[COMPLETE] Dead Men's Shoes by Mary Elizabeth Braddon - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

miss stav wrote:Of course you may. I think you will enjoy every minute.
I sure did!

Here is Section 04: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/deadmensshoes_04_braddon_128kb.mp3
Duration: 14:27.

I got quite a loud background buzz and had to use noise removal pretty heavily, so I'll be interested in what Gail thinks of it as DPL.

Thanks.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thanks. How about you take 2 and 3 to fill in the gap?
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi -

Section 04 is PL OK.

The sound is fine. A little over 84 dB so that is within the range Librivox specifies.

You do have quite a few splosives - where the microphone has popped. You might get around those by changing your microphone placement so that it doesn't get the wee puff of wind when you say "p" and similar sounds.

With regard to the buzzing. I have had that problem as well. In my case it was mostly due to electrical interference and I got around it by unplugging my laptop when recording. That also resulted in the fan running much less, removing another source of background noise. I'm also careful that the cord to my microphone isn't near any of the other cords running to the computer in case there is some interference produced that way.

miss stav may also have some advice.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Actually the volume range is 86 to 92 dB so you may want to ask the reader to raise the volume a little.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you both. Actualy, I am not the most tecnicly orianted person, so would rather not give the wrong advice.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

wib66 wrote:Actually the volume range is 86 to 92 dB so you may want to ask the reader to raise the volume a little.
Thanks, Michele. I thought that the range was 83 - 89 dB. Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
wib66

Post by wib66 »

no problem thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thank you all. I was just wondering, where it says that name and section tags are no longer required, does this mean that ALL the ID3 tags are now to be left completely blank?
Thanks.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

chocmuse wrote:Thank you all. I was just wondering, where it says that name and section tags are no longer required, does this mean that ALL the ID3 tags are now to be left completely blank?
Thanks.
Yes - they are automatically filled in when we catalog. (You don't have to explicitly blank them - they'll be overwritten.)

Thanks, Todd
chocmuse

Post by chocmuse »

Thanks Todd.

Section 04 is now re-uploaded with the volume changed. It's the same file otherwise.

Stav, thanks for the offer, but I won't take you up on it just yet. I'll get back to you later if I have the time. Still working on Section 05 for now :)
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

Hi Todd -

I've encountered a little glitch with finding "Dead Men's Shoes...". When I go in through the catalog using Braddon as they key word, it comes up, along with all the others finished and in progress. However, when I click on the title of DMS I get an error which reads "We weren't able to find that project....". I don't get that error for any of the other projects in progress though.

Cheers

Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I think I have fixed it. I forgot to put the forum link in the project page when I set up the MW.

Thanks, Todd
gailtv

Post by gailtv »

ToddHW wrote:I think I have fixed it. I forgot to put the forum link in the project page when I set up the MW.

Thanks, Todd
Hi Todd - Yes, you have fixed it. Thanks. Gail
instagram
#gailtv.art
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you so much. Hope you enjoyed it. Want more?