COMPLETE: War Surgery From Firing Line to Base- Hughes -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

War Surgery - From Firing Line to Base by Basil Hughes M.A., D.O.S. (1878 - 1953) and others.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/war-surgery-by-basil-hughes/

Volunteers outside the USA: Basil Hughes died in 1953. His/Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
One of the first volumes dedicated to systematized medical treatment of soldiers in modern warfare, including a chapter on specific care for airmen, by British doctors who served on the front lines of WWI. Graphic descriptions (and images in the source book) of war wounds are not for the weak of heart. ( BellonaTimes)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=chi.086260531;view=1up;seq=9
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military

Keywords that describe the book: non-fiction, WWI, war surgery, text-book

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "[Chapter [number] Part [number] of War Surgery - From Firing Line to Base. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "War Surgery - From Firing Line to Base, by Basil Hughes and H. Stanley Banks. [Chapter [number], [Chapter title], Part [number]" if it's a long chapter broken into additional sections

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of [Chapter [number], Part [number]" or just "End of [Chapter [number]" if it's the last section of the chapter
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of War Surgery - From Firing Line to Base, by Basil Hughes and H. Stanley Banks. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      warsurgery_##_hughes_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. warsurgery_01_hughes_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags (NOTE: ID3 tags are now optional - they are added automatically during cataloging)
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Artist: Basil Hughes and H. Stanley Banks
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: War Surgery - From Firing Line to Base

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by BellonaTimes on August 18th, 2015, 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

The profile on Dr. Hughes is from a British medical site, I think RCM-affiliated, not Wikipedia. I haven't found a bio of his co-author, Dr. Banks, except that Hathi says born 1890.

I've got dibs on the Preface & Chapter 1 (already recorded); the rest is up to you. I imagine this will take up to a year to record. 600 pages, but that includes the sometimes gory illustrations. There is the expected technical jargon, including Latin names.
My Catalog Page
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC. If I have time I will probably sign up to read at least part of the chapter on bacteria of wounds as well depending on how you divide it up. :)

MW will be along shortly.
Jo
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:I'll MC. If I have time I will probably sign up to read at least part of the chapter on bacteria of wounds as well depending on how you divide it up. :)

Thanks, Jo; I've got you on for Ch 4 - Bacteria of Wounds. Thanks also for shortening the title of the file. :)

I've gone ahead and added chapter headings. I think most can fit the 80 minute cut-off length.

I've upped my two sections and I know I left something out of the intros on both, PL-person. ;)
My Catalog Page
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi BT - may I have Chapter 12?
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

BellonaTimes wrote:
knotyouraveragejo wrote:I'll MC. If I have time I will probably sign up to read at least part of the chapter on bacteria of wounds as well depending on how you divide it up. :)

Thanks, Jo; I've got you on for Ch 4 - Bacteria of Wounds. Thanks also for shortening the title of the file. :)

I've gone ahead and added chapter headings. I think most can fit the 80 minute cut-off length.
Chapter 4 is 52 pages long. At 350 -400 words per page read at a pretty good clip of 150 words per minute that would still be over 2 hours of recording. Considering the subject matter, I would suggest splitting anything longer than about 30 minutes into separate sections. It will be much easier to get readers that way and much better for the listeners!
Jo
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Wow! I love this stuff, and will sign up for some reading later on. I trained and worked as a physician assistant for many years, and find the stories of early medicine and surgery fascinating.

I'd love to serve as DPL, if you would like one.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Okay, just thought you would like to know that I listened to those first two sections, and they are PL OK! So, you're off to a good start!
~ Larry
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Hmm. I like reading medical stuff too and I'm pretty up with the medical and anatomical terms. I might start with the chapter on Gunshot Wounds to the Abdomen. That's my husband's surgical specialty so I can ask for help if I need it! ;)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Elizabby wrote:... Gunshot Wounds to the Abdomen. That's my husband's surgical specialty...
:shock:
I wish I lived in a world where such a speciality was never needed... :?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
BellonaTimes wrote:

Chapter 4 is 52 pages long. At 350 -400 words per page read at a pretty good clip of 150 words per minute that would still be over 2 hours of recording. Considering the subject matter, I would suggest splitting anything longer than about 30 minutes into separate sections. It will be much easier to get readers that way and much better for the listeners!
Okay, but is there a way of splitting this chapter without me having to retitle the remaining chapters? Does the template have a cut-and-paste option that can be inserted between 4 and 5 to automatically move down a space? Don't they have this option in Dramatic readings for narrative elements?
My Catalog Page
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

silverquill wrote:Okay, just thought you would like to know that I listened to those first two sections, and they are PL OK! So, you're off to a good start!
Thank you, you can DPL.
8-)
My Catalog Page
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, you can add sections and then drag and drop the row wherever it belongs in the table.
Jo
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

thanks!
fixed.
My Catalog Page
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

First, thanks for letting me ride along as DPL! This will be a lot of fun.

Now, in looking this over for some fascinating chapters to read, my first choices would be Chapters 10 Septicemia and Chapter 20 Gunshot Injuries of the Thorax

Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to copy and paste in order to get an accurate word count. But, sampling a few pages (downloading single pages) I get an average of about 450 words per page, conservatively. That would make Ch. 10 about 8,000 words and Ch. 20 over 12,000. So, we may need to divide up quite few of these chapters. ( I would take the entire chapters, however divided.)

And, since the chapters and sections will be out of sync, it might be good to clarify if the intro/outro should be given as chapter or section number. It's just that I've found this confusing on other projects like this, and I've messed up.

Another minor question -- in briefly scanning some of this, I notice that some chapters have references to temperature. Should we have an agreed on for reading 100 C? I've finally learned to say Celsius, but when written it would have been Centigrade.

Well, that's it for now 8-)
~ Larry