section title is OK for section 0? Correct me if I'm wrong.)

0:31 - an electronic thump/bump/click sound to edit out

Section 1:

0:22 - after author name, say, "Section 1" then you already have the "Chapter 1..." part.