[COMPLETE] Calculus Made Easy by S. P. Thompson - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm. Now at 9:05 it says, "will vary with respect vary with respect to..." :lol: Just snip out one.

Hint: If it were mine, I'd probably snip from the P sound in "respect" to the P in the next instance of "respect." Those are usually firm breaks in the wave form, and make a nice, clean edit. (Either that or the T sounds in both words.)

The other edit and the volume are A-OK.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
LeVB

Post by LeVB »

TriciaG,
You've dealt very graciously with this novice editor. : ) Third time's the charm, right? We can hope. Here are the corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_07_thompson_128kb.mp3

Thank you!
Le
LeVB

Post by LeVB »

Paul,
The documents have variations on how to read the same equations. My goal is to give a visual of what I see in a way that someone could write it fluidly. I'd be interested in hearing how others approach the equations.

And if anyone would like to look at the equation on page 39 and give suggestions on how to read it, I'd be grateful!
(http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf?session_id=008c3c454f1e0372cbd1b69012b60de9f8e7a8b1)

Le : )
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Paul E J King wrote:I would like to take on part 9 as a reader in this project (if it is unclaimed as the MW says). My only issue is that since this is a project run by multiple people, I would suppose we would have to all agree on names for certain kinds of notation. I noticed you provide links to documents for such issues. How closely do we need to follow them?
Hi Paul,
Welcome to this project! I have signed you up for section 9, thank you for claiming :D
I don't think everyone will read everything exactly the same way. A couple of people found those documents for if anyone needs help figuring out how to read something in particular, but variations are okay as long as they make sense in audio form. :)
LeVB wrote:And if anyone would like to look at the equation on page 39 and give suggestions on how to read it, I'd be grateful!
(http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33283/33283-pdf.pdf?session_id=008c3c454f1e0372cbd1b69012b60de9f8e7a8b1)

I can check it out tomorrow if nobody else has by then - I'm going to bed now ;)

Thanks!
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Paul E J King

Post by Paul E J King »

LeVB wrote:And if anyone would like to look at the equation on page 39 and give suggestions on how to read it, I'd be grateful!

Interesting way to present the Quotient Rule.

But I teach long division of polynomials in my Grade 12 Advanced functions course: it is done in a way that is a little old-fashioned, and applied to differentials, which I hadn't seen before. On the top row, the dividend is on the left of the backwards "L", and in the middle is the divisor. The result, the quotient, is the expression on the far right of the top row, to the right of the other "L".

So, "v plus dv is divided into u plus du gives the result u over v plus du over v minus u times dv over v-squared", would be my "quick-and-dirty" reading of the question and result.

To read the whole thing is just to read it just like long division of plain old numbers, except you are applying this to expressions. As always in long division, remember that you are sutracting. To make it listenable, I would describe the process as I go.

Wikipedia reference for "plain old long division of numbers" in case you need it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_division
Paul E J King

Post by Paul E J King »

BTW, I would also like to read some actual text, so I would like to claim Part 10 also.
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thanks Paul! :)

I've signed you up for Section 10.
Rachel

“My behavior is nonetheless, deplorable. Unfortunately, I’m quite prone to such bouts of deplorability--take for instance, my fondness for reading books at the dinner table.” - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Paul E J King

Post by Paul E J King »

Section 10 complete:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_10_thompson_128kb.mp3

I will do 9 over the weekend, from the Google Drive file provided.
Jargoniel

Post by Jargoniel »

I would like to claim Sections 12 and 13 please!
Jargoniel

"Your existence is not impossible, but it's also not very likely." - Cecil Palmer
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Paul E J King wrote:Section 10 complete:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_10_thompson_128kb.mp3

I will do 9 over the weekend, from the Google Drive file provided.
Thank you! :)
Do you have a duration for the recording? I just need that to check that the whole file uploaded properly. Thanks!

Jargoniel wrote:I would like to claim Sections 12 and 13 please!
Thanks for claiming! :) Those sections are all yours.
Rachel

Paul E J King

Post by Paul E J King »

SweetPea wrote: Do you have a duration for the recording? I just need that to check that the whole file uploaded properly. Thanks!
The time is 5:28.

Part 9 is now done (Time 10:17)
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/calculusmadeeasy_09_thompson_128kb.mp3

I would also like to claim parts 27, 28, and 29
SweetPea

Post by SweetPea »

Thank you for your section! :)

And those sections are yours as well, thanks :D
Rachel

Paul E J King

Post by Paul E J King »

SweetPea wrote:Thank you for your section! :)

And those sections are yours as well, thanks :D
Thanks for granting me that. I took a look at the section, and what do you say about "speaking" graphs and tables? There are many graphs such as those on page 142. Do I just state their equations?

Also, what about tables such as the one on page 144 or page 157? Skip them? Just mention what they are?

Paul King
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 7: PL OK!

Section 9:

0:38 - A choked, cut off "A" before "Question A"

1:19, 1:21 - Repeated: "Question C" - cut out one of these. :)

2:05 - loud lip smack

3:41 - text: "1.3709x" I hear "1.3079x"

7:28 - on the rest of the answers, you said "Answer:" first. On this one you didn't.

9:16 - text: "−0.00097" you missed the negative. :)

One comment: when you have a sum or difference squared in the denominator, you read it something like, "open bracket, x+2, close bracket, all squared". If I were just listening, I'd think that the entire fraction was squared, not just the denominator. I don't think these need fixing so I didn't note the times, but in future, perhaps say "...close bracket, squared"?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 10:

Sample rate incorrect; 48,000 Hz. To fix, go to Tracks/Resample and select 44100. Then change the Project Rate in the bottom left corner to 44100. (I'm not sure if you have to resample, but I know this 2-step process worked for me when I just tested it out.)

Volume a little high. You could amplify by -2 or so, if you like. Or else we'll adjust it at cataloging. :)

3:17 - text:

Code: Select all

d(dy/dx)
-------
  dx
I hear: "d by dy by dx by dx".
Should it be "d of dy by dx by dx"?

3:31 - loud lip smack

4:15 - text: "d3y/dx3 = f'''(x)" - you say for the f'''(x) part, "which is the third derivative of x". For consistency, should you say instead, "f triple prime of x"?

same at 4:28 for f''''(x)

4:37 - "which is the fifth derivative, which is zero" for consistency and accuracy, perhaps "f five prime of x, equals zero"

And, greetings from Durham Region!