[COMPLETE] Melmoth The Wanderer by Charles Maturin-smij

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

That's great. Now you can hitt the road
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
machei

Post by machei »

OK.

At long, long LONG last, here is Chapter 5 part 4. Sorry again for the delay. I truly hope that getting you the next one won't be as long a wait.

https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/melmoththewanderer_11_maturin_128kb.mp3

Clocks in at 44:52. I hope it makes for a good listen. :)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you ever so much.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I would like to orphan chapters 9 (section 19), 15 (section 25) and chapter 23 (section 34). I may get the section/ chapter numbers wrong (dispight checking 5 times), but I mean the chapters I listed.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

PL Notes for Chapter 5, Part. 4. Just a couple of little things. Great reading of a long, wordy chapter :) (Actually a portion of a chapter!!)

At 19:23 "that the fingers move" should be "that the figures move". At 19:41 "beatitude" should be "be at i tude"
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
machei

Post by machei »

mhhbook wrote:PL Notes for Chapter 5, Part. 4. Just a couple of little things. Great reading of a long, wordy chapter :) (Actually a portion of a chapter!!)

At 19:23 "that the fingers move" should be "that the figures move". At 19:41 "beatitude" should be "be at i tude"
Your review came much quicker than my creation. :wink:

Thank you for taking the time to give it a good listen. I'm glad that, for the most part, it was acceptable. Now you mention it, it really was a pretty long, crazy portion of text. :P

I'll see if I can fix up these two little flubs ASAP for you. This shouldn't be too difficult to sort out in the coming week.

Cheers,
m.
bookshop

Post by bookshop »

Hi! I am SO excited about this recording—the earlier librivox version of this book was actually the recording that made me want to try reading things myself. :)

I'd like to volunteer to read Chapter 9, if I may—though it will likely be until the latter half of next week before I can get to it as I'm going to a conference.

Also I have a question: do we have a standard for how we read footnotes (i.e. do we read them when they arise or wait til the end of the chapter?), and how are we denoting the long passages where the book cuts off or breaks away, denoted by **** in the text? When I was listening to the previous version of Melmoth, the reader simply continued on with only a brief silence, and I was totally confused and kept thinking I'd missed something and wound up having to look at the text to see what was going on. So if there's a better way to do that, I think that would be nice, because if you don't know they're coming, those jumps and breaks are really jarring and significant parts of this particular text!

Thank you!

Aja
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hello
Aja,
chapter 9 is all yours. You can deal with the long passages as you see fit. But you cannot add words such as "blank", as we do not olter the original text. I would love to know what you decided. Have fun,
Stav.
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Aja,
For thought breaks denoted as * * * * * * , I think most readers would just leave a longer silence (maybe 2 seconds?), because as Stav said, we stick to the text as written so we can't add a readers' note or "break" or something like that. You can also try to change the inflection or tone of your voice so it's more obvious that it's a new section.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few are to be chewed and digested.” - Francis Bacon
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Thank you ever so much. I hope you enjoyed your sections. Would you like to continue with 32 and 34?
DJRickyV

Post by DJRickyV »

miss stav wrote:Thank you ever so much. I hope you enjoyed your sections. Would you like to continue with 32 and 34?
Sure, I can try to get them done before September. There are Greek characters in section 32 which I assume I can just skip.
“Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few are to be chewed and digested.” - Francis Bacon
machei

Post by machei »

mhhbook wrote:PL Notes for Chapter 5, Part. 4. Just a couple of little things. Great reading of a long, wordy chapter :) (Actually a portion of a chapter!!)

Here are your changes. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/smijen/melmoththewanderer_11_maturin_128kb.mp3

File clocks in at 44:52.

Cheers!
m.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

DJRickyV, 32 and 34 are all yours.
Thanks for the corrections, Martin.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

If someone would like my section (25) they can have it. It's a lovely chapter but I've been too busy with moving to work on it. Otherwise if it's still free later on I'll re-claim it.