[COMPLETE] Criminal Investigation Vol 2 by Hans Gross - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
zaftigkre

Post by zaftigkre »

Here is Section 12:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/criminalinvestigation2_12_gross_128kb.mp3

33 min 23 sec

I added a note that there were two pages missing in the text. I also tried to described Figures 37 and 38, rather awkwardly! Let me know if these are okay.

I will record Section 13 next weekend, probably, and get it to you in a couple of weeks.

Katherine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

zaftigkre wrote:Here is Section 12:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/criminalinvestigation2_12_gross_128kb.mp3

33 min 23 sec

I added a note that there were two pages missing in the text. I also tried to described Figures 37 and 38, rather awkwardly! Let me know if these are okay.

I will record Section 13 next weekend, probably, and get it to you in a couple of weeks.

Katherine
Which pages are missing? Perhaps I can find them in another scan.

EDIT: Oh, silly me! I even noted that in the Magic Window. This seems to match up. Would you be able to patch this in?
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112021004947;view=1up;seq=446
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
zaftigkre

Post by zaftigkre »

Oh, yes! I can patch in the extra pages. I'm glad you found them - it's a rather jarring transition without them.
eskemo

Post by eskemo »

TriciaG wrote:
I didn't notice any pronunciation errors. Your reading is good. :) I do suggest leaving more pauses. There are a lot of sentences that come so quickly after the previous one, the listener doesn't have time to process what was said. Did you cut out your breaths? If you have to remove them, I suggest de-amplifying them rather than cutting them out entirely. That will preserve your natural speech flow.

Section 25:

0:00 - Please start by saying, "Section 25 of Criminal investigation, Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org" After that will be the part you have in the recording.

0:10 - instead of saying "Chapter 13 continued", please say, "Footprints and other Impressions, continued"

Around 12:46 to the end, the volume is generally quieter than the rest. It's somewhat gradual, so I can't give a definite spot where it's quieter, but maybe you could amplify the file about 3 dB from 12:46 to the end.

Thanks!
Edit #2 of section 25:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/criminalinvestigation2_25_gross_128kb.mp3

New length 25:47
Same recording with added intro, left in some pauses previously removed, and amplified; but this recording was done in about 12 separate sessions and I can hear the difference in mic placement.
I'd be happy to try to do it in one go with a consistent mic setup.
I leave it to you dear BC, because it would take me a couple weeks and you'd have to sit through another 25 odd minutes of listening. :|
To re-record or work with this one?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks! I'll take a listen.

If it's OK except for volume differences, would you be OK if I evened them out a bit myself? I prefer having permission before tampering with someone else's recording. :lol:
chuckeazay22

Post by chuckeazay22 »

Thanks for your kind words:) I think i have made the adjustments that are necessary.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/criminalinvestigation2_19_gross_128kb.mp3

TriciaG wrote:Section 19:

Very well read! It almost was as if the author was speaking to me.

0:00 - Intro should be "Section 19 of Criminal investigation, Volume 2. This is a LibriVox recording..." (not "part 3, crafts available to the investigating officer")

15:00 - Since you're in the file anyway, please say "end of section 19" rather than just "end of section". :)

File is exported as variable bit rate. This is set when you export to MP3. When you go to export, on the screen where you enter the file name for the MP3, click the Options button. The Bit Rate mode should be Constant, and the quality should be 128 kbps. You should only have to set it once; it'll remember the setting until you change it again.

(For the record, "draughtsman" is pronounced "draftsman" - and if in future you see "draught", that's "draft". ;))
Charles E. Lewis
eskemo

Post by eskemo »

TriciaG wrote:Thanks! I'll take a listen.

If it's OK except for volume differences, would you be OK if I evened them out a bit myself? I prefer having permission before tampering with someone else's recording. :lol:
Absolutely :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sections 19 and 25 spot checked and PL OK!

I did do a little volume leveling on section 25. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 12 is PL OK as to what's there. When you upload the section with the added pages, could you please also let me know the approximate time stamp of the addition? :)
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

I think this post & recording belong in this project - haven't figured out how to move posts from one thread to another yet... :)
fvelezcarri wrote:I finally finished my recording of the sections! Sorry I took so long please let me know how it is!
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/Wandering_Tribes_section_2-4.mp3
Kathrine
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Section 9 (Wandering Tribes ii-iv):

0:00 - said "Section 2 of Criminal Investigation." should be section 9.

0:14 - after "visit LibriVox.org" say, "Criminal investigation: a Practical Handbook for Magistrates, Police Officers and Lawyers, Volume 2, by Hans Gross. Translated by John Adam and John Collyer Adam. Wandering Tribes, continued."

4:58 - "he has no need to prepare it" - a pause, then a stumble such that I don't understand the next few words. I understand "or in such detail..."

5:39 - "and indefatigable attention, observe..." a nose breath in here which rattles my speakers. ;) You can copy about 3/4 of a second of non-speaking space from elsewhere and paste it in here to remove the sound.

7:14 - stumble & repeat: "Calmness in carrying out the thief... the theft itself" should be easy to cut out "the thief"

8:00-8:03 - stumbles & pause: "He is not content with turning it" - can be cleaned up

8:54 - stumbles: "for one finds often enough"

9:01-9:10 - "living and thieving with them...on their own account." Loud background noise. Please re-record this portion.

10:21 - "of that crime with those qualities" - loud background noise. Please re-record

10:51 - "A theft will never be committed by a gipsy..." Hesitation and stumble on "committed"

10:56 - thump in a silence. Please delete

12:12 - stumbles: "deep wounds, which for the most part must have been inflicted after death" (and missing the word "which")

12:17 - "partly to increase their safety by making certain" - a loud noise in the sentence - needs to be re-recorded

14:37-14:41 "end of section 2. Wandering tribes, continued." please remove this. The wording is only for the beginning and end of the audio file.

17:48 - "End of section 4." Please delete this

18:07 - "not one single case" - loud noise in the phrase. Needs redoing.

18:24 - "so that the owners" - loud click on "so" that should be deleted

21:05 - "there's another p..." cut off such that it isn't understandable

22:54 - "deal with gipsies and has learned to know this people" - this isn't understandable because it's missing "and has". Please re-record the sentence.

24:02 - "end of section 4" should be "end of section 9" followed by 5 seconds of silence.

File name should be criminalinvestigation2_09_gross_128kb

Please amplify the entire file by 6 dB. This will be possible when you've removed the louder noises mentioned above. For future recordings, you'll want to check your volume and get it higher. :)

A bit of advice about editing:
(1) start from the back and work forward. That way the time stamps do not change when you cut out or add more recording.
(2) when re-recording a phrase or a word, read the entire sentence and then replace a few words or a whole phrase. That way your phrasing and vocal inflections are correct and there aren't any jarring edits.

Final comment about the recording, since this is basically your test recording: In the beginning of the recording, you had background noise but inserted silence in the spots where you weren't speaking. This is very jarring to the ears and isn't recommended. It's better to leave a little noise there than make the silences into dead silence while still having the noise in the vocals themselves.
DillonSiedentopf

Post by DillonSiedentopf »

Greetings! I'd like to speak for your four orphans, Sections 28-31.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome to the project, Dillon! The 4 sections are yours. Holler if you have any questions. 8-)
DillonSiedentopf

Post by DillonSiedentopf »

TriciaG wrote:Welcome to the project, Dillon! The 4 sections are yours. Holler if you have any questions. 8-)
Thanks!

A few potential reading oddities come up around the text's references to its figures and images. Page 517 has:
That is to say the line indicating the direction in which the pedestrian is advancing a a, a' a', a" a" (Fig. 94).
I could hit those three couplets each with a different inflection, I could say "aie aie, aie single-quote aie single-quote, aie double-quote aie double-quote," or "apostrophe" and "quote," for instance. I lean toward the former myself, but is there a preference for this case?