COMPLETE: War Surgery From Firing Line to Base- Hughes -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

I agree about designating section numbers in the presentation. I adjusted the directions for the template.

I've added your name to the MW for Chapters 10 & 20.

Have you tried opening up the chapters via text format on Hathi or Google Books? Not sure if you can d/l a full text version. Archive only has a microform version, the txt version of which is unreadable. I know optical scans usually suck, especially when there are a lot of illustrations, but are pretty helpful to do word counts. Cut and paste into a Word document, then click on Word count. Once you have figured out how many sections needed, I'll update the MW. I would do this myself but I don't have a large enough computer screen.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

I would like to read Section 7, if possible.

Thanks,

Pam
P.S.
I'm an MD specializing in infectious diseases so I know how to pronounce the medical words.
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

pnagami wrote:I would like to read Section 7, if possible.

Thanks,

Pam
P.S.
I'm an MD specializing in infectious diseases so I know how to pronounce the medical words.
Thank you, but do you want Section 7 (Wounds II) or Chapter 7? We're having to split up some of the longer chapters
My Catalog Page
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Section 7: Wounds Infections Part II please.
Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

pnagami wrote:Section 7: Wounds Infections Part II please.
Pam
Added to the MW. If you need to split the reading into two parts -- like an hour each -- please tell us so we can adjust the MW.
Thx
My Catalog Page
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Yes, please. Split my section in two and assign me to both parts. In the book I was looking at the part from page 95 to page 139.
Thanks,
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

P.S.
I was able to download the book from Google Advanced Book Search when the Hathi Trust didn't work for me.
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, usually the BC provides word counts for sections. I know I really like to know that before I decide to claim a section.

I could find no easy way to do this, however. Google Books have effectively blocked copying of the text of any of their books. I'll reserve comments on what this says about this company and their questionable tactics. Hathi does have a feature to convert to plain text which can be copied, but only ONE page at a time. This was a real pain, but I did it for my two sections with the following results:

Chapter X: 7,152 words
Chapter XX: 14,529 words

So I have divided this into two sections as follows:

"Chapter XX: Gunshot Injuries to the Thorax - Part One
Read through ""This latter can, however, be readily recognised."" p.521" 7059 words

"Chapter XX: Gunshot Injuries to the Thorax - Part Two
Read from ""Examination of Haemothorax Fluid"" p. 521" 7470 words

From past experience, these should come in a bit under sixty minutes, so I think we'll be okay.

I am a little concerned that if we divide up these longer chapters piecemeal, then the section numbers will be off. Easy enough to do in the MW, but when a reader identifies the section by number, as should be done, and then the sections are renumbered because new ones have been inserted, then there is a problem. If you can come up with an easier way to get the word counts, it would be much better to set this up front, I would think.

Another question I raised was the reading of the temperature designation C. I plan to read it as Centigrade because this would be how it would have been written out in a book of this period. Reading Celsius would just be too anachronistic, in my opinion.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

I am ready to start recording my assigned Section 7 (in the text "Chapter 6: Wound Infections Continued"), but unsplit, it will exceed the upload maximum as it comprises 40 pages of small print. I might just start to record the first half anyway but wait to upload it until directed how by BT.
Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
smijen

Post by smijen »

I have my section recorded but am wondering about the intro/outro as well. If we're not sure if/how the sections will be split, I'm wondering if readers should just say "Chapter X, Part 1" and so on. I'm afraid I'm calling mine "Section 13" today, but it might end up being section 15 or 16.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

silverquill wrote:Well, usually the BC provides word counts for sections. I know I really like to know that before I decide to claim a section.
That may be your preference, but it isn't mandatory for a BC to provide word counts. When reading from scans that isn't always practical. Letting the readers decide where to split the chapters and adding sections in the MW is a perfectly reasonable option.
I am a little concerned that if we divide up these longer chapters piecemeal, then the section numbers will be off. Easy enough to do in the MW, but when a reader identifies the section by number, as should be done, and then the sections are renumbered because new ones have been inserted, then there is a problem. If you can come up with an easier way to get the word counts, it would be much better to set this up front, I would think.
Again, this really isn't up to you, Larry. It's up to the BC to decide. He added the section numbers to the intro at your suggestion, but we don't need to identify the sections by number in the recordings as long as the reader clearly states the chapter # and Part # - which is how the intros and outros were originally set up. This often is how I do my own solos, and it will work here as well.
Another question I raised was the reading of the temperature designation C. I plan to read it as Centigrade because this would be how it would have been written out in a book of this period. Reading Celsius would just be too anachronistic, in my opinion.
Centigrade is the correct terminology in this case, or you can just say 25 degrees "C" if you wish.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

smijen wrote:I have my section recorded but am wondering about the intro/outro as well. If we're not sure if/how the sections will be split, I'm wondering if readers should just say "Chapter X, Part 1" and so on. I'm afraid I'm calling mine "Section 13" today, but it might end up being section 15 or 16.
Yes I agree Chapter X, Part 1, etc is the way to go. Hopefully our BC agrees. Meanwhile I've taken the liberty of editing the first post accordingly.
Jo
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I've just had a detailed look at my section and it is 32 pages long. I'm not sure how long it will be in recorded time though (there are some diagrams and tables so it won't be as long as it looks) so I don't really know if I should split it or not. If I record the whole thing and it comes in under 60 mins or so, can I keep it as one section? Or are we aiming for sections of closer to 30 mins?
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

pnagami wrote:I am ready to start recording my assigned Section 7 (in the text "Chapter 6: Wound Infections Continued"), but unsplit, it will exceed the upload maximum as it comprises 40 pages of small print. I might just start to record the first half anyway but wait to upload it until directed how by BT.
Pam
Hi Pam

Thanks for your input. I'll adjust your section for an initial two-section entry for uploads. If a third is necessary, don't hesitate to ask for it.

Have you downloaded the book in PDF format from Google Books (see link below), or are you reading from the Hathi source? The pages of the Google copy can be enlarged for easier reading. This option varies from computer to computer; the larger the viewing screen the better.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ctchAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Basil+Hughes&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CB4Q6AEwAGoVChMIi4zS7Zu_xwIVgyweCh0magLe#v=onepage&q=Basil%20Hughes&f=true
My Catalog Page
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Silverquill,
I have the pdf downloaded into the Google Play app of my ipad mini, so it can be enlarged yes.
I'll take a wack at the two sections and see how it plays.
Thanks!
Pam
Last edited by pnagami on August 23rd, 2015, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Louis Stevenson